TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 specs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TEG, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. arnis

arnis Member

AFAIK, no Tesla has Speed Limit function (function used while not on cruise control, function doesn't let vehicle to go over, even if you push accelerator further).

2. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    The Demo/Loaner Fleet has this, capped at 85 MPH

3. arnis

arnis Member

Show me a video.

4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

5. arnis

arnis Member

Oh... I mean adjustable speed limit. Adjustable on the wheel.

• Helpful x 1
  6. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

I believe he's asking if the AP camera will read speed limit sign, and adjust the default limit for engaging cruise control to current speed limit + <user configurable offset>. Especially if you don't have EAP (just regular cruise control). This is something that my AP1 Model X already does, but I do have AP. I had also heard that AP2 S and X just use a database for speed limit signs, they don't actually read them as you drive by. So... a reasonable question for someone with a 3 without EAP to expound upon.

• Like x 1
  7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm almost positive that if you don't have EAP it doesn't do speed limits.

8. arnis

arnis Member

Model 3 will lose ncap test safety points if it doesn't offer speed limiter function as standard (EU, not US).
    It doesn't have to read the speed limits but it must have a way to limit the speed manually.

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm pretty sure the Model S doesn't have this functionality, even the version sold in Europe. But it's just software, so we'll see.

10. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

@arnis
    Would valet mode qualify?

11. arnis

arnis Member

2014 Model S had speed limit sign recognition as standard. Therefore no need to have speed limit assistance.

No. Function must be available for daily use.

12. sreams

sreams Member

Good. That would be dangerous.

• Funny x 1
  13. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I’m late to the party here but man, no adaptive cruise control unless you spend $5000 for autopilot? That hurts. I was trying to keep the price down. $35,000 plus $1000 for paint, plus $5000 for premium package is already starting to get out of my price range once you add sales tax. :/. Looking like $46,000 plus tax minimum.

The wife’s CRV EX-L AWD we just bought for $30,500 has Adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, AWD, blind spot monitoring, leather, etc.

I know it’s a Honda but geez sooo much more for the “affordable” Tesla.

14. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Affordable for a car that accelerates and handles as a premium sports sedan should, is many times cheaper to fuel than a Prius and includes a massive internet connected screen.

Yeah. You're not wrong. It's not a Honda. Whew!

15. navguy12

navguy12 Member

And you refuel at home at night.....

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

The cheaper “fuel” thing is fair, but I drive like 100 miles per week. Yes it will be more when I get my Tesla because I will love driving the thing but still, probably only about a $3000 savings in “fuel” over 8 years compared to a vehicle that gets 30mpg.

I’m just saying....do $35,000 bmws not have adaptive cruise control? (Are there even $35,000 bmws?) haha. Just seems like a feature a lot of cars have these days but maybe it’s on the higher trims just like it is here.

17. David L

David L Member

No, none of the BMW 3-series comes with adaptive cruise control standard. In order to get the option of ordering it, you have to opt for the 330i for $40,250, then add $1200 for adaptive cruise control. Now you're at $41,450 and it doesn't even include 18" wheels, heated seats, navigation, collision mitigation, or upgraded sound. Add those on and now you're at $48,075! The Model 3, especially with the fuel savings and tax credit, starts looking pretty inexpensive, right?

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yeah the tax credit makes it a steal, but most of us won’t be getting that incentive.

Thanks for the breakdown vs the bmw though. How the heck does Honda give you all of those features in a freaking decent sized cross over for $30k?!

19. David L

David L Member

You may have a better chance than you think of getting a partial tax credit. The most likely scenario right now is probably $7500 through Q3 '18, $3750 though Q1 '19, and $1875 through Q3 '19. If you don't want to pay for first production, then getting the full tax credit is unlikely, but getting $3750 is possible.

From a total cost of ownership point of view, mainstream cars like Hondas can't be beat. I'm amazed by how little I "pay" for depreciation each year on my current, mainstream car; but it doesn't make me not want to buy a Model 3 though. :D

20. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Member

It's affordable compared to the S and X. A better comparison for the model three would be a BMW 330i or a MB C300.

Tesla isn't exactly trying to compete with mainstream vehicles with the 3.

They keep their costs down and rely on sales volume. I'm not trying to knock them. Honda and similar brands make solid mainstream cars. However, they are cheaper for a reason.