Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ gets another range bump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the SR+ has had another range increase.
Screenshot_20210214-181937.png

As a rough guide, high energy density LiFePO4 (LFP) cells need around 13% to 15% more space than a similar capacity LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) pack. I suspect that the Fremont manufactured SR+ cars probably had a fair bit of spare space in the pack, as the pack capacity was roughly 30% lower than than in the AWD models (guesswork, in part, as Tesla keep quiet about the details). That probably means that there was around a "spare" 15% of space within the Shanghai SR+ battery packs to fit extra LFP cells, which in turn would mean an increase in usable capacity of roughly the same amount.

Personally I would prefer a new SR+ with the LFP pack over the LR, with an NMC pack, based primarily on the much longer life that LFP cells seem to have. They have a cycle life that's probably 2 to 5 times that of NMC, and have a longer calendar life, too. Add in that LFP cells are a bit safer in the event of a catastrophic event, and that makes them a hot favourite, with perhaps the only minus point being slightly poorer charge performance in cold conditions.

As a rough guide, high energy density LiFePO4 (LFP) cells need around 13% to 15% more space than a similar capacity LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) pack. I suspect that the Fremont manufactured SR+ cars probably had a fair bit of spare space in the pack, as the pack capacity was roughly 30% lower than than in the AWD models (guesswork, in part, as Tesla keep quiet about the details). That probably means that there was around a "spare" 15% of space within the Shanghai SR+ battery packs to fit extra LFP cells, which in turn would mean an increase in usable capacity of roughly the same amount.

Personally I would prefer a new SR+ with the LFP pack over the LR, with an NMC pack, based primarily on the much longer life that LFP cells seem to have. They have a cycle life that's probably 2 to 5 times that of NMC, and have a longer calendar life, too. Add in that LFP cells are a bit safer in the event of a catastrophic event, and that makes them a hot favourite, with perhaps the only minus point being slightly poorer charge performance in cold conditions.

@Glan gluaisne does this mean that you can charge the battery more readily to 100% without as fast a battery degradation over the years from doing so as if you were to do the same with the non LFP batteries?

@Glan gluaisne does this mean that you can charge the battery more readily to 100% without as fast a battery degradation over the years from doing so as if you were to do the same with the non LFP batteries?

In general terms, yes, although, as with any other lithium ion cell, cycle life does degrade if regularly charged and discharged over the full capacity range. The difference is that LFP cells don't degrade as quickly under these conditions as NMC cells, although they will still give their best life if run over a more limited range of SoC, say 10% to 90%, or even 20% to 80%, the latter tending to give a cycle life of perhaps 10,000 cycles with LFP (probably never needed, as that represents an absolutely massive mileage).

You guys are lucky. I bought a 2020 long range AWD, see my signature, and after 8 months and 6k miles I now have a Sr +. I may have a lemon.
TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S 3 X Y Data Logger
May be optimism bias on my part, but 6k miles over 8 months is not a lot of driving. The BMS and range indicator is probably accounting for lots of small low efficiency trips rather than what you’d get if you actually tried to drive 250miles between charges.
Between that and the cold weather you’d easily see the forecast range drop off
TeslaFi reckons my SR+ Range has dropped from 225 to 215 over the last week. It’s hasn’t. It’s just guessing based on a limited set of stats. I’ve driven 30 miles max and done one charge

LG don’t make LFP batteries. CATL make the LFP packs. The Tesla advisor is confused.

Yes, it would certainly be a big surprise if they have been keeping a new range of cells under wraps. Since the the LFP cells need more space for the same capacity I'm not sure how it would be possible for them to fit in the LR as that already has its pack space fully utilised with the more energy dense NMC cells.

Last edited: