Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ Mileage at Full Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is right now @ 90%

7AD34955-103C-4A71-AE37-83EA815A9124.jpeg

it only showed 41kwh used, which is way less than the sr+ usable 50kwh. even acounting for the 5% remaining, the degregaton, and the buffer, there is still a lot of batter left unaccounted for,which can only mean more deegation in a short amount of time, which is concerning.

You have to measure this sort of thing in a single drive. Remember the meter does not count energy used when in Park. You need to be careful with these numbers. I am not saying you do not have loss of capacity - you probably do. But you have to measure it carefully. Or just base it on your rated miles at 100% and use the charging constant for your vehicle.

2019 June SR+ at 19k miles. I charged to 100% on Saturday and got 233 miles.
I haven't really done anything special to try and preserve the battery life. I charge to 100% before leaving on road trips and drain it down to single digits, if I can, before supercharging. Daily charge has been set to 90% since I got the car.

I haven't lost 2 miles. I've lost 22 miles, even after following proper charging habits.

For a June 2019 SR+, discharging from 100% to 5%, with loss of capacity to 240-22 = 228mi, on the trip meter, you would expect:

228rmi*0.95*0.955*219Wh/rmi * 0.98 = 44.4kWh.

The 0.98 is to account for uncounted loss which seems to exist for unknown reasons.

Anyway your 41kWh is a bit short for sure. Presumably due to losses in Park if the drive was not continuous.

2019 June SR+ at 19k miles. I charged to 100% on Saturday and got 233 miles.
I haven't really done anything special to try and preserve the battery life. I charge to 100% before leaving on road trips and drain it down to single digits, if I can, before supercharging. Daily charge has been set to 90% since I got the car.

Is it just me, or do the people who are hardest on their batteries seem to have the least degradation?

Is it just me, or do the people who are hardest on their batteries seem to have the least degradation?

I think it is pretty much random. Have not seen any clear pattern. Based on the EPA test vehicles there appears to be perhaps 2kWh difference in starting capacity so that is probably part of it. Also this owner has about 4% capacity loss (assuming 53kWh starting point which could be low), which is not awesome, just ok, after 6-7 months.

Last edited:
Coming up on close to 1 year (March), 20k miles and get 236-238 on full. It has been that way since I basically got it. I charge to 80% daily. Only have gone below 20% a few times and only charged to 100% a handful. It is plugged in most of the time, even not charging as I use the departure time feature to get the most regen

2019 March build, SR+ charge to 90% daily to 215 miles and at 100% 239-240 miles. Seems the OP needs to recalibrate the battery by taking it down to 10% and back up to 100% at least 2 or 3 times. Give this a try it should correct that range lost.

You won the battery lottery. Congratulations. However, the calibration advice given here is the aforementioned voodoo.

This whole rated range fiasco has definitely created a small side of concern when I drive. I originally had a SR which got around 215 when fully charged. After a month or two it went down to 204-202, which made me obsessed over it. I later upgrade to SR+ hoping to recover the lost range and saw a jump to 228. Now it's hovering around 219, which is not great at all, but I'm just going to drive it now as I don't want this to take up any more real estate in my mind. And Yes, I did cycle the battery a few times, with no real luck and actually saw the range drop instead.

This whole rated range fiasco has definitely created a small side of concern when I drive. I originally had a SR which got around 215 when fully charged. After a month or two it went down to 204-202, which made me obsessed over it. I later upgrade to SR+ hoping to recover the lost range and saw a jump to 228. Now it's hovering around 219, which is not great at all, but I'm just going to drive it now as I don't want this to take up any more real estate in my mind. And Yes, I did cycle the battery a few times, with no real luck and actually saw the range drop instead.

Seems that you're around 10% loss of capacity, which every new Tesla Model 3 owner should expect. Hopefully yours stays strong from this point and the rapid capacity loss is over. I have my doubts about that in your case (see comments above about the battery lottery), but hopefully you're fine and at least don't drop more than 15% total (about 206 rated miles, not 204 = 0.85*240 rated miles) for the next few years.

It's becoming increasingly unlikely as time goes by, but also hoping that a small partial recovery (a couple %?) will come at some point in the future with updated BMS algorithms & methods. However, I'm not aware of any physical reason to think that such a hope is reasonable. But hope is still good to have...

I'm also not sure how folks who have been driving ICE vehicles their entire lives don't realize the same variables exist for gas mileage. If I do 80mph for an hour I will get less mpg then if I do 60. Most cars now give instant MPG on the dash, teslas do the equivalent.

But with ICE, there's no fear of battery degradation, which is what's at the root of this range anxiety behavior.

Reactions: CGlennon
But with ICE, there's no fear of battery degradation, which is what's at the root of this range anxiety behavior.

Careful! You're going to bring out the set of people who bizarrely claim that ICE cars get less fuel efficient with time (which is not true with modern vehicles in good operating condition).

I have a 23 June 2019 SR+ w/ FSD. I’ve charged to 100% 14 times at least that’s what TeslaFi says when I signed up at 400 miles in or so, I’m at 12,566mi now. I’m usually charging to 70 or 80% (usually 80% the last couple months) and I usually have rated miles of 228-232mi at 100% it says. I did charge to 100% the other day because I was curious while reading this thread, I actually dropped in miles! Ha too much fun. Feel free to see some screen shots I just snagged for this.

Attachments

• 12D5D096-DF6E-4314-8B4C-DC441DC522E4.png
    12D5D096-DF6E-4314-8B4C-DC441DC522E4.png
    427 KB · Views: 65
  • EEC3021C-B49F-4B01-A3BC-1EB1C5110103.png
    EEC3021C-B49F-4B01-A3BC-1EB1C5110103.png
    306.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 1A4D1CC0-B11E-431B-97A7-9A765F8D3C25.png
    1A4D1CC0-B11E-431B-97A7-9A765F8D3C25.png
    427 KB · Views: 56
  • 5E73DE72-5025-4AEF-A41D-F5C80B81F7A0.png
    5E73DE72-5025-4AEF-A41D-F5C80B81F7A0.png
    298 KB · Views: 67
  • F0FEBA2A-086A-4D29-BDB7-E76F0723D9F2.png
    F0FEBA2A-086A-4D29-BDB7-E76F0723D9F2.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: TomB985

You are missing 8%. You are getting what SR owners should get, but you paid $1500 extra, that's not right. I wish Tesla was more transparent about what they did.

You are missing 8%. You are getting what SR owners should get, but you paid $1500 extra, that's not right. I wish Tesla was more transparent about what they did.

He'd probably have ~195 rated miles with an SR though! So he's a bit better off for the extra $1500 spent. Sucks to lose 8-10% though.

Still searching for answers from SR (not SR+) owners on what their charging/discharge constant is. Based on EPA data it should be higher than the SR+ (just because of how the EPA test turned out...), but the one report I've seen suggests it is the same as the SR+ (as you would expect).

Status
Not open for further replies.