Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ (Europe) No Heat Pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It`s not necessary, but it will improve range in winter significantly. The point of a heat pump is not heating the car fast but using less energy. At auto setting the climate-consumption in winter in the TM3 is terrible. If you set it to manual and run fans at for instance 2 x vs windows and turn off AC when not needed it`s much better. Did some tests and compared with the kia Soul with heat pump and at 0C running climate at 19C the Kia Soul uses about 5% more energy with climate on vs off. The TM3 on auto uses around 15% more on long trips, with the manual settings extra consumption is only 5-10%. In city driving I have seen consumption up to 40% higher at auto vs 10-20% with the manual setting in my TM3. That requires a lot more charging in the winter for my part so a heat pump would be most welcome in my opinion :)
Yes, the auto setting will always be inefficient, because it is about comfort and not efficiency.
If you use heated seats and use manual, or set the auto temperature a bit lower, then it's A LOT better than auto.
AFAIK the existing system is very efficient, and clever, as it uses the existing parts to heat up the car.
Set on auto it's kinda like "screw everything, I want to be comfortable NOW!" (which is how I do it :)), if you tune it a bit then it's probably not gonna be a big difference with the heat pump. Just based on the law of energy conservation and how the systems work the biggest difference is the speed at which it is delivering the heat and the heat dissipation.

That said, I heard someone mention that the TM3 heat pump has been measured to be efficient all the way to -20 degrees, and in that case I'm probably going to have to eat my own words.

So apart from the fact UK left the EU- the guy who was asking about his car is from Norway-not the UK- which AFAIK is getting china-built 3s now.
Neither Noway nor the U.K. are in the EU, but both are in Europe.

It’s easier to classify it as SR+ LHD models sold to European markets are made in China. SR+ RHD models for Europe (really only the U.K. and Ireland) are still made in the US.

Yes, the auto setting will always be inefficient, because it is about comfort and not efficiency.
If you use heated seats and use manual, or set the auto temperature a bit lower, then it's A LOT better than auto.
AFAIK the existing system is very efficient, and clever, as it uses the existing parts to heat up the car.
Set on auto it's kinda like "screw everything, I want to be comfortable NOW!" (which is how I do it :)), if you tune it a bit then it's probably not gonna be a big difference with the heat pump. Just based on the law of energy conservation and how the systems work the biggest difference is the speed at which it is delivering the heat and the heat dissipation.

That said, I heard someone mention that the TM3 heat pump has been measured to be efficient all the way to -20 degrees, and in that case I'm probably going to have to eat my own words.
Thing about AUTO in TM3 is that the comfort is often poor. I have experienced windows fogging because climate send air directly to driver at 6xfanspeed which is actually uncomfortable. A comfortable manual setting is 3xfan to driver and windows and even then consumption is generelly lower than with AUTO. In my TMS I used range mode,the fan rarely ran above 3x setting.

I think manual tuning with heat pump will be even better. A thing about the HP i TM3 is that is transfers energy from coolant loop which can be really beneficial when going on long trips and using SC since it heats up battery a lot. Also, preheating the car will be more important with HP as preheating also warms the coolant loop and battery and gives the HP more heat to transfer.

Thing about AUTO in TM3 is that the comfort is often poor. I have experienced windows fogging because climate send air directly to driver at 6xfanspeed which is actually uncomfortable. A comfortable manual setting is 3xfan to driver and windows and even then consumption is generelly lower than with AUTO. In my TMS I used range mode,the fan rarely ran above 3x setting.

I think manual tuning with heat pump will be even better. A thing about the HP i TM3 is that is transfers energy from coolant loop which can be really beneficial when going on long trips and using SC since it heats up battery a lot. Also, preheating the car will be more important with HP as preheating also warms the coolant loop and battery and gives the HP more heat to transfer.
I've had no issues with fogging, and it's the car I've been most happy with the auto setting in. You need to change the air flow direction if you think it's uncomfortable to get it directly at you.
Comfort is subjective, though, so there's no 1-shoe-fits-all

I've had no issues with fogging, and it's the car I've been most happy with the auto setting in. You need to change the air flow direction if you think it's uncomfortable to get it directly at you.
Comfort is subjective, though, so there's no 1-shoe-fits-all
Several times when driving in rain air-direction changes from windows to driver only at auto, and windows fog up. My uncle with TM3 has experienced the same and stopped using auto. Even if you change air-direction towards driver front window still fogs up.

Neither Noway nor the U.K. are in the EU, but both are in Europe.

It’s easier to classify it as SR+ LHD models sold to European markets are made in China. SR+ RHD models for Europe (really only the U.K. and Ireland) are still made in the US.
Do the US made SR+ in UK and Ireland have the 2021 refresh + heat pump and new lights already like the LR/AWD UK models? Do we know which batteries they have and what the capacity is - scan my tesla anyone?