Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ MY21 delivery wait times in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were you going by the "8-12 weeks" estimate, or did your SA actually say "end of January"?

Realistically I'd expect mid-Feb to late March based on past quarters, unless they know something new about production/shipping changes - but that's unlikely.

I actually asked via their Chat on the website. They expect delivery in the end of Jan, early Feb. But if production starts in Jan it means Feb-Mar...? it will be 15-18 weeks in this case

Where 8-12 weeks come then from?:)

I actually asked via their Chat on the website. They expect delivery in the end of Jan, early Feb. But if production starts in Jan it means Feb-Mar...? it will be 15-18 weeks in this case

Where 8-12 weeks come then from?:)
Well, going by this quarter (Oct-Dec) - cars were built from early October to around 1-2 November. I think the first ship arrived in the second week of November, and I don't know if anyone got a delivery before mid-November? There are still folks waiting for deliveries with estimates up to end of December.

I've only been obsessively reading the forums since I ordered on 8 November (too late for this quarter, was already 8-12 week estimate then), but as far as I am aware the same schedule has been the case for the last few quarters at least. TBH they really should just say "Early 2022" until the car is built.

Also at the start of Feb next year is Chinese New Year where everything shuts down for a week as people go back to their families, if your car isn't on a ship before then that'll likely affect things as well.

I hope you're right, I'd love to get my car in Jan, but unless something changes and it gets built in December I don't see that logistically being possible.

Well, going by this quarter (Oct-Dec) - cars were built from early October to around 1-2 November. I think the first ship arrived in the second week of November, and I don't know if anyone got a delivery before mid-November? There are still folks waiting for deliveries with estimates up to end of December.

I've only been obsessively reading the forums since I ordered on 8 November (too late for this quarter, was already 8-12 week estimate then), but as far as I am aware the same schedule has been the case for the last few quarters at least. TBH they really should just say "Early 2022" until the car is built.

Also at the start of Feb next year is Chinese New Year where everything shuts down for a week as people go back to their families, if your car isn't on a ship before then that'll likely affect things as well.

I hope you're right, I'd love to get my car in Jan, but unless something changes and it gets built in December I don't see that logistically being possible.

answer from Tesla

"I'm not sure of the production schedule, but by looking at your account I can see everything is up to date and ready to go once you get your vehicle is arriving for delivery which is estimated for 8-12 weeks still"

Bound to be cancellations, when one comes in stock order it and you can have it in Dec
I asked my SA about this, and was advised that if the cancellation matches your exact order, and same state, you'll automatically be matched to it.

This part wasn't from them, but my guess is this doesn't happen for the unicorn models because the spec of those doesn't match what you get if you order right now (even if you select the same options) - so there's no matching queue for those. When I had a peek at the data blob the inventory service fetches, it seemed to indicate this - there were references to a "matching queue" and the unicorn listings had a "match type" of "manual".

Still, can't hurt to keep an eye on existing inventory in case some other car does end up manually listed and not matched.

Shipping time Shanghai to Sydney can be as low as 2 wks, so if everything goes perfect late Jan is possible, but I think more realistically from mid-Feb is more likely.

I'm sure Tesla Australia would prefer to have deliveries spread out.

This part wasn't from them, but my guess is this doesn't happen for the unicorn models because the spec of those doesn't match what you get if you order right now (even if you select the same options) - so there's no matching queue for those. When I had a peek at the data blob the inventory service fetches, it seemed to indicate this - there were references to a "matching queue" and the unicorn listings had a "match type" of "manual".
There's currently an M3P in inventory in WA, I had a look at the data for that which was interesting.. it _is_ in the "match queue" ("IsAvailableForMatch: true" "IsInMatchQueue: true"), and has a "match type" of "auto". I guess there's nobody else waiting for a black M3P in WA with the white interior right now which is why it didn't get matched to anyone?

(Some other fun bits of data - it was built on 15 October, has 7km on the odo, and an ETA of 1 Jan 2022)

Just curious (I've got a while to wait yet) - at the point you get the delivery SMS do you have to have already paid the Final Invoice, or does that just have to be paid before the pickup day?

(I'm more wondering if this batch of delivery notifications going out will lead to some last minute cancellations.. hehe)

Just curious (I've got a while to wait yet) - at the point you get the delivery SMS do you have to have already paid the Final Invoice, or does that just have to be paid before the pickup day?

(I'm more wondering if this batch of delivery notifications going out will lead to some last minute cancellations.. hehe)
To be Paid before the delivery date
I will arrange mine soon

Reactions: MarcinS

I'm guessing the final invoice needs to be paid before delivery, and you would get the invoice when VIN matched.
sadly no VIN matched yet

For Mulgrave. Check in at the counter, they will then provide you with a folder containing your VicRoads rego before ushering you to the back of the warehouse. In there, they will locate your car and leave you alone to spend as much ‘nice to see you!’ time as possible. Drive out when the excitement dies down.

Reactions: Victor T