Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ charging speed increased to 170kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news ! https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-standard-range-plus-supercharging-rate-170-kw

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus is getting an increase in Supercharging peak power to 170 kW in the latest over-the-air software update. The boost in Supercharger charging rate for the entry-level Model 3 variant represents a nearly 50-70% increase from its 100 kW to 120 kW charge rate, prior to the version 2019.36.1 update.

It's nice to have that option.
However, when we stop to SC it's in a nice location and I get the idling threat text before my wife and I are done with dinner lol.

Yep, that was one of my thoughts.

Nothing we can possibly complain about with a straight face, that rate would fully charge an SR plus in under 20 minutes if it didn't throttle as the battery filled up. It changes the dynamic, though, and having a leisurely meal what charging isn't likely anymore.

This is fantastic, though. I love how these cars keep getting better and better.

Reactions: strykeroz
Great news - none of the superchargers in NY currently go higher than 120Kw - will this be increasing too? Or to better phrase the question, is this irrelevant if the charger itself only has a capacity of 120? Or do they get updated as well.

Great news - none of the superchargers in NY currently go higher than 120Kw - will this be increasing too? Or to better phrase the question, is this irrelevant if the charger itself only has a capacity of 120? Or do they get updated as well.
Is 120 > 100 ?

Anyway, so far as I know all the "120 kW" superchargers now support up to ~ 140 - 145 kW so the updated SR/SR+ will enjoy that speed until the SoC taper kicks in. IIRC my LR model tapers below 140 kW at ~ 45% SoC so presuming that proportions apply here the SR/SR+ will have 140 kW until ~ 45*0.7 = 30% SoC.

Is 120 > 100 ?

Anyway, so far as I know all the "120 kW" superchargers now support up to ~ 140 - 145 kW so the updated SR/SR+ will enjoy that speed until the SoC taper kicks in. IIRC my LR model tapers below 140 kW at ~ 45% SoC so presuming that proportions apply here the SR/SR+ will have 140 kW until ~ 45*0.7 = 30% SoC.

Not quite apparently. SR+ pack is 350V, while LR pack is 400V. So with max amps at V2 supercharger SR+ still might not hit 145-150kw. I think max amps is 375A so about 130kw for SR+.

• Informative
Reactions: BZM3 and SageBrush

Most Superchargers in the state of New York have been upgraded to 150 kW (144 nominal... 150 is just a nice round number that Tesla likes to use).

Reactions: BZM3
Is 120 > 100 ?

not quite sure what the sarcasm was aimed at as that's not what i was asking?

Not quite apparently. SR+ pack is 350V, while LR pack is 400V. So with max amps at V2 supercharger SR+ still might not hit 145-150kw. I think max amps is 375A so about 130kw for SR+.
Not true, all Model 3 packs are 96s and have peak voltage right at 400V. SR+ will pull 150kW from a V2.

Most Superchargers in the state of New York have been upgraded to 150 kW (144 nominal... 150 is just a nice round number that Tesla likes to use).
The car is actually pulling 150kW from the stall. The DCFC charge power indication is only reporting what is going into the battery for charging. It excludes battery conditioning and HVAC. The charging screen shows 150kW at low SOC only when there's NO battery conditioning or HVAC, a very rare occurrence. For AC charging, it actually indicates what the car is pulling from the wall.

Not true, all Model 3 packs are 96s and have peak voltage right at 400V. SR+ will pull 150kW from a V2.

The car is actually pulling 150kW from the stall. The DCFC charge power indication is only reporting what is going into the battery for charging. It excludes battery conditioning and HVAC. The charging screen shows 150kW at low SOC only when there's NO battery conditioning or HVAC, a very rare occurrence. For AC charging, it actually indicates what the car is pulling from the wall.

Yes, it’s only what is making it into the battery. But even then, I’m only seeing 150 in areas of the country with a very hot grid - Grand Rapids, some parts of New Jersey and other area where there are generating stations in close proximity to the Supercharger... even with HVAC and all other consumers off. I maintain that nominal is 144 kW for V2 and 72 kW urban. Depending on grid voltage, you can get more or less.