Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still get hung up on the VIN indicator for "engine/motor type". If there are differences then why are they allowed to lump the AWD with the P and P+ in the VIN?

The drive units are the same parts assembled the same way, only base difference being component variation. Compare to ICE vehicles with cast intake and exhaust manifolds. Depending on the casting tolerance, one engine will produce more power than another. Then add on part to part dimensional stack up and one set of pistons or bearing could be lower friction than another.
Some engines are built by measuring each part for best fit/ least deviation (blueprint).

Based on thermal modeling ,the better drive unit can handle more power at the same system temperature point, extending the time until power limiting kicks in or allowing higher acceleration.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Hi guys.....I've ordered the AWD configuration without the auto-pilot. Assuming I don't have auto-pilot, will the car come with blind spot notifications from the side view mirrors?....for instance, it's called BLIS on Volvo's? All the cameras are there, I would think it would work but can't find that spec'd out anywhere.

Hi guys.....I've ordered the AWD configuration without the auto-pilot. Assuming I don't have auto-pilot, will the car come with blind spot notifications from the side view mirrors?....for instance, it's called BLIS on Volvo's? All the cameras are there, I would think it would work but can't find that spec'd out anywhere.
If you are refering to alert lights integrated into the side mirrors, that is not a feature on Teslas.

I’m not really talking collision avoidance, rather just notification of a car in the blind spot.

The Tesla mirrors, no matter your model or options, do not physically have a light in the side mirrors.

On the display where you car/surrounding cars are shown however the lane line turns red if you signal a change in that direction and another car is in the way.

The Tesla mirrors, no matter your model or options, do not physically have a light in the side mirrors.

On the display where you car/surrounding cars are shown however the lane line turns red if you signal a change in that direction and another car is in the way.

thanks....does this red indicator occur if I don't have the auto-pilot? In fact, do other warnings occur without auto-pilot.....such as, pulling into my garage and inching towards the wall, will it indicate when I'm getting too close? Or, if I'm pulling in a tight parking spot and I'm getting too close to the car next to me, will it indicate how close I am?

My point is.....I don't want to use auto pilot, but at the same time I like the warnings that come standard on modern luxury cars.....

thanks ahead, appreciate all the feedback. This stuff can't be found in the specs on Tesla web site, and the only people I know with Model 3's all have auto pilot.

thanks....does this red indicator occur if I don't have the auto-pilot? In fact, do other warnings occur without auto-pilot.....such as, pulling into my garage and inching towards the wall, will it indicate when I'm getting too close? Or, if I'm pulling in a tight parking spot and I'm getting too close to the car next to me, will it indicate how close I am?

My point is.....I don't want to use auto pilot, but at the same time I like the warnings that come standard on modern luxury cars.....

thanks ahead, appreciate all the feedback. This stuff can't be found in the specs on Tesla web site, and the only people I know with Model 3's all have auto pilot.

Parking sensors are standard and not part of Autopilot. Blind spot detection I'm not sure of. I think that is also standard and not part of Autopilot. Autopilot is focused on "convenience" features, whereas "safety" features come standard on all cars. These terms are used by Tesla, that's why I put them between quotation marks.

Last edited:

I too passed on Enhanced Auto-Pilot. I definitely get proximity alerts, both color indications on the display and plenty of audio alerts... the car goes berserk when I park in my garage. I believe you only get distance-to-obstruction on the front, IIRC. It works well in preventing you from tapping walls and scraping curbs.
The blind-spot monitoring is still a work in progress. As of 2018.39.7 software, my feeling is that it's coming along, but not 100% there. Among issues I've noted is a blind spot (how ironic) immediately behind the vehicle, and in general, delayed awareness of any vehicle approaching from behind. But I think it'll get there.
I haven't tested this much, but it also seems to have oncoming-traffic detection and alerting. I was driving down a narrow residential street with parked cars lining both sides, and only about 1.5 lanes of space in the middle, so cars are unable to pass. At some point after pulling over to let a car go by, it (erroneously) alarmed when I pulled back into the lane and started moving. I'll need to look again at the release notes, but I think this is separate from lane-departure warning.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I too passed on Enhanced Auto-Pilot. I definitely get proximity alerts, both color indications on the display and plenty of audio alerts... the car goes berserk when I park in my garage. I believe you only get distance-to-obstruction on the front, IIRC. It works well in preventing you from tapping walls and scraping curbs.
The blind-spot monitoring is still a work in progress. As of 2018.39.7 software, my feeling is that it's coming along, but not 100% there. Among issues I've noted is a blind spot (how ironic) immediately behind the vehicle, and in general, delayed awareness of any vehicle approaching from behind. But I think it'll get there.
I haven't tested this much, but it also seems to have oncoming-traffic detection and alerting. I was driving down a narrow residential street with parked cars lining both sides, and only about 1.5 lanes of space in the middle, so cars are unable to pass. At some point after pulling over to let a car go by, it (erroneously) alarmed when I pulled back into the lane and started moving. I'll need to look again at the release notes, but I think this is separate from lane-departure warning.
The distance works on the rear and part of the sides (the doors don't have ultrasonic sensors so the ones on the front side and back side kinda guess)

The rear view apparently is flakey (Here’s what Tesla Autopilot can see with the new v9 neural net) which is why it drops out at times.

I assume the ultrasonic sensors on the 3 are similar to the S. There are sensors on the side front and back corners. You can see them on the bumper. They do go nuts pulling in and out of the garage.

I had a sensor go nuts the other day in a parking lot when a pickup moving down an aisle the other way got too close.

I apologize if this as already been provided - I admit to not reading all 34 pages of this thread :) - but can someone please provide the width of the 60/40 split in the back seat of the Model 3? That is, of the ~52 inches of hip room, how many inches are the “60” and how many are the “40”? (I’m assuming, perhaps wrongly, that 60/40 is a general and not exact description.)

I’m hoping to receive my vehicle by year-end, and would like to plan ahead. Much thanks to anyone who can provide this information!

Right rear seat bottom / back = ~18"
Left rear seat bottom / back = ~24"
So the center section is about 6" wide.

Those measurements were at the bottom of the parts that tilt. Didn't include any side bolster.
Also, the top part of the seat is wider as you go higher up.

Awesome, thank you! In hindsight, perhaps I should have clarified - I’m wondering how much width is available if the “60” (left) or “40” (right) sections are pushed down. From those measurements, it looks like pushing down the “40” section will open 21”-23” of room.

With the right seat back down, the trunk pass-through is ~17" wide.
Then the left seating space is about 30 inches from left door handle to the edge of right seat back.

With the left seat back down, the trunk pass-through is ~24" wide.
Then the right seating space is about 22 inches from right door handle to the edge of the left seat back.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jivas and V__2