Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 spotted in the wild!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jfjmq3g.jpg

I just saw the matte grey prototype in San Francisco at 9th and Brannan going west. (I couldn't get a picture, so I guess it didn't happen.) Still, I wonder why they are driving these cars on public roads when they are so far away from production...
I think Tesla had to have the reveal now so they can get outside and do more realistic testing (imagine driving in a circle inside a building to test battery discharge functions ...). I imagine it was hard to keep the secret as long as they did, and everyone can breathe easier now that it is officially public.

I think Tesla had to have the reveal now so they can get outside and do more realistic testing (imagine driving in a circle inside a building to test battery discharge functions ...). I imagine it was hard to keep the secret as long as they did, and everyone can breathe easier now that it is officially public.
IIRC, the Model S and X prototypes made selective guest appearances at staged events. And when the Model X mules were spotted at various places in the Bay Area last year, they were heavily camouflaged. I suspect we'll be seeing more of the Model 3 out in the wild without disguises. With 400,000+ reservations, probably 1 year until "Reveal 2" and at least 1.5 years before the first production cars roll off the line, Tesla may need to keep interest alive for the Model 3, especially with reservation holders. One way to do that is to periodically tantalize the public with random appearances out on the streets. This is addition to what @int32_t said above about the need to real-world test this car to work out any mechanical and software kinks and manufacturing QC issues. I don't think Tesla will have as much leeway with the rollout of the Model 3 as they did with the S and X; this time, they'll need to hit the ground running.

Reactions: Red Sage