Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ Ground Clearance on Eurotunnel Ramps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ahhhhh, this makes a lot of sense now!

On my booking it shows me as 'High vehicle, over 6ft'. I was thinking their database might have been wrong for Tesla's as they're newer vehiles, but I didn't think about the ground clearance.

I didn't want to seem like an idiot driving my Model 3 Performance, a very low vehicle, into the 'High vehicles' lane because of an automated booking error. :p

Ahhhhh, this makes a lot of sense now!

On my booking it shows me as 'High vehicle, over 6ft'. I was thinking their database might have been wrong for Tesla's as they're newer vehiles, but I didn't think about the ground clearance.

I didn't want to seem like an idiot driving my Model 3 Performance, a very low vehicle, into the 'High vehicles' lane because of an automated booking error. :p

Don't worry. It's unnecessarily confusing as there is absolutely no consistency to the messaging.

During the website booking journey, it will say

"We have detected that your vehicle has low ground clearance or is exceptionally wide. To make sure you can be loaded easily we have allocated you space on a single deck shuttle."

then your booking email will say

"Your vehicle has been classified as a high vehicle, please ensure you follow signs for SINGLE DECK on site for smooth boarding."

And to make matters even more confusing, the outbound pre-journey email said

"Based on the type and size of your vehicle we have allocated you a space on one of our double deck shuttles. Follow this signage after check-in for boarding."

So basically pick whichever you want haha. I've always gone to the single deck lane and haven't had an issue (and vastly prefer it to the double decks). Have a safe journey!

Don't worry. It's unnecessarily confusing as there is absolutely no consistency to the messaging.

During the website booking journey, it will say

"We have detected that your vehicle has low ground clearance or is exceptionally wide. To make sure you can be loaded easily we have allocated you space on a single deck shuttle."

then your booking email will say

"Your vehicle has been classified as a high vehicle, please ensure you follow signs for SINGLE DECK on site for smooth boarding."

And to make matters even more confusing, the outbound pre-journey email said

"Based on the type and size of your vehicle we have allocated you a space on one of our double deck shuttles. Follow this signage after check-in for boarding."

So basically pick whichever you want haha. I've always gone to the single deck lane and haven't had an issue (and vastly prefer it to the double decks). Have a safe journey!

I'll bring my dice so I roll and see which option I should take on the day, right now I'm leaning towards the 'High vehicles' lane.

They certainly do an 'amazing' job at avoiding confusion... :rolleyes:

I'll bring my dice so I roll and see which option I should take on the day, right now I'm leaning towards the 'High vehicles' lane.

They certainly do an 'amazing' job at avoiding confusion... :rolleyes:

There have been reports that the narrow sections caused by the bogs can damage wheels. I'd go with the single decker despite the fact that the smellier members of the auto fraternity tend to start their diesel engines well before the off.

Nope - that post wasn't me. I'm off to Amsterdam for a conference next week and then a holiday next summer.

Same here. I've taken a Skoda Superb and Octavia, Ford Focus and a VW Tiguan and, aside for the Superb, never really felt constrained for space. To be fair, I've always been on the bottom deck though. I was most concerned about the ground clearance as, vs those other cars, the Model 3 is certainly lower to the ground than all of them. I'm hoping, by the lack of "oh dear god, don't do it" replies that I'll be fine.

FWIW - Eurotunnel automatically classes the cars as being on the Double Decker carriages as per the booking confirmation.

Thanks everyone.

Damn - I've been here for 13 years and sometimes my Americanisms still creep through!
Haha! I love the American 'erbs!

Tesla’s have been directed to the single deck carriages for a few years now. I asked the attendant why and he told me that a MX was damaged on a top deck and the owner sued. Since then all Tesla’s go on the single deck rather than training staff on the different models.
Yes indeed; I have just booked and noticed that they advise that we will be put on a single decker.

We have a cancellable ticket as, in all the years of crossing, at least twice, usually more, a year since it opened, we have never felt that the experience would be sufficiently enhanced to justify the Flexiplus price.

However, we now have an EV. I notice that the Superchargers are at the Flexi Lounge. I am assuming that all Teslas, not just Flexi folk can charge there.

If any members have had recent experience of charging at either Folkestone or Coquelles, I would appreciate their feedback.
Thank you.

Yes indeed; I have just booked and noticed that they advise that we will be put on a single decker.

We have a cancellable ticket as, in all the years of crossing, at least twice, usually more, a year since it opened, we have never felt that the experience would be sufficiently enhanced to justify the Flexiplus price.

However, we now have an EV. I notice that the Superchargers are at the Flexi Lounge. I am assuming that all Teslas, not just Flexi folk can charge there.

If any members have had recent experience of charging at either Folkestone or Coquelles, I would appreciate their feedback.
Thank you.
There are a couple stalls at the Flexiplus lounge indeed, but also a dozen more in front of the 'Main' terminal (in both Calais & Folkestone) with (every time I went) exceptional availability. So no need to buy a Flexiplus ticket to charge, you can go the the regular ones instead (and they're conveniently located at the entrance).

Used the Coquelles SC in the Flexi area earlier this month. They're in a "drive-thru" arrangement, but have a very tight turn if exiting forwards, with a nasty kerb waiting for anyone not paying attention. I decided to reverse out back into the Flexi car park.

Flexi was well worth it for both ends of the trip, especially the outbound where we were caught up in last month's horrendous jams just to get to the check-in. Once through passport control, grabbed some food in the lounge, then pretty much drove straight onto a waiting shuttle. By all accounts, non-Flexi customers were waiting upwards of an hour or two in the queuing lanes.

Would 100% recommend Flexi if travelling during peak season.

There are a couple stalls at the Flexiplus lounge indeed, but also a dozen more in front of the 'Main' terminal (in both Calais & Folkestone) with (every time I went) exceptional availability. So no need to buy a Flexiplus ticket to charge, you can go the the regular ones instead (and they're conveniently located at the entrance).
Excellent! Thank you for that.

n
Used the Coquelles SC in the Flexi area earlier this month. They're in a "drive-thru" arrangement, but have a very tight turn if exiting forwards, with a nasty kerb waiting for anyone not paying attention. I decided to reverse out back into the Flexi car park.

Flexi was well worth it for both ends of the trip, especially the outbound where we were caught up in last month's horrendous jams just to get to the check-in. Once through passport control, grabbed some food in the lounge, then pretty much drove straight onto a waiting shuttle. By all accounts, non-Flexi customers were waiting upwards of an hour or two in the queuing lanes.

Would 100% recommend Flexi if travelling during peak season.
Thank you. I am hoping that things will be back to something approaching the old normal by 20th September.

Reactions: LavanyaLea
The Eurostar wifi is good enough to support Netflix!?

We recently booked Euro Tunnel for our Q2 2022 Y LR and noticed that we were automatically deemed a wide load and assigned single deck status. All went well for both outbound and yesterdays inbound crossing. I appreciated the wider carriage but have only now realised that we might have paid a premium for the privilege. I will check this out.

Outbound, our heads were full of anticipation for our first French trip since the Covid 19 lockdown, and our first ever Tesla drive on the right (wrong) side of the road. On the return crossing, we were delighted to have top quality end to end Netflix.

Between the Supercharger and the crossing, we had time to watch an episode of "Kleo", a great German espionage drama; a Germanic "Fargo" meets "The Girl with the Dragon Tat'" and a bit of Monty Pythonesque slapstick to mop up the blood, so to speak.

So much joy was had driving the Y in France; even more than here. Does the novelty ever wear off?

P.S. Our late morning and late afternoon crossings were "normal busy" and hassle free. Our tickets were not Flexi but we paid the small premium for free cancellation.

I can't say that the experience of any of our 30 plus trips over would have been particularly enhanced by having Flexiplus tickets but I can totally understand why some would find it, for their circumstances, preferences and peace of mind, the way to go, particularly at the high summer and February half term peaks. On the other hand I would not be without the Imovis Tag for Peage non stop drive through - essential!

Last edited: