Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Connectivity would be for streaming internet radio and the web browser. Maps and navigation don't need data except the update the maps and, since they included in the base, I assume map updates would be free. It would make sense anyway so you can still use them to find and get to a SC.

Well it would have to be a really cheap data plan for me to pay for that. I don't care about using the web browser on my car and I already stream Spotify from my phone for free. The minor added convenience of having a button for it isn't worth much to me.

Reactions: Thomas Edison
Connectivity would be for streaming internet radio and the web browser. Maps and navigation don't need data except the update the maps and, since they included in the base, I assume map updates would be free. It would make sense anyway so you can still use them to find and get to a SC.

The big map on the Model S needs data. Drive into a cell phone hole, and it goes blank. There are built in maps for navigation, but they can't be displayed on the main screen.

Now, maybe the 3 will be different and the maps on the screen will be the built in ones. That would be an upgrade, in my opinion.

Reactions: Sudre
I haven't seen any mention of XM radio in the Premium package.....I gather it's not in Tesla's plans.

Too bad but then again the GUI interface on S & X has never been properly modified for efficient use.

XM is a must have for me. I hope that it will come when the sunroof option shows up. Maybe it will be like the S where they put the antenna in the sunroof so you have to have that config to get it.

This heated steering wheel is a big deal apparently. I've never had one. Does it do your laundry or something?

You obviously do not live in an area that gets below freezing ever.
A heated steering wheel will help in preventing your hands from freezing, which in turn helps prevent frostbite and your fingers falling off, so looking at it in that sense, yes, it does help with doing laundry.

A heated steering wheel will help in preventing your hands from freezing, which in turn helps prevent frostbite and your fingers falling off, so looking at it in that sense, yes, it does help with doing laundry.

I've had people from Montreal fly in during the winter her and tell me it's cold. It does well below freezing, though not for too long.

But when it's that cold I am wearing gloves. So in order to appreciate the heated steering wheel I'd have to remove those after getting into my car. Instead, and this may be crazy of me, I just leave my gloves on.

As I'm sure you know, preconditioning eliminates "freezing" hands....

Reactions: Sudre
Pre-conditioning also uses waaaay more energy than warming up the steering wheel. I can't believe people are trying to debate the usefulness of a heated steering wheel.

It's not the usefulness per se. Again, I've never had one. I've owned 6 cars, and my wife has had another 3 since we've been married. None of them have had heated steering wheels and I can't one remember thinking to myself I wish it did.

Now maybe (like auto headlights, which I made fun of before I had it) it is a feature you never really think about until you've got it, then you can't live without it. Backup cameras also come to mind (which my wife has but I do not). I just can't believe it's a big enough deal that it's going to cause an uproar.

Do we even know for sure at this point that the premium package doesn't have them? What I've seen has been very ambiguously worded.

Reactions: GSP and Krugerrand
Pre-conditioning also uses waaaay more energy than warming up the steering wheel. I can't believe people are trying to debate the usefulness of a heated steering wheel.
Even in a moderate climate the heated wheel helps. I like it on long drives to relax my hands. I always precondition. Fabulous in winter. Nice all the time. To try it is to like it!

It's not the usefulness per se. Again, I've never had one. I've owned 6 cars, and my wife has had another 3 since we've been married. None of them have had heated steering wheels and I can't one remember thinking to myself I wish it did.

Now maybe (like auto headlights, which I made fun of before I had it) it is a feature you never really think about until you've got it, then you can't live without it. Backup cameras also come to mind (which my wife has but I do not). I just can't believe it's a big enough deal that it's going to cause an uproar.

Do we even know for sure at this point that the premium package doesn't have them? What I've seen has been very ambiguously worded.

I think it is one of those features you never really consider useful until you experience it firsthand.

I tell you what, one of the best feelings after scrapping a crapton of ice and snow off your car in 15 degree temperatures is being greeted with a nice, toasty steering wheel. And even if you pre-heat the car, odds are the steering wheel will be nowhere as warm as a car that has a heated steering wheel.

The Model 3 FAQ says "Additional options will become available over time." I suspect heated steering wheel will be one of those options, probably by the time Canadian orders start. (Or possibly they just left it off the specs by mistake, but that seems unlikely to have gone uncorrected this long.)

Granted it doesn't get terribly cold in Seattle, but I can't think of a time I've ever felt the steering wheel was uncomfortably cold. It's funny that someone mentioned automatic headlights as an example of a feature you didn't know you need until you got it. Our car w/ automatic headlights is about four years old now and I still can't get in the habit of using the feature. I manually turn them on and off every time.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Even in a moderate climate the heated wheel helps. I like it on long drives to relax my hands. I always precondition. Fabulous in winter. Nice all the time. To try it is to like it!
I have it in my LEAF and cannot be bothered since I wear gloves. Our local weather is usually 0-30F in the winter mornings although sub-zero is also a thing. Our records go as low as -30F