Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There you go. All you Tesla YouTube'rs looking for ideas, we want a video showing how fast you can drive using the backup camera! Oh, and does it do the 1/4 mile at the same speed? That might be an amazing selling point if they could have the computer keep you from going out of control by oversteering while in reverse. I mean if the computer can keep the Semi from jackknifing, why not?

-Randy

Are automatic rain sensing wipers standard in the Model 3? I had a Tesla rep at a Tesla showroom tell me that you have to get the autopilot option to enable the automatic wipers, but they told me a number of other things which I know are wrong so I'm inclined to not believe them. I'd like to know for sure however.

What did they say that was inaccurate?

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
What did they say that was inaccurate?
I should clarify that it was just one woman; perhaps if she had consulted with some of the other reps in the showroom, we would have gotten better information. I only asked the woman a few questions primarily related to the windshield wipers operation since that was something I didn't know about. In addition to saying that rain sensing wipers required purchase of the enhanced autopilot, she said that the only way to activate the wipers was via the control screen. She didn't know about tapping the button on the end of the left control stalk for a single wipe or holding it down for a second for washers and multiple wipes.

Yeah, having worked in Apple Retail for 14 years I know it’s hard for employees to know all the things.

The real smart guy at the Fremont distribution center told me that when a lane splits in two the car will hug the side you select with the turn signal. That also doesn’t seem to be true. Tech is always a work in progress.

My greatest success in giving the right info was learning to think like Apple and know the sorts of thing we would release. Got pretty good at predicting things that I had not seen myself.

-Randy

Yeah, having worked in Apple Retail for 14 years I know it’s hard for employees to know all the things.

The real smart guy at the Fremont distribution center told me that when a lane splits in two the car will hug the side you select with the turn signal. That also doesn’t seem to be true. Tech is always a work in progress.

My greatest success in giving the right info was learning to think like Apple and know the sorts of thing we would release. Got pretty good at predicting things that I had not seen myself.

-Randy
I prefer when someone says that they don't know but they'll find out.

Which is all attained in software and extra validation of the Model 3 hardware. Still cannot get my mind around the extra cost. But then I cannot imagine buying wheels that will require VERY expensive custom replacement tires.

-Randy

That just depends on what your definition of "will" is. But really, my X5 had 20" wheels (steamrollers in the back, 325 width) and they weren't THAT bad. Maybe $250/tire iirc

Which is all attained in software and extra validation of the Model 3 hardware. Still cannot get my mind around the extra cost. But then I cannot imagine buying wheels that will require VERY expensive custom replacement tires.

-Randy
Some of the extra cost is margin, some of it is likely for higher part failure rates than non-P cars.

Reactions: hoang51
can anyone explain the equivalent horsepower and torque ratings that the model 3 performance will have compared to AWD non P
thanks in advance

No.

Until someone gets their hands on em and tests them (or hacks into them) we can't really know that.

We can make random guesses based on the limited info we do have, but they'd only be guesses since we also don't know the gearing or a number of other details.

For example there's kw output of the motors in the recent EPA data- but it's obvious from how close the AWD and P are that they don't reflect peak output #s (the EPA data shows ~450 hp for AWD and ~480 for the P)

No.

Until someone gets their hands on em and tests them (or hacks into them) we can't really know that.

We can make random guesses based on the limited info we do have, but they'd only be guesses since we also don't know the gearing or a number of other details.

For example there's kw output of the motors in the recent EPA data- but it's obvious from how close the AWD and P are that they don't reflect peak output #s (the EPA data shows ~450 hp for AWD and ~480 for the P)

understood. thanks!
so i guess it won’t be long until we see some youtube videos on this once people take delivery and put them on dyno

No.

Agree the EPA reported kW numbers are likely not representative of performance.
Couple thoughts:
Gearing only matters if you care about motor torque/ HP vs wheel.

The similar peak numbers could be due to pack limits and the difference in the binned drive unit efficiency (more power to the road). P drive units could have much higher current limits allowing higher power at lower speeds.