Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ losing range while parked (29 KMs per 12 hrs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this question probably must have been asked previously, but I can’t seem to find post relevant to weather in Toronto Canada

I am fairly new to Tesla, took the delivery of my model 3 SR+ on July 20 and been using the vehicle since then. Based on my Past week's experience I observed that my model 3 SR+ is losing battery at the rate of about 2 KMs per hr while parked. Is this normal ? I park my car at the Go train station near my home daily for about 12 hrs. Everyday it is losing about 29 KMs (approx 2 KMs per hr). The conditions when I park are as below

Sentry Mode : On
- Car is parked in the sun : avg day time temp high in Toronto suburbs is around 31 degree Celsius, so I have observed cabin temp goes to max 35 in the afternoon. Tesla manual says climate control kicks off if cabin temp goes above 40 degree celsius (for 32 degrees definitely it's not kicking off)
- I stopped watching the car status on the Tesla App since past Wed and only check in the evening before taking return train.
- started using TeslaFi to monitor car activities since past Wednesday , however has activated sleep mode on TeslaFi that let's Tesla sleep and not remain awake

Let me know whether this is normal or do I have some setup missing , this is quite a significant battery range loss for a SR+ that has a limited range (385 KMs when fully charged). Is Sentry Mode the only culprit ? but I believe sentry mode is essential to be on for safety and security of the car. Really appreciate your inputs and advise , experiences

Last edited:
Sentry Mode is said to use about 1 mil per every hour so would be just under 20 km over 12 hours - 29 km is a little high.

Do you have overheat protection on? That would also use considerable power. If cabin temp is only 4° warmer than outside temp, that could be the culprit. Typically, my car can easily go 25° C higher inside than outside.

Checking the app while Sentry is on doesn't affect drain much - the issue is checking the app wakes up the car, however, with sentry on, the car does not go to sleep.

You can try keeping sentry off one day to see the drain difference. Also, try a "Power Off" cycle to see if that makes a difference. Check press "Power Off" in the menu and then wait three minutes before restarting the car (pressing the brake).

Sentry Mode is said to use about 1 mil per every hour so would be just under 20 km over 12 hours - 29 km is a little high.

Do you have overheat protection on? That would also use considerable power. If cabin temp is only 4° warmer than outside temp, that could be the culprit. Typically, my car can easily go 25° C higher inside than outside.

Checking the app while Sentry is on doesn't affect drain much - the issue is checking the app wakes up the car, however, with sentry on, the car does not go to sleep.

You can try keeping sentry off one day to see the drain difference. Also, try a "Power Off" cycle to see if that makes a difference. Check press "Power Off" in the menu and then wait three minutes before restarting the car (pressing the brake).
Okay thanks for the advise, I will try keeping sentry mode off for one day. And I read in the manual, climate control does not kick off till cabin team reached 40 degree Celsius

Last edited:
Look at your TeslaFi data. When the car is "idling" the power drain can be kind of high. When in "sleep" mode the power drain should be more like 1% to 2 KM per day. Power drain problems arise when the car is not allowed to sleep. This happens with Sentry, cabin overheat protection (sometimes), and especially data loggers like TeslaFi. I use TeslaFi, and enabling sleep mode should allow the car to sleep just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Here is the outcome of my testing today

4 hrs in the shade/ garage with sentry mode off and Cabin overheat protection on : Battery drain was 3 KMs , so 0.75KM per hr
5 Hrs in the sun with sentry mode off and Cabin overheat protection on (the cabin temp went above 40 degree Celsius and I heard AC running few times : Battery drain was 7 KMs , so 1.4 KMs per hr
So indeed looks like both Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection contribute to battery drain. I believe cabin overheat protection is essential feature that protests the electronics and battery of the car so should not be disabled however sentry mode is a bigger sucker and needs to be turned off if you wan to save drain

I am going to do one more test and that is disabling TeslaFi totally although I have activated sleep mode settings on TeslaFi

Last edited:
Here is the outcome of my testing today

4 hrs in the shade/ garage with sentry mode off and Cabin overheat protection on : Battery drain was 3 KMs , so 0.75KM per hr
5 Hrs in the sun with sentry mode off and Cabin overheat protection on (the cabin temp went above 40 degree Celsius and I heard AC running few times : Battery drain was 7 KMs , so 1.4 KMs per hr
So indeed looks like both Sentry mode and cabin overheat protection contribute to battery drain. I believe cabin overheat protection is essential feature that protests the electronics and battery of the car so should not be disabled however sentry mode is a bigger sucker and needs to be turned off if you wan to save drain

I am going to do one more test and that is disabling TeslaFi totally
I have Teslafi and it works fine if you properly set the sleep modes. I have no Sentry mode on and Cabin Overheat off. When I plug the car in for the night I turn off AC. My 3 sleeps fine. You don’t have to disable Teslafi.

Attachments

• 74E173C0-CDE6-43D3-8E9D-A71F467D554D.png
    74E173C0-CDE6-43D3-8E9D-A71F467D554D.png
    601.3 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: GTA2011