Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, now it's saying 246 estimated miles rather than 248. Anyone else seeing this? DD 9/4.
I think you shouldn't focus as much on the daily estimates and instead watch the trending average. I saw mine at 246 last week, and today it's showing 248. It wouldn't surprise me if it were different tomorrow. Check out that video I posted just before your comment--his estimated range has had wild swings up and down over 50,000 miles.

Have only charged my LFP battery a few times so far (only had it 3 weeks) but I find the last percent (charging to 100% each time) takes close to an hour using a level 2 charger and has a full 6 kWh going into it until the last few minutes as it tapers down.

The original estimate (say 8 hours from 40%) of how long a complete charge is seems to be very accurate.

Have only charged my LFP battery a few times so far (only had it 3 weeks) but I find the last percent (charging to 100% each time) takes close to an hour using a level 2 charger and has a full 6 kWh going into it until the last few minutes as it tapers down.

The original estimate (say 8 hours from 40%) of how long a complete charge is seems to be very accurate.

LFP batteries have not much voltage drop/gain throughout the charge cycle until they are full to the brim. So the car never really knows the true SOC as it doesnt columbcount.

This is much better than what it was when the LFPs were initially released in germany. Lots of people getting stranded with cars routinely dropping from 30% to 0% in a few minutes of driving or still supercharging at 50kw at 99% SOC if they werent charged to 100% every few days.
At that time Tesla recommended to charge to 100% everyday as the BMS was too unreliable to give accurate SOC <95% and >5% SOC.

Since then the cars have been updated though and it has been much much less of an issue.

LFP batteries have not much voltage drop/gain throughout the charge cycle until they are full to the brim. So the car never really knows the true SOC as it doesnt columbcount.

This is much better than what it was when the LFPs were initially released in germany. Lots of people getting stranded with cars routinely dropping from 30% to 0% in a few minutes of driving or still supercharging at 50kw at 99% SOC if they werent charged to 100% every few days.
At that time Tesla recommended to charge to 100% everyday as the BMS was too unreliable to give accurate SOC <95% and >5% SOC.

Since then the cars have been updated though and it has been much much less of an issue.
I've been running my 2022 LFP car from 100% to as low as 8% over the course of a week, charging to 100% once a week, and the car has been doing a great job predicting the remaining range - no sudden range or indicated SOC drops. Obviously I have no idea how much charge is really in the battery, but the car hasn't run out of juice and all the numbers look reasonable (see my prior posts for various detailed reports). Bottom line - it appears Tesla is doing a decent job with BMS for LFP's with their current vehicles. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

I've been running my 2022 LFP car from 100% to as low as 8% over the course of a week, charging to 100% once a week, and the car has been doing a great job predicting the remaining range - no sudden range or indicated SOC drops. Obviously I have no idea how much charge is really in the battery, but the car hasn't run out of juice and all the numbers look reasonable (see my prior posts for various detailed reports). Bottom line - it appears Tesla is doing a decent job with BMS for LFP's with their current vehicles. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

like i just said, it has been updated and not been much discussed on the forum here as this was at a time when the usa had no LFP and the germans/french etc were mainly staying their own language subforums.

Went on a longer trip with a 2022 LFP with AMD. Ended the trip with 30 miles of range remaining having traveled close to 200 miles. I think these are great results considering that I was traveling 75-90 the entire time and had sentry mode on at our friend's place. Lifetime average is about 220 wh/mi so far after 1000 miles. Charged right back up to 273 the next day, no problem no fuss.

My buddy in South Island New Zealand has ordered a Chinese made (Shanghai) Model 3. He tells me the battery pack is different than American made battery?
How so? I believe he has ordered a Standard Range Model 3 and tells me he has been told it is a 300 mile range?

Saw a link to this battery research on Reddit, and thought it would be fun to dive into it a little. I don't know if this is a one-for-one comparison to the LFP batteries in our cars, but I think it should at least be representative of our batteries.

I chopped it up to highlight LFP over the NCA and NMC. The purple and green annotations are also my comments. I used the phrase "Ideal, practical SoC" because ideally we might want to keep our batteries between 10-40%, but that's not practical for most of us. Also, this doesn't take into account the need to fully charge for BMS calibration. The full publication is here.

This is only meant to be a fun thought experiment. Not trying to dictate how people charge and I don't think any LFP cars will be trashed by daily charging to 100%.

Degradation_Conditions_for_LFP_Batteries.jpg

Last edited:
I also saw this posted on Reddit, and it shows similar results to the graph above. This one appears to be much more generic (there's not even units in the vertical axis, and it doesn't specify the battery chemistry). Bottom line with both of these graphs is that 10-70% is where we want to be a majority of time with our batteries to minimize degradation. At least that's how I'm interpreting them.

16457750359113891335548894535362.jpg

Reactions: eevee-fan
I also saw this posted on Reddit, and it shows similar results to the graph above. This one appears to be much more generic (there's not even units in the vertical axis, and it doesn't specify the battery chemistry). Bottom line with both of these graphs is that 10-70% is where we want to be a majority of time with our batteries to minimize degradation. At least that's how I'm interpreting them.

View attachment 774441
That graph is made by an user here on TMC and he made it clear it was sort of a half guess. Just search and you'll find.

The increased "stress" at low SOC is not correct for NCA, NMC or LFP.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
That graph is made by an user here on TMC and he made it clear it was sort of a half guess. Just search and you'll find.

The increased "stress" at low SOC is not correct for NCA, NMC or LFP.
Thanks. That explains why the low-end "stress" is so much more pronounced in that graph than the actual data from the research study. I'll try to delete or otherwise update that post.

EDIT: Can't do it. Take that second graph with a huge grain of salt, because it's probably not accurate. The graphs in the previous post should be good though.

Reactions: AAKEE