Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5% top buffer on the LFP,
What is this? I wasn’t aware of any such buffer.
The user manual expressly says to charge to 100% at least once a week.
This is to make sure you don’t get stranded (very important!), not for battery health.
([EDIT: sounds like @AAKEE has clarified his meaning, but in any case not charging to 100% won’t cause any harm, other than perhaps leaving you stranded by the road…which obviously is not desirable.)

Last edited:
What is this? I wasn’t aware of any such buffer.

While I havent dug deep into Teslas LFP setup I would say that there probably is no top buffer.

LFP’s is much less sensitive than NCA and NMC for high SOC. Tesla do not use any top buffer for these.
So the need for a top buffer is non existing.
A top buffer would also reduce the usable capacity of a already limited LFP capacity.

Tesla use a variable bottom buffer for the new LFP’s. I havent gotten into it but saw some posts about this here on TMC.
As the BMS can be more or less certain about the remaining energy it seems wise to increase the buffer when uncertain and reduce the buffer when not that uncertain.
LFP’s itself do not need buffer for protection of the battery as full 100-0% cycles wear very little.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Of course there is a top buffer, how else can there be almost full regen at 100%? If the battery was actually full, you’d have no regen just like with the NCA batteries.

The usable is 57.5kw out of 60kw. Or has that changed?

Last edited:
Of course there is a top buffer, how else can there be almost full regen at 100%? If the battery was actually full, you’d have no regen just like with the NCA batteries.

The usable is 57.5kw out of 60kw. Or has that changed?
Yes, that observation implies some buffer, but exactly how big it is is unclear. Someone would have to regen down a big hill from 100% and monitor SMT; not hard to figure out. (Very unlikely 5% as you indicated.) I would expect it to stop regenerating after recapturing less than 1kWh (less than 1000 feet), but that is just a wild guess.

The dynamics of how the LFP can accept charge near 100% is likely different than the NCAs. I’m not sure exactly what all the electrochemical issues are, but this could affect both how much more you can charge it (and impacts on battery heath) as well as the RATE at which you can charge/overcharge it, which affects utility of regen; two distinct issues here (@AAKEE may (will) know more). The rate at which you can add charge to an NCA gets very slow at high SOC, which makes the utility of a higher charge limit very low, completely neglecting any safety or damage issues due to overcharging (would take a long time to get to a higher limit, which makes it not very useful). This rate limiting at high (near but below 100%) SOCs seems to be less of an issue for LFPs.

The 2.5kWh you mention is bottom buffer. It is 4.5% (but can increase to 11% for the LFPs apparently if the BMS is in doubt; this is special LFP behavior, and can be observed in SMT).

Last edited:
Yes, that observation implies some buffer, but exactly how big it is is unclear. Someone would have to regen down a big hill from 100% and monitor SMT; not hard to figure out. (Very unlikely 5% as you indicated.) I would expect it to stop regenerating after recapturing less than 1kWh (less than 1000 feet), but that is just a wild guess.

The 2.5kWh you mention is bottom buffer. It is 4.5% (but can increase to 11% for the LFPs apparently if the BMS is in doubt; this is special LFP behavior, and can be observed in SMT).
Makes sense.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I don't understand why some owners tend to ignore Tesla's advice of charging LFP batteries to 100% often, if BMS forget your battery capacity it is same as degradation. As far as I am aware you cannot recalibrate that forgotten capacity back the battery. (You can with NCAs but not with LFPs due to flat voltage curve).
Agreed. I have a 2021 SR+ with LFP battery. 20,000 miles. I plug it in every night and start every day with 100% charge. Supercharge on trips (at least once a month). I lost 4-5 miles of range in first 2,000 miles. Hasn’t changed since. I enjoy the simplicity compared to my old battery.

I don't understand why some owners tend to ignore Tesla's advice of charging LFP batteries to 100% often, if BMS forget your battery capacity it is same as degradation.

Its not the same as degradation.
You only need one 100% full charge to reset the kWh counter in the BMS. As soon as the charging stops the BMS is back on track and knows the true SOC.

There is no risk of loosing capacity by not charging full but when the BMS looses track there is a risk of getting stranded with no energy left in the battery because the BMS thought it still was energy left in the batt.

The advice from Tesla is real and the risk of getting stuck with 0% is, so its vice to folow that advice.
As far as I am aware you cannot recalibrate that forgotten capacity back the battery. (You can with NCAs but not with LFPs due to flat voltage curve).

The BMS do not ”forget the capacity”.
You do not loose any capacity. You only get a BMS that lost track of the SOC.
A single full charge resets this.

2 months old RWD - 8000km @435km. Have been consistent at that number for few weeks now.
On a selfish note, it'd be helpful if people would include the max range of their car when it was new in these posts. Between the changes Tesla has made to ranges and the conversion between miles and kilometers, I really can't get much out of these posts without the extra context. But maybe it's because I'm a boob.

25,000 mile (40,000 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now about 11 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 52.8 kWh (down 3.3% from my original 23 Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 244 miles (down 3.6% from my original post of 253 miles). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car.

Note that my capacity loss appears to be leveling off, with the most severe decline in range coming between 4,000-5,500 miles on the odometer.

Screenshot_20220730-091218.jpg

According to the car's screen, I'm now averaging 217 Wh/mi over the life of the car (down from 220 during the 20,000 mile update). Seasonal temps and driving style are HUGE when it comes to the car's efficiency. In the winter I can expect 240+ Wh/mi, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile roundtrip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 52.8 kWh battery at my lifetime average 217 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 243.3 miles.

PXL_20220729_234027323.jpg

My charging is mostly Level 2 from a Grizzl-E on a 40 amp circuit in my garage. Until recently, I charged at 32 amps, but I started getting unexpected errors that would stop my charging sessions in the middle of the night, so I dropped my charge rate to 24 amps and that seems to have fixed the problem. I charge most nights due to a long commute, typically to about 70-80% a few times per week and a 100% once or twice a week.

Tessie says I've spent $711.33 on electricity for the life of the car, while the same driving in my old Ford Focus would've cost $2,723.42 in gasoline. So my fuel costs have been 26% compared to keeping my old car. Assuming the average US emissions of 0.85 pounds CO2 per kWh, the 5,928 kWh used while driving equates to 5,038 pounds of CO2 spent driving my Tesla. If I'd kept my 2012 Ford Focus (37mpg), I would've used 685 gallons of gas to travel these 25,358 miles. At about 19 pounds of CO2 per gallon, that would've been 13,015 pounds of CO2. So I'm spewing 39% of the carbon emissions than I would've released in my efficient little Focus. As the grid moves toward more renewables, that should only get better over the life of the car.

ScanMyTesla says I've used 143 charge cycles. LFP batteries are supposedly good for 5,000 cycles before degrading to 80%, so I've used 2.8% of those cycles since I bought the car on 23 Sep 2021. I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but at this rate, the car *should* last longer than I do.

Screenshot_20220729-184308.jpg

I'll try to post another update at 30,000 miles. That should be when we're getting nice fall weather, so I'm betting my average Wh/mi will be even lower.

Good to hear from you Baluchi, though I’m a bit let down because I expected you would have 100k miles by now. My first anniversary is coming up in a little more than a month as well. I’m thinking of celebrating by going big, and removing the little sheet of plastic that has been covering my MCU since I bought the car…

Hello guys. I got my Tesla model 3 LFP about 2 month ago. Regularly I charged 100%. When I got the car it was 439KM for 100% charged but now it is 432KM for 100% charge. Almost every two or three week I’m losing 2 or 3 KM. Is it normal

Probably. I'm not sure about LFP battery degradation curve but with NCA it seems to be higher at first, then tapers off. My 4 year old LR RWD (NCA) has lost about 5% (315 -> 298) but I didn't monitor the loss on a weekly basis. My suggestion is don't worry about it for now but check on it once every couple of months. I believe with the LFP battery is that you don't want to discharge it too far. In other words, keep it more full than more empty.

25,000 mile (40,000 km) update for my Sep 2021 SR+ LFP. The car is now about 11 months old and was originally rated at 253 miles on a full charge. The Tessie app shows a battery capacity of 52.8 kWh (down 3.3% from my original 23 Oct 2021 post of 54.6 kWh), and a max range of 244 miles (down 3.6% from my original post of 253 miles). I've had Tessie since my first day or two or ownership, so this data shows the entire life of the car.

Note that my capacity loss appears to be leveling off, with the most severe decline in range coming between 4,000-5,500 miles on the odometer.

View attachment 834594

According to the car's screen, I'm now averaging 217 Wh/mi over the life of the car (down from 220 during the 20,000 mile update). Seasonal temps and driving style are HUGE when it comes to the car's efficiency. In the winter I can expect 240+ Wh/mi, and in ideal temps (75-85f) I routinely manage under 200 Wh/mi on my 100 mile roundtrip commute. Assuming I could tap into the current 52.8 kWh battery at my lifetime average 217 Wh/mi efficiency, that gives me a real-world range of 243.3 miles.

View attachment 834596

My charging is mostly Level 2 from a Grizzl-E on a 40 amp circuit in my garage. Until recently, I charged at 32 amps, but I started getting unexpected errors that would stop my charging sessions in the middle of the night, so I dropped my charge rate to 24 amps and that seems to have fixed the problem. I charge most nights due to a long commute, typically to about 70-80% a few times per week and a 100% once or twice a week.

Tessie says I've spent $711.33 on electricity for the life of the car, while the same driving in my old Ford Focus would've cost $2,723.42 in gasoline. So my fuel costs have been 26% compared to keeping my old car. Assuming the average US emissions of 0.85 pounds CO2 per kWh, the 5,928 kWh used while driving equates to 5,038 pounds of CO2 spent driving my Tesla. If I'd kept my 2012 Ford Focus (37mpg), I would've used 685 gallons of gas to travel these 25,358 miles. At about 19 pounds of CO2 per gallon, that would've been 13,015 pounds of CO2. So I'm spewing 39% of the carbon emissions than I would've released in my efficient little Focus. As the grid moves toward more renewables, that should only get better over the life of the car.

ScanMyTesla says I've used 143 charge cycles. LFP batteries are supposedly good for 5,000 cycles before degrading to 80%, so I've used 2.8% of those cycles since I bought the car on 23 Sep 2021. I don't know how accurate any of these numbers are, but at this rate, the car *should* last longer than I do.

View attachment 834606

I'll try to post another update at 30,000 miles. That should be when we're getting nice fall weather, so I'm betting my average Wh/mi will be even lower.
Good info. I've always wondered how does SMT determine what mileage is a discharge cycle? When you do the math, it's 186miles/cycle. Presumably they have to include transmission inefficiency and non-driving usage. And why are there 7 more charge cycles than discharge cycles? Shouldn't it be 1 more charge than discharge, or is that also due to non-driving usage?

Reactions: Baluchi