Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Speed Limit Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha,

This is for Big Island owners primarily but I'm curious about other Hawaii owner experiences. One of our owners has been experiencing an issue related to EAP - his Model 3 has not displayed the speed limit since he's owned the car. Other Model 3 owners have shared concerns about the speed limit not matching the actual limit and I attribute this to the known AP2 behavior (reliance on GPS data vs camera obtained GPS data). However, I've not encountered one where the speed limit just does not display. He's been working with the SC but they have not yet been able to resolve.

Q: If you're a Model 3 owner, have you experienced this and have you been able to resolve?

Thanks,
Noel

I came here to ask this. It hasn't displayed for me at all on Kauai and it's impossible to use autopilot on the main stretch of kuhio hwy that's 50mph when it limits autopilot to 45mph.

I never had this issue in FL with the same vehicle.

I wouldn't call this an AP2 issue, it's a crappy map data issue and Tesla doesn't seem ready to acknowledge or do anything about it. Supposedly the issue started near the beginning of the year when they switched map providers. My May car has always been screwed up. My Garmin GPS will correctly show speeds, while Tesla is right, probably less than 75% of the time.

I see two issues commonly, wrong speeds and no speeds. Some well known roads that have well marked and documented in GIS systems have no speeds listed and as a 50 mph road, AP will only go 45. I've seen other roads where a few miles aren't listed, but both ends are.

It's indeed crap right now

I think I heard on an episode of the RTL podcast that Tesla limits EAP to 45 mph on non-divided, two lane highways, regardless of the road's speed limit. I've experienced this driving on Kal Hwy by makapuu and through Waimanalo. Perhaps @ryanjm can provide insight/reference.

I think I heard on an episode of the RTL podcast that Tesla limits EAP to 45 mph on non-divided, two lane highways, regardless of the road's speed limit. I've experienced this driving on Kal Hwy by makapuu and through Waimanalo. Perhaps @ryanjm can provide insight/reference.

If I remember correctly, it's 5mph over the posted speed limit, so it's relative -- not an absolute 45mph limit.

• Informative
Reactions: gmtom1
Here is what the online support says:
"Thank you for contacting us and I do apologize for the delay in responding back to you.

With the Autopilot it does go off of Road signs and GPS for the speed. As long as its not a new built road it should pick up on the speed limit for you. If it is still not working right I would recommend create an appointment with your local Service Center to have them inspect it to make sure everything is working right.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thanks,"

It has definitely never gone off road signs for me. I've never seen the speed limit display while my car has been in Hawaii. I guess I'm out of luck because I can't schedule service in Kauai.

Here is what the online support says:
"Thank you for contacting us and I do apologize for the delay in responding back to you.

With the Autopilot it does go off of Road signs and GPS for the speed. As long as its not a new built road it should pick up on the speed limit for you. If it is still not working right I would recommend create an appointment with your local Service Center to have them inspect it to make sure everything is working right.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thanks,"

It has definitely never gone off road signs for me. I've never seen the speed limit display while my car has been in Hawaii. I guess I'm out of luck because I can't schedule service in Kauai.
Well.. you could schedule Ranger service in Kauai. that's how they service the Hawaii customers not on Oahu.

I just got off the phone with the service center and they say there are no plans to add kauai to the map to display the speed limit.

So basically if you are planning on purchasing a Tesla and you live on Kauai, DO NOT purchase autopilot because it's USELESS.

I'm so mad that I wasted $5,000.

So basically if you are planning on purchasing a Tesla and you live on Kauai, DO NOT purchase autopilot because it's USELESS.

I'm so mad that I wasted $5,000.

Well with EAP you do get other things that work without the speed limit data, for example: TACC, Summon, AutoPark...

But in any case I think you should send a message via your MyTesla account and check the "for executive escalation" box, as they really should provide map/speed limit data for all areas that they sell EAP/FSD. And really how hard can it be to put the speed limits for an island? (I assume it has maps and the navigation feature works for you.)