TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 specs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TEG, Jul 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. arnis

arnis Member

1110€ for the option and 37 800€ for the vehicle, 320i (that already includes 20% VAT, my country).
    Don't know exactly how much tax there is on base Model 3 in US.

Cheapest new BMW costs 27 400€ (again, with tax). And even that cheap box has all inclusive (except tires) service up to 100 000km and all inclusive warranty up to 200 000km (124k miles).

• Informative x 2
  2. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

#442 ChrisH, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    It’s not that I don’t want a first production, it’s that it would be financially irresponsible to purchase one with our current income.

• Like x 2
  3. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

You drive so little, IMHO you don't need auto-pilot, you need public transit... or like me, buy a Smart ED for commute and Tesla for the family + weekend car.

My Smart ED is a fraction of the cost of any other commuting option, and is competitive with public transit for my trips and errands, without the inconvenience. I bought the car with the minimum amount of materials from production, driving and end of life recycle that was fit for purpose.

Maybe you don't actually "need" the Tesla 3, or auto-pilot, and you are struggling to justify this "wantful" purchase. Fine with me. Just don't claim the Model 3 is overly priced, when the reality is that it is absolutely priced well WRT it's competition.

Me, I'm getting the Model 3 because I want it, not because I need it, I could stick with my Smart ED, but I've been wanting and waiting for the Tesla 3 for 5 years...and I will have it!

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  4. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Oh for sure. This is definitely a wantful purchase. I drive 5 miles each way to and from a transit center and take a commuter rail into work 27 miles away. Always wanted a Tesla, just could never afford it. Just really like adaptive cruise control. Don’t really need/want the additional autopilot features. So maybe my $41,000 fancy Tesla won’t have adaptive cruise control lol.

• Like x 2
  5. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

As my wife has a CRV touring with all the bells and whistles and I have a Model 3, I can say that the Honda version of those features is really inferior to the Tesla version.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I too am very disappointed that there is no adaptive cruise control or blind spot detection unless ones springs for the extra $5000. It was just too much for what we were willing to spend on a car. If ones adds it you are now up to $55k a far cry from $35k.

7. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

That may be true. Us medium income folk will keep buying our Hondas and similar cars I guess :/

8. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

By blind spot detection what are you referring to? The only thing remotely similar on the 3 would be the curved line that briefly illuminates at the rear corners with passing traffic. There is no true blind spot detection I’m aware of however I’ve been wrong before.

9. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Yes but $9k of that $55k is for the long range upgrade. Later on you'll be able to opt for the standard range model and no premium package if you want.

10. doubleohwhat

I get the complaints over the standard range delay. However, I really don't understand all the complaints about the model 3 pricing. It was meant to be a more affordable Tesla and it is. A base SR 3 will be ~$40k cheaper than the cheapest S at the moment. The LR 3 with PUP is ~$50k cheaper than an S100D with PUP.

Perhaps Tesla's marketing message is off or something. I haven't seen any model 3 advertising to judge. I mean, even my wife was going on about how her Kia has more features than a base standard range model 3. I pointed out her Kia cost $45k which happens to be the price of a standard range model 3 with the premium package and AP.

My impression from the start was that the model 3 was meant to be compared to BMW 3 series and MB C class.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  11. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Elon said even the $35,000 version would be the best car you could buy for $35,000. Aside from it being an EV and being cheaper to “fuel,” it would be interesting to know what he thinks “best” means. Must not be included features.

• Like x 1
  12. doubleohwhat

Dunno. You would have to ask him. Obviously your opinion is different.

Have you considered a bolt? You can pretty much max it out and still be around $35k after the tax credit.

• Like x 1
  13. tomas

tomas Only partially psycho

Any president of a car company will say theirs is best. Grain of salt. It’s the auto press and buyers who decide. No need to dissect his words.

• Like x 1
  14. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

"Best" is always subjective anyways. It's guaranteed there is always going to be someone that has a different opinion.

For example, even considering a fully loaded car at a great price, to a car enthusiast it may be quite far from the "best" car verses a car that is less well equipped but much funner to drive.

15. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

I had new RAV4 (ICE) rental past couple of days. The adaptive cruise control is darn right dangerous imo. It has radar adaptive cruise though give up at ~20 mph, pings once and you’re on your own. Scared the heck out of me first time on 101N “slam on brake then accelerator” traffic today - it was “what’s that beep? S why isn’t the car slowing down... crap!” - thankfully <20 so easy to correct, though got pretty close to car in front to avoid car behind hitting me ;)
    Made me realized how much we have, and although expensive these features are actually driver aids that can help safety

• Informative x 1
  16. arnis

arnis Member

On that specific vehicle. It's very reliable on most vehicles.
    Also people often set following distance to -1o_O

17. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

How many vehicles remain on adaptive cruise in stop and go traffic?nissan, Tesla, ?

18. arnis

arnis Member

BMW, Mercedes... Sometimes called traffic jam assist or adaptive cruise with start-stop. And additional option allows steering as well (while in traffic).

19. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

No I haven’t considered a bolt. Looks shouldn’t matter but my goodness yes they do. I want a Tesla because it isn’t an upside down bathtub on wheels. It boggles my mind that Tesla is the only company that can make a nice looking EV. Elon said I could have one for $35,000. Guess I should know better than that lol. We may never see the $35,000 version. I am going to prepare myself for a $46,000 version and hope that it actually comes out before 2020

• Funny x 2
  20. David L

David L Member

I think "some" is probably more accurate. ACC works great on my '16 Outback. But I test drove the new 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV recently and it braked far too late when the speed delta is 15 to 20mph. I intervened because I wasn't daring enough to find out whether it would stop in time. It also frequently flashed the collision mitigation braking alert during a regular ACC braking procedure, which was very annoying.