Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ Ground Clearance on Eurotunnel Ramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there - I've got a few trips upcoming on the Eurotunnel. In the past I've just booked the normal double decker carriage and not thought twice however I've seen a few people mention issues on here so I wanted to check with anyone who has done the trip:

- Some Model S owners mentioned not using the double decker car carriages from a width perspective. I know the 3 is narrower but am I asking for trouble with the 19" wheels and that little metal curb in the carriages?

- Ground clearance wise, has anyone had trouble on the internal ramps on the double decker carriages in a SR+ or LR Model 3?

Thanks in advance.

It’s only a few cms wider than a 3 series. Ground clearance is unlikely to be a problem either. If you are nervous than just buy a ticket to get you on the wider carriages ( I know a lot of people who do this as the standard ones do make people wince a little when driving through them).

Its kerb, btw, not curb. This is not America ;)

Reactions: M1tch
It’s only a few cms wider than a 3 series. Ground clearance is unlikely to be a problem either. If you are nervous than just buy a ticket to get you on the wider carriages ( I know a lot of people who do this as the standard ones do make people wince a little when driving through them).

We’ve already bought our ticket. Wasn’t aware of double deckers or wider carriages (didn’t notice this when we crossed in old ICE car). How do you buy a ‘wider ticket’?

Hi there - I've got a few trips upcoming on the Eurotunnel. In the past I've just booked the normal double decker carriage and not thought twice however I've seen a few people mention issues on here so I wanted to check with anyone who has done the trip:

- Some Model S owners mentioned not using the double decker car carriages from a width perspective. I know the 3 is narrower but am I asking for trouble with the 19" wheels and that little metal curb in the carriages?

- Ground clearance wise, has anyone had trouble on the internal ramps on the double decker carriages in a SR+ or LR Model 3?

Thanks in advance.
Do you have a proximal trip to Chamonix by any chance?

Thanks in advance.
I’ve travelled many times on Le Shuttle, in a wide variety of different cars, ranging from a Ford Granada Mk 3 to a Skoda Octavia. I’ve never had a problem in any of them with the double-decker carriages. I’m sure you’ll be fine. We’ll be taking the Model 3 through the Chunnel in December.

We’ve already bought our ticket. Wasn’t aware of double deckers or wider carriages (didn’t notice this when we crossed in old ICE car). How do you buy a ‘wider ticket’?

You need to book in as an ‘over height ‘ vehicle which will get you in with the 4x4’s, vans and the like. The other option you have is just to insist on being on the bottom deck as the tracks are wider I believe.

Reactions: drewpost
Do you have a proximal trip to Chamonix by any chance?

Nope - that post wasn't me. I'm off to Amsterdam for a conference next week and then a holiday next summer.

I’ve travelled many times on Le Shuttle, in a wide variety of different cars, ranging from a Ford Granada Mk 3 to a Skoda Octavia. I’ve never had a problem in any of them with the double-decker carriages. I’m sure you’ll be fine. We’ll be taking the Model 3 through the Chunnel in December.

Same here. I've taken a Skoda Superb and Octavia, Ford Focus and a VW Tiguan and, aside for the Superb, never really felt constrained for space. To be fair, I've always been on the bottom deck though. I was most concerned about the ground clearance as, vs those other cars, the Model 3 is certainly lower to the ground than all of them. I'm hoping, by the lack of "oh dear god, don't do it" replies that I'll be fine.

FWIW - Eurotunnel automatically classes the cars as being on the Double Decker carriages as per the booking confirmation.

Thanks everyone.

Damn - I've been here for 13 years and sometimes my Americanisms still creep through!

I just bought my tunnel tickets and this is what the website says... so it happens automatically now, we don't need to select the single deck... I feel this may be a new change, as if I remembered correctly, before I received my car, I had a look at tunnel ticket prices around christmas time, and I was given the option if I had wanted the double deck or single deck...

Attachments

• tesla m3 on tunnel.png
    tesla m3 on tunnel.png
    104.9 KB · Views: 347
  • Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.