Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news on LFP Battery testing in Canada? Have any Base Model 3's with LFP been delivered in Canada yet? I have a friend who is scheduled to receive his base 3 in late Feb 2022, would be interesting to see what the range loss is at -10C or -20C. Any one here waiting for their delievery in Canada for early 2022?

Any news on LFP Battery testing in Canada? Have any Base Model 3's with LFP been delivered in Canada yet? I have a friend who is scheduled to receive his base 3 in late Feb 2022, would be interesting to see what the range loss is at -10C or -20C. Any one here waiting for their delievery in Canada for early 2022?
Spoke with out SA today. He said probably around February 10th with a big BUT. It may arrive early. In the meantime I initiated the financing.

You can watch the below testing. Done overseas.

Reactions: HAL8950
I have a friend who is scheduled to receive his base 3 in late Feb 2022, would be interesting to see what the range loss is at -10C or -20C.
More real-world data would be great, but the couple of data points we have do not bode well for LFP range in cold weather.
Edit: It appears, from the limited data, that's it's very important to precondition to avoid drastic range reduction with LFP.

Reactions: HAL8950
I am very concern with my 2022 SR+ LFP battery performance.
Can someone please tell me whether my battery is within specs.
So far the "average" efficiency I get is about 240 wH/mile.
I have been tracking the miles remaining shown vs the actual odometer reading.
What I have found is that the battery registers 9 miles for 5 actual miles traveled according to the odometer,
Which means that my range is (5/9) X 271miles = 150 miles of actual usable range. ( at 100% charge the reading show 271 miles range)
Is this the right way to look at how much actual range is ?

What I have found is that the battery registers 9 miles for 5 actual miles traveled according to the odometer,
Which means that my range is (5/9) X 271miles = 150 miles of actual usable range. ( at 100% charge the reading show 271 miles range)
Perhaps someone closer to or in San Diego can share their effeciency. Whts outside temp now days? Also are you pre conditioning or driving a cold battery? That effects range.

240wh/m isn’t terrible. It could be better but given the season it’s acceptable. What’s the average outside temp moment?

Short trips or trips in cold weather with the battery stone cold are woeful. Longer trips even in the cold do settle the consumption down as the battery warms up and you are more steady with the speed.

We’re km/h this neck of the woods but converted my record was 320wh/m @3 degrees c. It stayed that way for 10 mins or so then reduced to what you’re quoting.

I would definitely get into the habhit of preheating the battery or scheduling a departure. This will help

Driving style, outside temp, climate control usage, how much time you spend idle in the car before driving, terrain, tire pressures...these all contribute to your average Wh/mi. 240 wh/mi is certainly in the realm of normal, and better than I sometimes see on short trips. I think my lifetime average is now around 230 (with about 1600 miles driven). I've seen two way averages around 220 with longer drives.

Also note: short trips and long park times (esp with sentry mode on) create a lot of overhead that will result in lower actual efficiency. Your 5 miles = 9 miles of drain I assume is taking this idle overhead into play. When you stop and park the car without charging, the car remains "on" and is pulling energy for sentry mode, maintaining battery temp, cabin overheat protection, etc. If you start with a full battery (preconditioned, or in nice weather), and drive nonstop, you should see about 60kwh/240wh/mi= 250miles before empty (assuming you continue to average 240 wh/mi).

We took delivery 9/4. Anyone else with the LFP seeing the same estimated miles at 100%?
Screenshot_20220111-225540_Tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
We took delivery 9/4. Anyone else with the LFP seeing the same estimated miles at 100%?
View attachment 754793
Yes, I took delivery a week after you and 248 seems to be the norm. If you go back a few pages in this thread you can see some more discussion on this and my attempts to see if the BMS would recalibrate a bit if I let the battery get down to 20-30% each time (even letting it sit overnight unplugged to allow deep sleep) before charging all the way back to 100% (both supercharging and at home). None of it seemed to make a real difference and I’m still at 248 today. I do wish it had hung on to that initial 253 for a bit longer, but it’s been reliably at 248 for maybe 6 weeks which is…fine. Perhaps as we start to see warmer temps we’ll get a corollary small boost in projected range, but I’m not holding my breath.

Yes, I took delivery a week after you and 248 seems to be the norm. If you go back a few pages in this thread you can see some more discussion on this and my attempts to see if the BMS would recalibrate a bit if I let the battery get down to 20-30% each time (even letting it sit overnight unplugged to allow deep sleep) before charging all the way back to 100% (both supercharging and at home). None of it seemed to make a real difference and I’m still at 248 today. I do wish it had hung on to that initial 253 for a bit longer, but it’s been reliably at 248 for maybe 6 weeks which is…fine. Perhaps as we start to see warmer temps we’ll get a corollary small boost in projected range, but I’m not holding my breath.
Yeah, I was hoping for the sticker estimate of 263 miles after the latest update but instead it's at 248. Oh well.

The 2021 LFP packs were 58 Kwh, the 2022s are 60kwh and they use a different motor tuned differently to get a bit more mileage, which is why they quote 272mi range on the website.
Indeed. And the 2021 LFP's are also about 0.5 sec faster 0-60. So there is a price to pay either way - range vs acceleration. Now if we could make that trade off on the fly vs having it baked into the car that would be awesome.

The 2021 LFP packs were 58 Kwh, the 2022s are 60kwh and they use a different motor tuned differently to get a bit more mileage, which is why they quote 272mi range on the website.

2021 LFP was 55.1kWh FPWN actually. And the prior NCA with 2170L was 55.4kWh FPWN I think but typically was closer to 53.5kWh. And the NCA 2170 was ~52.4kWh FPWN.

Oh wow!! You are right. I just checked the sticker window and it stated 68%. So, I guess when they quickly made these Unicorn SR+ available on inventory, they didn't have the proper window sticker for it and just stuck the old.NCA window sticker on an LFP SR+. WOW!!!