Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ showing 166 miles at 80% charge.. is that right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this thread has wrong definitions and determination of battery degradation. it has factually wrong information about gauges on ICE vehicles. it has assumptions and really bad analogies
This post makes a series of unsubstantiated claims in order to crap all over the thread. Not withstanding the fact that most threads on this site deserve to be crapped on, this post has little or no merit.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This post makes a series of unsubstantiated claims in order to crap all over the thread. Not withstanding the fact that most threads on this site deserve to be crapped on, this post has little or no merit.
1st, this post is my favorite of the thread. thank you.

2nd, okay, let me substantiate..... all modern ICE vehicles can show DTE, distance to empty, in miles and kilometers. all of them. even most ICE motorcycles.

This is a real problem with EVs. Not only less range but false mileage, I lose about 29 miles per day from where I start.
leave home with 189 miles, drive to work and back 120 miles, get home with 40ish miles.

This is really easy to do and it really doesn't have anything to do with EVs. You just never saw it or cared about it in an ICE.

What speeds are you going?

Don't think that speed matters in a ICE? Then what's the hypermile culture about?

I don't care if it's "quite normal", IMO a 17% loss at 13,644 miles is quite bullsh!t... When they advertise an EV, they should advertise it with real world, perhaps, worst case scenario, range numbers, so people aren't duped into thinking they will get anywhere near the advertised range.. I didn't get 240 when it was new. I pity the folks that bought a straight SR, they're likely only getting 180 miles of range at 100% charge.
They don't advertise ICE vehicles this way.

I don’t! I just know the phone just kind of sucks when it gets older. I don’t even know what 86% health is - except that it is apparently when Apple decides a replacement battery is required (service required). If 86% were 86% that would not be the case! Unfortunately 86% does not seem to be 86%.

kWh is super intuitive - just like gallons would be.

No need to make it complicated!
The problem is that kWh doesn't equal miles. The newer owners with huge amounts of range anxiety and Excel spreadsheets are seeing an EV as a Datamine extravaganza.
I know that percent is just about as close, but to a lot of people, percents are somewhat ambiguous as well as (regrettably) there are a lot of people that really don't understand them.

I kind of wish that there was just a 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full indicator. It would calm so many people down.

1st, this post is my favorite of the thread. thank you.

2nd, okay, let me substantiate..... all modern ICE vehicles can show DTE, distance to empty, in miles and kilometers. all of them. even most ICE motorcycles.
I believe that technically it is "MANY" ICE vehicles can show an "ESTIMATED" distance to empty.

Everyone knew that the car's estimate was an estimate, For some reason they expect an EVs to be fact.

I'd like to contribute my own anecdotal experience here even though this thread may have wandered slightly off-topic.

Many years ago my wife and I drove a Pontiac Grand Am that was nearly 20 years old and whose gas gauge was peculiarly dysfunctional... it would only go down to about 25%. When the gas gauge showed 25%, it was empty.

One day we we're driving with the gauge very close to that 25% and I decided to press on, passing a gas station (that I didn't like) and expecting to make it to another gas station a few miles ahead.

Well I was wrong... we stalled, and I spent hours walking on a hot day back and forth to a gas station TWO TIMES because the car wouldn't start after the first pour from a red plastic gas can. As it turned out, running dry had burned out the fuel pump. A tow, a few rides from friends, a day of waiting, a mechanic, and $400 made everything right again. Lesson learned.

Fast forward to today... a few months into owning my Model 3 and upon heading back home from a neighboring city, the navigation pegged me as arriving at the Supercharger at -1%. It was a bad feeling... especially knowing that I couldn't simply walk to a gas station and fill up a can. Having been educated by these forums, I knew to shut off the A/C and slow down, so I did that.

Slowly but surely, the navigation battery estimate at arrival crept up to 0%, and then 1%... and I actually arrived at the Supercharger with the stated 1% remaining.

That whole situation could have been avoided had I paid more attention to my driving that day and actually considered how much energy I needed to get home. Lesson learned. AND range anxiety totally gone.

Fast forward to today... a few months into owning my Model 3 and upon heading back home from a neighboring city, the navigation pegged me as arriving at the Supercharger at -1%. It was a bad feeling... especially knowing that I couldn't simply walk to a gas station and fill up a can. Having been educated by these forums, I knew to shut off the A/C and slow down, so I did that.

Slowly but surely, the navigation battery estimate at arrival crept up to 0%, and then 1%... and I actually arrived at the Supercharger with the stated 1% remaining.

That whole situation could have been avoided had I paid more attention to my driving that day and actually considered how much energy I needed to get home. Lesson learned. AND range anxiety totally gone.

If I'm not mistaken, it had probably be showing "Slow down to reach your destination" warnings which I thought start when the car is t 5-10% anticipated charge at your destination.

The A/C doesn't really do much, but slowing down does a huge amount, after all, for about ever 5 mph above 65, you decrease the range by 10%.

Happened to us this weekend, the car was showing 1-2% arriving home, but we knew the roads and while we were going over mountains, we weren't going to be doing 70 mph and we arrived home (along with a quick detour) at over 15%.

The navigation system is quite conservative. When it says it will get you there, it will.

Had another situation a few years ago where the car would not go a path that we've been numerous times. Talked to another family at a Supercharger and they said the same thing. Nothing I could do would get us on that track.
After checking Plugshare.com we found out that the Supercharger was out of service.

Now I understand what's being said. 234Wh/mile is always 234Wh/mile.

However, the "miles remaining" guessometer doesn't show remaining *rated* miles, does it? I was under the impression that its guess was based on recent consumption, weather, elevation, etc.
The guess-o-meter showing remaining miles estimated from recent consumption is in the energy screen.

The remaining miles shown at the top of the screen is rated miles (basically a higher resolution of the percentage display) that does not change based on recent consumption.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
The guess-o-meter showing remaining miles estimated from recent consumption is in the energy screen.

Yes, although the GOM in the energy screen uses a lot more than recent consumption data. It knows your fixed consumptions (like AC), the upcoming topography, your driving speed relative to the upcoming speed limits and it has wind data. It is crazy accurate.

All the driver has to do is choose the destination, then listen to the car if it tells you to slow down or stop for extra charge.

Last edited:
A couple more thoughts on this...

First, when doing a comparison between EPA mpg and range in ICE vs. Electric vehicles it is important to understand how a small difference in energy usage impacts it.

In an ICE vehicle you have a massive gas tank with an insane amount of energy. Driving slightly more aggressive is going to have a much smaller impact on your overall range. In an electric car you have a relatively small amount of energy available (roughly 2.3-2.5 gallons worth of electricity). So any range killing conditions will have a much more dramatic impact on total range.

Regarding research and shopping - I think this is where the Tesla service center folks need to be very clear with people. Looking at maximum range isn't particularly useful. A prospective buyer should consider their normal daily commute and I would say purchase a car with a range that is nearly double that. For example if you drive 150 miles daily I don't think I'd recommend anything but a 300+ mile range vehicle. The reasons, as others have mentioned are because: A) real world range can vary wildly and B) battery degradation is a real thing.

One point many people probably don't consider is that trying to use the maximum capacity of your battery will degrade your battery faster, and perpetuate the problem. The max range isn't meant to be a daily commute number. In that case you'll be charging your battery to 100% (not great for it) and discharging it (also not great for it) and putting a lot more full charge cycles on it (also not great).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
A couple more thoughts on this...

First, when doing a comparison between EPA mpg and range in ICE vs. Electric vehicles it is important to understand how a small difference in energy usage impacts it.

In an ICE vehicle you have a massive gas tank with an insane amount of energy. Driving slightly more aggressive is going to have a much smaller impact on your overall range. In an electric car you have a relatively small amount of energy available (roughly 2.3-2.5 gallons worth of electricity). So any range killing conditions will have a much more dramatic impact on total range.

Don't assume, go look at the numbers, this really isn't the case. In most cases, the ranges between the different vehicles are similar.

And while I was about to say that the energies between the two or the same, while the used energies are near the same, the available energies indeed favor the ICE considerably.

The problem is that the ICE is only good at converting less than 20% of the energy into something useful.

Heck in an ICE, your range just naturally decreases, and you don't think about it. Ever hear of a thing called a tune-up?

In an ICE you have years of experience and don't think about the efficiency or range. In an EV it's something new to YOU and you worry about it.
I've been driving an EV for 8 years now. I don't think about it. And luckily, I don't forget about oil changes and tune-ups anymore either.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life