Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ and MR: No physical differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm comparing the equipment levels and specifications of Model 3 SR+ and MR. Both cars are the same weight, and the differences are items that could easily be software locked:
  • No rear heated seats (deactivate)
  • No satellite maps, streaming radio, internet access, and Homelink (deactivate)
  • Less range by 24 miles (charge limit)
  • No premium audio (deactivate a few speakers)
The SR model is the only one that actually gets physical differences that cannot be changed with software: seats, materials, center console, and fog lamps. I wonder if there are indeed any physical differences, and whether Tesla can convert existing inventory MR cars to SR+ to match demand.

Also, anyone know how the manual seats in Model 3 SR adjust? Is it still 12-way or 8-way? Or 6-way (no seat bottom tilt)? Knob or lever?

Pretty sure the actual battery pack is different not just software... (the SR+ has the same pack as the SR... the MR is an LR pack with cells removed).

And I don't think it's "deactivate" a few speakers- they simply aren't ever installed.

I would SUSPECT the actual motor is different too... (the MR has the same one as the LR so far, but we know there's a cheaper rear motor in the parts catalog we haven't seen in actual deployment yet, so it's likely going to the SR/SR+ cars)

All of which would add up to no, they can't be freely converted.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsrawa and adaptabl
Be careful with making assumptions about what may or may not be unlockable. When you buy a Tesla... "you get what you get, so don't get upset." as they say at my sons school.

If you are thinking of gambling in hopes of having additional features you can soft unlock don't. You will lose the gamble. Don't try to outsmart Tesla. Just buy the version you actually want that you can afford or wait six months until they drop the price again.

If you are thinking of gambling in hopes of having additional features you can soft unlock don't. You will lose the gamble. Don't try to outsmart Tesla. Just buy the version you actually want that you can afford or wait six months until they drop the price again.

... or wait six hours until they drop the price again.

I'm comparing the equipment levels and specifications of Model 3 SR+ and MR. Both cars are the same weight, and the differences are items that could easily be software locked:
  • No rear heated seats (deactivate)
  • No satellite maps, streaming radio, internet access, and Homelink (deactivate)
  • Less range by 24 miles (charge limit)
  • No premium audio (deactivate a few speakers)
The SR model is the only one that actually gets physical differences that cannot be changed with software: seats, materials, center console, and fog lamps. I wonder if there are indeed any physical differences, and whether Tesla can convert existing inventory MR cars to SR+ to match demand.

Also, anyone know how the manual seats in Model 3 SR adjust? Is it still 12-way or 8-way? Or 6-way (no seat bottom tilt)? Knob or lever?

The photos of the SR+ interior show that it does not have the speakers so you are taking a gamble on assuming it is simply software that is the difference between the two cars.

Pretty sure the actual battery pack is different not just software... (the SR+ has the same pack as the SR... the MR is an LR pack with cells removed).
I understand all the current modules are the same fundamental design, so the SR/SR+ and MR modules just have different quantity of dummy cells whereas the LR modules are full. I think the SR/SR+ modules that are cheaper and/or faster to manufacture will only be available when the new Grohmanm line is up. That’s just me reading between the lines though. @GigaGrunt

I understand all the current modules are the same fundamental design, so the SR/SR+ and MR modules just have different quantity of dummy cells whereas the LR modules are full. I think the SR/SR+ modules that are cheaper and/or faster to manufacture will only be available when the new Grohmanm line is up. That’s just me reading between the lines though. @GigaGrunt

I don't think that's true based on the listed weights of the vehicles

I don't think that's true based on the listed weights of the vehicles
Do you think they're listing the current SR pack weight or the SR weight with the new modules? Do you think the new modules will weight more or less than the current set? Designing for cheap/fast assembly may compromise weight.

Either way, that spec table has been so erroneous and Tesla is so loose with their published specs that I don't give it much consideration.

I am on the fence between a SR+ and MR or a 2nd M3 for my wife. Range is unimportant because we have my LR AWD. She also doesn't care about the best audio quality, just not her thing. Rear heated seat doesn't matter with kids in car seats. Only thing she'd like is the connectivity so she can easily play music from the screen. Wonder if they will ever offer that for the SR/SR+ cars...

If you read the FAQ page on their website, it hints that premium connectivity may be offered down the road for the SR/SR+ models.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

See the following sentence in the document:

Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year.

So it’s anyone’s guess if they follow through with it and offer some sort of option for premium connectivity, but the FAQ also states that it’s only included with the Premium Interior for the first year anyway, and then it’s expected to be around $100/year.

I would not purchase an MR personally. EIther go with the SR+ because it’s an amazing value at $37K (at least until they presumably raise the price next week), or go with the LR because for an extra $6K you get the full premium interior plus the 325 mile range. I debated between the two and ended up going with the LR, but I still think $37K for the SR+ is an amazing deal, especially with the remaining incentives still available.

Current modules for SR/SR+, MR, LR are same, cells removed. Future module design for SR/SR+ can run on any lines. Smaller, less dense bricks.

From a production standpoint, adding materials and then software locking them with hopes of customer purchasing later on doesn't remove upfront costs. With higher end vehicles (S/X) this can be washed with margin, but at lower end of price (SR 3), this makes no sense.

TGA line is coming along.

Current modules for SR/SR+, MR, LR are same, cells removed. Future module design for SR/SR+ can run on any lines. Smaller, less dense bricks.

From a production standpoint, adding materials and then software locking them with hopes of customer purchasing later on doesn't remove upfront costs. With higher end vehicles (S/X) this can be washed with margin, but at lower end of price (SR 3), this makes no sense.

True, but with their production lines constrained it would make sense from an efficiency standpoint to just software lock features rather than stop the production line to put in different components....this is the whole reason they kept the glass roof on the 35k SR version (in my opinion). It could extend to the few other component differences in the SR+ vs everything else.

Adding 8% margin to battery pack (difference between SR and SR+) does help the SR Supercharging rate and allows those customers to more routinely fill to near 100%, but I agree for the most inexpensive model adding in the unused cells is likely a significant cut to profit. Well, crap, now I'm left to believe the future module design will have customized SR and SR+ modules while today's do not.

True, but with their production lines constrained it would make sense from an efficiency standpoint to just software lock features rather than stop the production line to put in different components....this is the whole reason they kept the glass roof on the 35k SR version (in my opinion). It could extend to the few other component differences in the SR+ vs everything else.

Wrong. The glass was kept as it removed a constraint from the stamping assembly. It’s another stamping die that would have to rotate into an exisitong machine, or a new machine. Also, it’s more body to paint. The cost difference was negligible. Literally.

Vehicles are batch built. It takes nothing to line up 1000 seats of one make, and 1000 of another make behind it.

Production lines in general are not constrained. It’s one part of a line or a sub assembly that constrains the rest.

Adding 8% margin to battery pack (difference between SR and SR+) does help the SR Supercharging rate and allows those customers to more routinely fill to near 100%, but I agree for the most inexpensive model adding in the unused cells is likely a significant cut to profit. Well, crap, now I'm left to believe the future module design will have customized SR and SR+ modules while today's do not.

Less cells in a pack today are more cells for a pack tomorrow.

Reactions: SmartElectric