Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does that compare to MS sizing?
The model S is cavernous with the rear seats folded down. When we have large items to carry we bring our S rather than our X. A 6’ step ladder along with a table saw, and loads of miscellaneous tools was a drop in the bucket for the S to carry. The 3 is fine for passengers but nothing beats the S for cargo, in fact the S is why they came out with "camper mode" because a 6’er can comfortably sleep back there.

The model S is cavernous with the rear seats folded down. When we have large items to carry we bring our S rather than our X. A 6’ step ladder along with a table saw, and loads of miscellaneous tools was a drop in the bucket for the S to carry. The 3 is fine for passengers but nothing beats the S for cargo, in fact the S is why they came out with "camper mode" because a 6’er can comfortably sleep back there.
Yes, I've slept in the back of my S a number of times on road trips. More convenient than pitching a tent, although the headspace is more limited. I've also managed to fit a ten foot long electrical conduit in my S. It holds a lot and the hatch makes for easy access. Terrific road trip car.

Reactions: Sunshine State
Yes, I've slept in the back of my S a number of times on road trips. More convenient than pitching a tent, although the headspace is more limited. I've also managed to fit a ten foot long electrical conduit in my S. It holds a lot and the hatch makes for easy access. Terrific road trip car.
Yeah the X is taller than the S in back but we have captains chairs in our X, they look much nicer than the basic 5 seat X config but don't afford as much room for cargo. I guess the X was intended more as a head turner than a utility vehicle but we still love it.

Yes, I've slept in the back of my S a number of times on road trips. More convenient than pitching a tent, although the headspace is more limited... Terrific road trip car.

I do love road tripping, but in my TM3 I find it easier to set up the bed and then put it away during the day. Suitcase goes under the deck in back, dirty clothes in the frunk. Rolled up mattress and pillows and bedding in the trunk.

I don't get in via the trunk but I do like the way I get a bit more privacy in the trunk. I have charged overnight at a grocery store and not been noticed as everyone walks past me in the car half hidden. I also like that the bedding and everything folds away with the seats. When I get to a friends house it looks like I just drove over from mine, yet I was on the road for a day or two getting here. Who me? Sleep in here? Nah!

I have tried a MS but was surprised by the level change where the seats fold, painful. And the back of the seats has too big a gap to bridge with pillows. I think you need a little fridge or something stuffed back there to let me lie comfortably back there

-Randy

Last edited:
...I have tried a MS but was surprised by the level change where the seats fold, painful. And the back of the seats has too big a gap to bridge with pillows. I think you need a little fridge or something stuffed back there to let me lie comfortably back there

-Randy
I use a folded bedspread to level the seats with the trunk floor and put an air mattress on top of that. Quite comfortable, save for the rather low headroom when sitting up. I find it is easiest to get out by opening the hatch with my fob, then I have lots of space. You are certainly right about the increased privacy afforded by the 3 trunk, although I am skeptical that I could get my air mattress in there. Having never been in a 3, much less with a tape measure, I can't say for sure. If it would fit, that would be a significant plus for the 3.

The old bedspread stays in the trunk for cushioning cargo or dealing with a dirt-encrusted mountain bike (easy to put in an S). The sleeping bag, air mattress and pump live in the frunk in case I have to spend the night somewhere unexpectedly — I drive in some very remote areas.

It is a tich tighter than the Model S and a bit shorter, so I sleep diagonally. It's not for two people, and don't know anyone the wife would want me sleeping with back there anyway, and her 61-year-old bones are NOT up to this galavanting anymore.

I know there are air mattresses with rear footwell fillers and Dreamcases that make the Model S more comfortable. I was just surprised HOW NICE and how easy it was the first time I tried to sleep in my 3. Wish it wasn't so nice, I have an RV that I haven't touched since I go the Tesla this month last year. It's not got self-driving capabilities and diesel hasn't come down in price.

Gotta check out a Model X to see what sleeping in the back of those is like, seems like it would be the easiest, assuming you have the 5 or 7 seater.

-Randy

Yeah the X is taller than the S in back but we have captains chairs in our X, they look much nicer than the basic 5 seat X config but don't afford as much room for cargo. I guess the X was intended more as a head turner than a utility vehicle but we still love it.
This is why we went with the 7 seat option, we didn't want less utility than the Model S it was replacing, this also makes it the largest interior with all the seats folded

Is it not the same amount of space as the 5 seat MX config when folded?

-Randy
Yes assuming the seat blanking cover is installed. However you can move the middle row on the 7 seat, on the 5 it is fixed like Model S, but according Sunshine State uglier, the 5 seat has the most room by a slim margin if that cover isn't installed, it has a pull tab and a lid like the rear floor of the hatch and the footwell on Model S and Model 3

Is it not the same amount of space as the 5 seat MX config when folded?

-Randy
We have the 7 seat with the nicer power second row seats like the 6 seat configuration. The new 7 seat configuration uses the bench second row like the base 5 seat configuration. The downside of having the power second row seats is that they power tilt foward and slide back and forth, they don’t lay flat like the base bench seat. It limits the flat cargo area.

Yes assuming the seat blanking cover is installed. However you can move the middle row on the 7 seat, on the 5 it is fixed like Model S, but according Sunshine State uglier, the 5 seat has the most room by a slim margin if that cover isn't installed, it has a pull tab and a lid like the rear floor of the hatch and the footwell on Model S and Model 3
I didn’t say anything about ugly, it just doesn’t look as nice because it’s a bench. I just think Tesla spent a lot of time on the power second row pedestal seats with chrome bases and power controls from the front display. They are very advanced seats for the rear of a car.

Reactions: Kacey Green
I didn’t say anything about ugly, it just doesn’t look as nice because it’s a bench. I just think Tesla spent a lot of time on the power second row pedestal seats with chrome bases and power controls from the front display. They are very advanced seats for the rear of a car.
Yes the bench was not what they wanted, it took so long to come out. They spent so much time sculpting those power seats, I love the way they look, I just needed the utility. I was hoping they'd add folding to that not do a bench

Yes the bench was not what they wanted, it took so long to come out. They spent so much time sculpting those power seats, I love the way they look, I just needed the utility. I was hoping they'd add folding to that not do a bench
I definitely would like the added utility of folding flat second row for the $$ savings. I would have gone with the bench 7 seater but at the time the only option we had for the max seating was the power pedestal seats. I can’t remen what they charged at the time but it was very expensive. I think I just intentionally blocked it from my memory. I seriously considered the 5 seat at the time also and the savings would have been nice.

Reactions: Kacey Green