Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Squeaky Breaks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my LR RWD in late November. LOVE IT! But every single time I back out of my driveway, the breaks squeak and squeal. Thereafter, they are fine. Is this just a matter of warming up the pads a little? Removing a layer of condensation on the rotors? Maybe something unique about braking while reversing that doesn't happen when driving forward? I have a narrow driveway and garage entrance, so I need to slowly make my way out and sometimes need to correct course a few times to avoid hitting my anything... so it's a lot of squeaking whenever I leave the house.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Leafdriver333
Put it in “low” regen braking mode then do some hard braking to clear up the rotors. If that doesn’t work, there is a known issue with some shimms related to the brakes. The SC just fixed my passenger rear wheel brakes although they made noise at low speed even when I wasn’t applying the brakes.

Took delivery of my LR RWD in late November. LOVE IT! But every single time I back out of my driveway, the breaks squeak and squeal. Thereafter, they are fine. Is this just a matter of warming up the pads a little? Removing a layer of condensation on the rotors? Maybe something unique about braking while reversing that doesn't happen when driving forward? I have a narrow driveway and garage entrance, so I need to slowly make my way out and sometimes need to correct course a few times to avoid hitting my anything... so it's a lot of squeaking whenever I leave the house.

Thoughts?

Exact same issue here... doesn't happen every time, or even all that often, but when it does it's LOUD and a bit embarrassing, especially if any of my neighbors happen to be outside. My brands new (3 months old) car has squeaky brakes?!

Only seems to happen when the car was put away wet and sat overnight in the cold garage.

I will also say that my 2010 BMW 5-series did the exact same thing under similar circumstances. I wonder if it's a combination of condensation and salt on the pads / rotors?

I haven't bothered having Tesla look at it, honestly.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
So for those of you have experienced this issue, is there are a more permanent fix other than "burnishment" ? I've had the issue occur about 3-5 times already and while I'm able to get rid of the noise by setting it REGEN to Low for a while, it always comes back. I also asked my service center to take a look at it and all they did was conduct a burnishment as well and said "all fixed!" It clearly hasn't.

Didn't want to start a new thread as there seems to be a lot of these threads....

I had the same issue, LR RWD from May 2018. I had it checked out at the service center while other work was being done and they said it was a broken brake clip causing the squeal. Afterwards it was better but still present. Had it rechecked and apparently a second clip was bad. No squeaks or squeaks backing out ever since the second fix. I would definitely suggest a service visit when you have time. Back in the day there was a thread on this issue with others saying a bad brake clip was also to blame.

Reactions: johnm
this isn't the only car that does that occasionally when I back out of my garage.

the pads kind of just float in the caliper brackets and it seems natural for them to kind of vibrate with light touch with friction on the disks as the car changes direction and moves slowly (forward when parking in the garage and reverse when backing out).

Same issue with mine. It's the brembo brake. I had the same issue when I had a Subaru Impreza STi. I think the brake pads will move back when your backing up and cause it to make noise. Going forward is fine.

One of the managers at worked seemed really annoyed by it and the flak he got from his wife on the issue. I had my solutions but was hoping for a more permanent one.

The brakes moving back while backing up sounds like the most likely culprit since its especially bad on my driveway due to an incline.

Same issue with mine. It's the brembo brake. I had the same issue when I had a Subaru Impreza STi. I think the brake pads will move back when your backing up and cause it to make noise. Going forward is fine.
My Perf 3's Brembos make a loud noise *on every stop* for 12+ hours after it rains. The sound is odd, it's definitely not a squeal but something closer to a groan, if that makes sense. :confused: