Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR vs. SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All! My wife and I just ordered our first Tesla. The Tesla store talked obviously about the SR+ but also mentioned an SR downgrade model. We understand the no AP (the car is for my wife and she does not like AP at all, the store is going to put in an SR+ overnight close to delivery to try the AP again) lower range of 220 miles, and the led fog lights going away.

That said... The price and a few other options are still up in the air and they were a bit wishy-washy on. Immersive Sound and Heated Seats. Does anyone have further clarification on if you lose these features or anything else that might have been left off? Also, one guy says $35,400 and another said $35,000.

We can still make the choice on SR vs SR+ until right before delivery as the service center will be doing the downgrade if chosen (we ordered an SR+)

You lose immersive sound as an option in the menu.
Believe same speakers as SR+ ; so is just a sound processing type loss, kind of like losing Dolby Digital with otherwise the same stereo.

I believe you still get the front heated seats. (SR+ does not have rear heated seats either)

Everything else is as you mention: no AP or cruise control of any kind, no foglights, less range

The AP even if you never use the auto steer function to me is worth a couple grand.
Not sure exact cost, you do have to add $1200 dest fee and any paint color upgrades if not ordering white.

You lose immersive sound as an option in the menu.
Believe same speakers as SR+

I believe you still get the front heated seats.

Everything else is as you mention: no AP or cruise control of any kind, no foglights, less range

The AP even if you never use the auto steer function to me is worth a couple grand.

SR basic cruise control but not TACC.

I have foglights and immersive sound as an option in the menu, but not sure if it makes a difference with pillar speakers etc disabled

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
As an SR+ owner I can't tell the difference between immersive sound on or not - but, personally, I think even if you're not using AP, having the TACC vs regular cruise control is a HUGE difference. Both for highway driving and for stop and go city driving. It just helps keep the drive much more stress free and you feel less tired at the end of it.

Reactions: JasonR67
As an SR+ owner I can't tell the difference between immersive sound on or not - but, personally, I think even if you're not using AP, having the TACC vs regular cruise control is a HUGE difference. Both for highway driving and for stop and go city driving. It just helps keep the drive much more stress free and you feel less tired at the end of it.

Stress free, except for the phantom braking anomalies that can happen on TACC, when you drive under overpasses, shadows, etc... I had the 2 week free trial, back in May, and by the end of it I was Very Happy Not to have spent any extra money (very significant $$$) for AP or FSD.

Reactions: afadeev
Stress free, except for the phantom braking anomalies that can happen on TACC, when you drive under overpasses, shadows, etc... I had the 2 week free trial, back in May, and by the end of it I was Very Happy Not to have spent any extra money (very significant $$$) for AP or FSD.

This was my wife's issue as well. She used it for a short time and felt it would randomly slam on the brakes as shadows from semi's getting over and overpasses as well. It is certainly a cool feature, but for her an her 6 miles a day commute she didn't find it justifiable to spend $4,500 on that. The range is really the only thing that is keeping her looking at SR+ as we live in the Midwest so colder climates affecting range.

Hi All! My wife and I just ordered our first Tesla. ....the car is for my wife and she does not like AP at all

I live here in Auburn, CA:
  1. Standard Range here and is my wife's car
  2. Don't need immersive sound (stock stereo is actually very, very nice)
  3. Don't needed heated back seats
  4. Don't need full auto Pilot, both wife & I don't use it, don't trust it, old school prefer to drive
    1. Please note we use the shi* outta cruise control ;)
  5. Don't need live traffic maps
    1. If you commute everyday, it might be helpful, but we like WAZE ap
  6. 90% of our driving is in the great region, trips to Tahoe & Bay Area
For the extra money, just wasn't worth it for us. Maybe cause we're in our 50's....not sure. But, took all that $$$ we didn't use and got the whole car tinted (HUGE DIFFERENCE), new wheels & Tires, some minor DIY upgrades and simply could not be happier with this car. It's such a dream. Still impressed 6 months later.

Hope this helps

Reactions: eevee-fan
The regular AP improved for me at least in a large way since Software 10.0
I used to find it jerky when decelerating, not applying brakes early enough when upcoming traffic was slowed, was a bit slow accelerating out of traffic, took turns a bit too aggressive, rode centered but a little close to the right lane at times when there was not much room, etc...
All of that saw a big improvement to me with 10.0 software update so if you test drove the AP function prior to that it is worth another look.

Some phantom braking at overpasses and similar is still an issue that I don't think the software addressed but have confidence future free OTA updates will.

SR+ doesn't have fog lights, live traffic/satellite map, or rear heated seats anyway, so downgrade to SR mostly is just losing TACC and 30 miles of range. I was also told by my SA that I can downgrade the car to SR so MSRP is 35000, then if I want I can buy AP for 3000, but I cannot do a SR+ minus AP, that is maintaining the 250 miles range but without AP, because that's what I initially wanted, at a cost of $36,500.

SR+ doesn't have fog lights, live traffic/satellite map, or rear heated seats anyway, so downgrade to SR mostly is just losing TACC and 30 miles of range. I was also told by my SA that I can downgrade the car to SR so MSRP is 35000, then if I want I can buy AP for 3000, but I cannot do a SR+ minus AP, that is maintaining the 250 miles range but without AP, because that's what I initially wanted, at a cost of $36,500.

Correct you get more choices with SR then upgrading.

Another factor re: ~ 30 miles of range is that you safely charge the SR to 100% since it's a software locked/protected SR+ battery pack. So it's only a concern for trips

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar

Mine does. 5/19 builds and earlier have fogs

• Informative
Reactions: Mk30 and vickh
There's a lot of mis information and bad examples. Here's a counter example:

I have a base SR w/AP
-never had phantom breaking and I drive 140+ miles a day RT.

-The SR and SR+ both have the same sound system. Tesla disconnected the door triangle tweeters, the rear deck speakers, and removed the rear sub. You can add a sub and rewire the other speakers. I did it...and holy **** it was worth the $250 I spent and 8hrs.

-some Sr people have immersive sound, some don't, along with fog lights, ya just roll the dice with that one.

-also...you can call later on to add the SR+ package back to your car it's going to be $4500.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan and vickh
I think even if you're not using AP, having the TACC vs regular cruise control is a HUGE difference. Both for highway driving and for stop and go city driving. It just helps keep the drive much more stress free and you feel less tired at the end of it.
I strongly agree.

To the OP: no matter what your wife says about Tesla AutoPilot, get the SR+ for the TACC and over time you both will discover how useful Auto Steer is!