Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question regarding charge limit. Say I plug in my car and it reaches the charge limit but I leave it plugged in. Will using precondition and the AC etc… dig into range or will the car use the power from the wall somehow?

Then why is Tesla telling us to charge 100% every day for daily use but not other batteries
Degradation of LFP batteries is generally slower than with NCA batteries, and the LFP flat voltage curve means that charging to 100% is the best way to keep the BMS accurate in terms of knowing the actual charge level.

A relatively easy procedure is to set the charging to complete just before you start driving, so that it is not parked at 100% for that long. For longer term storage, leave it plugged in with the charge level set to 50%, then charge it to 100% when you get back just before driving the car.

Degradation of LFP batteries is generally slower than with NCA batteries, and the LFP flat voltage curve means that charging to 100% is the best way to keep the BMS accurate in terms of knowing the actual charge level.

A relatively easy procedure is to set the charging to complete just before you start driving, so that it is not parked at 100% for that long. For longer term storage, leave it plugged in with the charge level set to 50%, then charge it to 100% when you get back just before driving the car.

Thanks for the helpful discussion, but per the Tesla manual, the recommendation seems to be to charge to 100% for daily use….where does it say to charge to the car to say 80-90%, and then top it up to 100% “before the drive”?

If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.

Thanks for the helpful discussion, but per the Tesla manual, the recommendation seems to be to charge to 100% for daily use….where does it say to charge to the car to say 80-90%, and then top it up to 100% “before the drive”?

If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
Tesla cares that the car is easy to use and that the battery retains 70% of its capacity in the warranty period. If you are happy with 70%, then you can probably safely charge however you wish. Just make it convenient for yourself.

The communication from corporate is simple, because you cannot communicate nuance to groups: ( fun twitter thread on this )

Because charging to 100% is *less bad* in terms of degredation with LFP, and because charging to 100% is more important with LFP for BMs calibration, Tesla recommends just charging it to 100% and not worrying about it.

However, it remains a fact in our physical world that if you only charged it to 50% regularly, the battery would degrade slower, and if you have an interest in that, and don't mind setting the charge limit to 50%, you can do so.

On my car I set the charge limit to 50% and schedule it to charge at 4am, so that it sits overnight even lower than 50%. Easy and painless for me. The battery is expensive so I give it the best chance to work for a long time.

Hello guys i have the same MIC 55kw LFP M3. I only able to get 49.3-49.5 kwh. Is it possible that my car does not have the reduced top buffer? I am on latest software, 18.000km on odometer, mainly 75% home charging on 10amps.
How do you measure this. Anyway, of course you only can get 52.5kWh out of a 55kWh battery run to 0%; that is the way it works with a 4.5% buffer.

There is not exactly a top buffer, AFAIK. There is jusr expanded energy content of the rated miles if you have energy in excess of the degradation threshold.

How do you measure this. Anyway, of course you only can get 52.5kWh out of a 55kWh battery run to 0%; that is the way it works with a 4.5% buffer.

There is not exactly a top buffer, AFAIK. There is jusr expanded energy content of the rated miles if you have energy in excess of the degradation threshold.
I charged the car to 100% and drove it at 90km/h till 2% as teslabjorn did. Maybe i was wondering it has 4.5kwh top buffer not the redued 2kwh.

I charged the car to 100% and drove it at 90km/h till 2% as teslabjorn did. Maybe i was wondering it has 4.5kwh top buffer not the redued 2kwh.
So that would be:

~49.5kWh/0.98/0.99/0.955 = 53.4kWh.

But can be a bit of rough estimate, could imply as high as 54kWh.

In the end just look at your rated miles at 100% - do they match the original rating still?

Nope it went down from 263 to 252.
Right, so that would make some sense.

252/263 = 0.958

53.4/55.1 = 0.969

Lines up pretty well, seems normal. I’m just going from memory on the 2021 LFP FPWN being 55.1kWh (can search in this thread I think) and matching the degradation threshold (they don’t necessarily match, for example it is not even close for 2021 SR+ NCA, I think 55.4KWh FPWN vs. 53.5kWh threshold).

So just a few % loss in capacity.

In any case all is perfectly as expected within about a percent or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: gergelyricsike
Degradation of LFP batteries is generally slower than with NCA batteries,

The cyclic aging is less, the LFP is very little affected by big cycles, like charging to 100% and driving down to low SOC.

But the main part of degradation during the first years comes from calendar aging (despite most people focus on degradation per miles driven).

Looking at the charts for degradation at teslalogger.de we can see that Model 3 LR seem to loose about 6% during the first 50K km, and the two charts for LFP cars is close to that. So far not that many miles but the curves do not differ much. Maybe a small benidot for the LFP’s.

This is as expected, from the research about calendar aging:

53B74789-9B27-46F0-AB98-F74582142710.jpeg

22 RWD (19” Sport wheels) with under 1000 miles. On the first couple of 100% charges, estimated range was 273 miles; which is more than what Tesla advertises. On the last 100% charge, it’s now showing 267/268 miles and switches between the 2 every few seconds. I haven’t changed the wheel settings on the car.

Curious if anyone else experienced the same. Does this sound like over 2% degradation in a couple of weeks or just the car finding it’s true range?

22 RWD (19” Sport wheels) with under 1000 miles. On the first couple of 100% charges, estimated range was 273 miles; which is more than what Tesla advertises. On the last 100% charge, it’s now showing 267/268 miles and switches between the 2 every few seconds. I haven’t changed the wheel settings on the car.

Curious if anyone else experienced the same. Does this sound like over 2% degradation in a couple of weeks or just the car finding it’s true range?
The BMS constantly tries to estimate the battery capacity. This affects the range ca at the battery icon.

A rapid change will not be true degradation.

The true degradation will:
-Not be shown by the car, as it guesstimates all the time.
-Not go up and down like the on screen range.
-Be quite slow with some 5% the first year (maybe slightly less for the LFP cars) and then will the degradation slow down gradually.

Reactions: rudythecar

Mine was 439km now is 430/31/32kms. I'm all good with it. I'm only looking at % and the energy graph.