Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ to LR/Performance 3/Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 SR+ built in late 2019. All in all, amazing vehicle. Had a few minor issues all but one solved by sending out a tech. I had it in for work recently and had a Model X loaner. While it's too large for my needs I quickly got addicted to the additional range and performance. Which brings me to my dilemma. Do I get a Model 3 Performance or LR then buy Performance Boost or hold out for the refresh. I really like the Y as well. New is attractive so is used in certain conditions where FSD is included. I've given serious thought to the Model S but it's slightly longer than I like. I really like the size of the 3 and for that matter the Y.

I'd appreciate any input from Model 3/Y owners that have had either or both vehicles and to which they prefer and why.

@George75 Go for test drives! That's the best way. For example I really didn't like the MYLR when I drove one. The Model 3 drove much better, in my opinion (M3LR or M3P both). I would not have guessed how different the 3 and Y felt or sounded, had I not driven them both. They look really similar after all, and the spec numbers aren't that drastically different. On the upside, the Model Y seemed much roomier inside than I expected. Bigger inside than I expected. It's a good crossover, but it didn't give me the driving satisfaction of the Model 3.

I recently had an M3LR+AB loaner (AB meaning Acceleration Boost). Even though I own an M3P, I'd be perfectly happy with the M3LR+AB acceleration. Could I tell the difference at low speeds? Yes, but it wasn't a big difference to me. However, M3LR doesn't have Track Mode and that is very important to me, so I'm still glad I got the M3P.

Whether a refreshed Model 3 drivetrain is worth waiting for, or when it will come, is anyone's guess. I hope that Tesla gives the Model 3 the top end of the new Model S someday. I've no need for more speed, but I wouldn't turn it down either. :) (I'm not even talking about the full Plaid drivetrain. The regular Palladium Model S apparently has much more top end than any Model 3.)

Thanks for the responses. I think waiting another couple of quarters might be the smartest move. I'm aiming for a Model 3 LR and will go for the acceleration boot too. I want to get he best balance of speed and range. I wish performance was still available with the regular 18" wheels. Now to decide on color interior and exterior.