Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ Battery drainage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are others experiencing the same rapid battery drainage?
Example, today did 2 miles, parked for 10 minutes, then 2 miles back. Battery reduced by 15 miles!
Sentry mode would have been on for 10 mins.
Should we expect that for short journeys?

Particularly as the weather gets colder. The battery is cold, and doesn’t have the time to warm up on a very short journey.

Also if you use the heating, it takes a lot more power to heat up the cabin from cold than to maintain the temperature on a longer journey.

Reactions: davidmc
Example, today did 2 miles, parked for 10 minutes, then 2 miles back. Battery reduced by 15 miles!
Short journeys especially with a cold Battery will use much more range than a longer journey where the Battery has time to warm up, my commute is 15 miles and I use 18 miles of range every day. Some people suggest scheduling the Car to charge for 30 Mins before you drive so maybe try that ?

-1 for %

Doesn't answer the question does it? Its just a preference to say look at some other measure to deflect from the problem.

The car lost 5% doing 4 miles and at that rate the car has a range of 80 miles from a full charge,

Its likely to be battery heaters, cabin heating etc which are all maxed out on the first part of the journey until things start to get up to temperature.

Reactions: bay74
-1 for %

Doesn't answer the question does it? Its just a preference to say look at some other measure to deflect from the problem.

The car lost 5% doing 4 miles and at that rate the car has a range of 80 miles from a full charge,

Its likely to be battery heaters, cabin heating etc which are all maxed out on the first part of the journey until things start to get up to temperature.
Bjorn noticing some changes to M3 Range
Anyone else had this ?

Bjorn noticing some changes to M3 Range
Anyone else had this ?
He should switch to %.... or maybe not

Yes I saw or and I've seen mixed comments on whether his teste method is good or bad, the point I would make is he's been a long standing advocate of the brand and if he says good stuff Tesla fans back him instantly, not sure why they dismiss him so quickly when its negative other than double standards.

I imagine there could be something in this. Tesla have form on this too, many MS 85 owners are having their range capped and previously 90 battery owners had their supercharging speed limited. It seems Tesla are more cautious about max voltage they'll charge the batteries too and I've seen some speculation around the BMS focusing more on the worst block of batteries and using that as the limit for the whole pack ie if one cell block suffers degredation the whole pack is taken down to that level, whatever the cause they've been much more cautious with the batteries due to fires.

He should switch to %.... or maybe not

Yes I saw or and I've seen mixed comments on whether his teste method is good or bad, the point I would make is he's been a long standing advocate of the brand and if he says good stuff Tesla fans back him instantly, not sure why they dismiss him so quickly when its negative other than double standards.

I imagine there could be something in this. Tesla have form on this too, many MS 85 owners are having their range capped and previously 90 battery owners had their supercharging speed limited. It seems Tesla are more cautious about max voltage they'll charge the batteries too and I've seen some speculation around the BMS focusing more on the worst block of batteries and using that as the limit for the whole pack ie if one cell block suffers degredation the whole pack is taken down to that level, whatever the cause they've been much more cautious with the batteries due to fires.
Cautious due to battery fires works for me!

Bjorn seems a great guy - some of his videos are hilarious - but as for his testing methods, he often seems rushed and takes a rather slapdash approach...

-1 for %

It's the battery chemistry that does not like the cold. Batteries have less energy when cold, but if you drive further the batteries would warm up and that range would get better. Mine sat outside over night and lost 10% as it's now really cold, only over a month ago that 10% loss was only 5%.

Short trips don't warm the batteries so you would see a larger usage in your capacity.

Try flying racing drones and you will see Lipo batteries do the same when cold, 4min flights become 2min flights if the batteries are cold. Loads of YouTube vids showing people warming batteries up in the pocket or on a radiator to get the best performance. 21700 are no different. Anyone vape with a cold battery?

LIPO Battery Cold Weather Usage Tips

Although trying to keep my car on a radiator or in my pocket may be a bit of a challenge! :)

Reactions: gangzoom and Roy W.
Any sentry usage will significantly hit the range. I can lose 15 miles per night with it just sitting on the drive. It is entirely feasible for even a five minute stop at some shops five or six miles will disappear due to Sentry mode. Particularly with the new update now recording and storing files from the rear camera too.

In my experience this is normal on very short journeys. It averages out - takes a couple of miles to warm up - but short trips of under to miles have very bad economy

Here is when the battery is fairly warm:
shartBWarm.JPG

Here is on a reasonably cold morning, stopping at the post office on the way to work:
shortBCold.JPG

on my average morning commute it evens out. But now I have noticed it uses more %.

In September I started using 12-13%, now I use 15-17%

My first commute in the car (Ignore max speed please) :
firstCommute.JPG

And this is today
lastCommute.JPG

Reactions: davidmc
For those new to EV range drop in cold weather....Winter hasn't even started yet!!

Wait till its zero degrees most of the day, add in some rain/snow, wind chill of sub zero, some traffic and you can see some horrific numbers. This was one commute this January, would equate to just 70 miles of range for our 75D X!!

46800366712_f51bdccc5a_c_d.jpg

But as others have said, over a long trip it evens out, starting temp for this trip was 3 degrees and a 'cold' start. Despite low temps over 200 miles the drop in range compared to summer is actually not that bad - 10% range loss.

38333410566_0e2b407d53_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmc and Roy W.
I’m typically seeing 1% per couple miles on short journeys in my 2020 M3P. Climate set to manual 19 with seat heaters doing the rest. Easy on the pedal. Range says 200 miles (70%) but real world on that is 125 easy.

It helps if you pre-heat the battery before you leave (as long as you are still plugged in), I believe. Longer term solution is move to somewhere warmer ;)

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl