Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 spotted with steering wheel covered

Oct 21, 2015
United States
It would be incredibly awkward to try to focus on a small display on the steering wheel that is that much below your normal line of sight and so close to your body. It would probably take the average driver a second or two to be able to refocus their eyes on it after looking out of the windshield.
Elon said there is only one display in the vehicle

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
My guess is that the indicator/cruise/AP control stalk has been removed and these controls are now present on the wheel, either side of a central airbag.

Maybe they will be a pair of curved touch panels - just backlit flatpanel buttons - no display screen.

Maybe they beep; maybe they're haptic

Borrowing an idea from ceramic hobs, it's an obvious application for Tesla glass
l_21930629_001.jpg

(Mmmmm...spaceshippy)

Can't imagine why else it would need to be covered up with a jacket.

Unless the new Tesla logo is Elon with a halo?

I believe the Russians are working on something similar...

Screen-Shot-2015-09-08-at-6.21.06-PM-626x416.png

(actually the Maserati Boomerang from 1971-72)

Last edited:

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I wonder what the logic will be for "when you need them"? Hide the speedo if the car sees you are within a few MPH/KMH of the posted speed limit for the road?
Only show it when you are speeding up and slowing down?

FlatSix911

Porsche 918 Hybrid
Jun 15, 2015
Silicon Valley
Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

Another day, another batch of Model 3 photos, and more new insights about the car’s design. This time the photos come from multiple posts on reddit by You You Xue,
u/youyouxue, who spotted the Model 3 at the San Mateo supercharger and got several high quality photos which we’ll have a look at below.

Xue said he spoke to the employee who was driving the car, and that the employee stated that the car is pretty much the final design before the first delivery (*not a direct quote from the employee, but Xue’s summary of the conversation). One thing to note is that the cockpit and steering wheel looks the same as it did in the other recent batch of photos we saw of them, so if this is pretty much the final design, then it’s likely that we’ll end up with a rather conventional steering wheel design on the finalized vehicle. It’s still possible that it might change, but looking less likely as we get closer and closer to release. Today’s photo of the steering wheel and interior does look the same as those other recent photos, so if Tesla is still keeping any secrets, they must be keeping them rather close to their chest.

xk0ury7b545z.jpg

tsla007

May 6, 2016
CT
I'm expecting - myself only- that there will be voice and hand motion controls and not knobs or buttons.
What's covered are motions sensors and voice sensors-hence those 2 wires.

Hey, hello in there! What's so important? What do you have that is worth living for?
MMMMMooooooddeellllll thrrrrreeeeeeeeeee
-Billy Crystal-Miracle Max
You keep using that word-I don't think it means what you think it means.
Indigo Montoya-
The Princess Bride-best family movie ever produced.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC