Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is another data point from yesterday.

I left home in 17F outside temp. Car was parked in my driveway, scheduled for a full charge and preheated. Battery average temp was 67 F. I drove with 67 F interior temp with jacket on, heated seat set on Auto and steering heat. When I got to work, battery temp dropped to 61 F.

Parked about 8 hours while outside temp drops to 15 F then climbed to 18 F when I left work. The battery temp was 34 F and increased to 42 F when I got home. I drove back with the same interior heat setting.

I had 37 kW regen at 99% SOC and 8 kW regen at 92% (leaving work). I did not see the snow icon for the battery, indicating temporary capacity loss.

Consumption: I used 7.5 kWh for the 30 miles commute so the consumption works out to 250 Wh/mi. My lifetime was 206 Wh/mi and it climbed to 207 Wh/mi.

Here is another data point from yesterday.

I left home in 17F outside temp. Car was parked in my driveway, scheduled for a full charge and preheated. Battery average temp was 67 F. I drove with 67 F interior temp with jacket on, heated seat set on Auto and steering heat. When I got to work, battery temp dropped to 61 F.

Parked about 8 hours while outside temp drops to 15 F then climbed to 18 F when I left work. The battery temp was 34 F and increased to 42 F when I got home. I drove back with the same interior heat setting.

I had 37 kW regen at 99% SOC and 8 kW regen at 92% (leaving work). I did not see the snow icon for the battery, indicating temporary capacity loss.

Consumption: I used 7.5 kWh for the 30 miles commute so the consumption works out to 250 Wh/mi. My lifetime was 206 Wh/mi and it climbed to 207 Wh/mi.
Wow. Really good to hear. What are your charging habits for the LFP? Do you plug it in every night and charge it to 100%? Keep it plugged in?

Oh wow!! You are right. I just checked the sticker window and it stated 68%. So, I guess when they quickly made these Unicorn SR+ available on inventory, they didn't have the proper window sticker for it and just stuck the old.NCA window sticker on an LFP SR+. WOW!!!
Mine didn’t come with a window sticker so my expectation was always 253 (which it did start at for about 2 months).

Does anyone know if the total BMS estimate increases if you select (and actually add) the Aero covers?

I am just wondering about LFP charging cycles.

I've read that the LFP batteries should be good for 2000 to 5000 cycles before the hit the 80% degradation level. Though there is a huge range of 3000 between the two numbers.

Is this accurate?
When you say "Cycle" is that from 0-100%
Or is it anytime you charge no matter how much you add? Say from 80-100% so adding only 20%
Or is it cumulative?

As the manual is saying charge daily to 100% and others say a happy car is one that is charging daily.

If I can go for 2000 cycles say 1 per day this gives the car a life before hitting 80% at 5.47 years
If I can go for 5000 cycles say 1 per day this gives the car a life before hitting 80% at 13.69 years

What is to be expected?
Still trying to wrap my head around all this battery info. Lots to learn.

Reactions: pipp
Have not read a lot about LFP batteries but follows is my understanding for the NCA chemistry. If you charged 5 times and added 20% each time that would be considered a cycle; however, it is not exactly one for one. The five charging cycles would cause slightly less long term HV battery degradation. Now if your state of charge for any of those charge cycles was below 10% or above 90% that also effects degradation slightly. If you always AC slow charged between say 45% and 50% your HV battery would last a very long time; however, the car would not be of much use. There a lot of parameters that effect long term traction battery lifespan such as charge rate, cell temp and many others but I am not going to go down that rat hole.

There's a new video from UK comparing all 3 variants of model 3:
LFP SR (made in China) 60kWh 18inch aero, LR 75kWh 19 inch, P 82kWh 20 inch at around 0 celsius (32 F)
TLDR:
efficiency:
SR: 161 wh/100km, 259wh/mi
LR: 164 wh/100km, 264wh/mi
P: 183 wh/100km, 295wh/mi
range (calculated based on usage after 124 miles drive):
SR: 338 km, 210 miles
LR: 407 km, 253 miles
P: 391 km, 243 miles

There's a new video from UK comparing all 3 variants of model 3:
LFP SR (made in China) 60kWh 18inch aero, LR 75kWh 19 inch, P 82kWh 20 inch at around 0 celsius (32 F)
TLDR:
efficiency:
SR: 161 wh/100km, 259wh/mi
LR: 164 wh/100km, 264wh/mi
P: 183 wh/100km, 295wh/mi
range (calculated based on usage after 124 miles drive):
SR: 338 km, 210 miles
LR: 407 km, 253 miles
P: 391 km, 243 miles

Also note the charge times in the video. The km/min added for the LFP was on par with the LR and P.

And yes, I realize many folks see temps much colder than 0 C, but for many of us, that's about as low as we are likely to encounter.

Also note the charge times in the video. The km/min added for the LFP was on par with the LR and P.

And yes, I realize many folks see temps much colder than 0 C, but for many of us, that's about as low as we are likely to encounter.
Bruh you're in California. The rest of the western world is in the "temperate zone" which gets a real winter season with temperatures often below the freezing point of water.

• Funny
Reactions: TexaCali

Any change in your charging habbits bud? Still doing 100% once a Week? Range still showing same at 100%.? Thanks man in advance

Last edited:
I think the term is "full cycle equivalent", or FCE. If you add 20% charge each time you charge, and do it for 5 times, that would be one FCE.
Here's some more info on LFP, including why you should charge to 100% and a graph of battery degradation compared to NCA chemistry. Looks like LFP will yield at least 3500 FCE before it degrades to 80%. At, say, 250 miles per FCE, that would be 875,000 miles.

Bruh you're in California. The rest of the western world is in the "temperate zone" which gets a real winter season with temperatures often below the freezing point of water.
LoL, oh I know. One of the few good things about living out here.
Any change in your charging habbits bud? Still doing 100% once a Week? Range still showing same at 100%.? Thanks man in advance
Nope. Still doing the same, charge to 100%, then drive until I don't have enough range left to comfortably handle the next day (usually around 20% or 100 miles. charge about once a week). I'm still seeing 273 miles when full. About 1600 miles total and 2 months in.

BTW - for those of you still waiting for your cars....here are a few of the improvements Tesla has made in the barely 60 days since they delivered my car:
-laminated rear windows for quieter interior (only my front windows are laminated. My back windows are a single piece of glass)
-LiPo 12V battery (lighter, will never need replacement and you will never have a dead car that you can't unlock)
-AMD processor (presumably this will allow UI improvements that older cars like mine won't get)
-heated wiper blades (not going to make any difference where I live, but for some of you this could be huge)

Even though I missed out on those improvements, I really love the car.

Reactions: amit_gunner