TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3: SR+ w/ FSD vs LR

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Macabe13, May 20, 2019.

1. Macabe13

Macabe13 Member

So been saving for a while and it’s finally time to purchase my first Tesla.

Basically I can comfortably purchase a SR+ with FSD or a LR without FSD (just the basic autopilot)... But both makes it a little tight. Although still doable.

If you had to choose one of the two options which would you lean towards? Or is this a situation where I should skip a vacation or two and get both?

Here’s some info about my commute/ day-to-day to provide a potentially more objective lens:

Currently not driving to work but may be changing jobs soon which would require a 60-80 mile commute per day (depending on traffic) in the Bay Area.

Would plan on doing one to two trips per year with extended driving (LA, Vegas, Portland).

Am coming from an pretty middle of the pack ICE vehicle and have only test driven an SR+

Thanks for any and all feedback and let me know if you’d like more info :)

2. acpTLA

acpTLA Member

I will take bigger battery which you can not upgrade. All FSD, autopilot can upgrade later. it is just money.

• Like x 3
  3. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

I have the SR Plus with FSD and regret not buying the long range especially in Minnesota.

4. TMThree

TMThree Member

There isn't a use case for FSD at this time. Go for LR

• Like x 1
  5. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

if you plan to hold for a long time the only correct answer is to get both and make sacrifices elsewhere.

Regret is a bitch.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. Lostb0y

Lostb0y Member

7. verystandard

verystandard Member

#7 verystandard, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Back at March I've been struggling of either to get SR/SR+ with AP/MR/or +4000CAD and get LR.

I decided I don't drive that far and don't go roadtrip and the day I decide to get the MR Tesla pull that off the shelves. So at the end I reluctantly chose to go for SR+ with AP (I feels SR is more than enough for me but more to that story later), and therefore I paid extra $4000CAD for autopilot (I'm new to autopilot's concept and very intrigued with it, figured if I don't buy it now the price will goes up as Tesla mentioned if I don't get autopilot now the price will increase to $5300CAD after delivery)

Sure enough, after delivery I figured the basic autopilot isn't really something I want (I think I'm dreaming of FSD is autopilot) and the best thing is, I've notice that even after delivery, there is a thing call autopilot demo and within that demo period guys can get the autopilot for cheap ($3000CAD). That surely piXXed me off.

Morale of the story is:

1. Try the FSD functions before you buy, make sure this is something you want, don't listen to hype or feels FSD is so great straightly by watching youtube, experience it yourself
    2. Don't pressure by "oh I'm gonna get the FSD now because after delivery the price will only go up from here!". although I can't guarantee the price will go down from here but one thing for sure is that after delivery you can't upgrade the battery from SR+ to LR (Except swap the car)
    3. Range anxiety is real, even you want to only use it inside the city, charging speed is one of the factors too
    4. LR got premium interior with excellent speakers, garage door, heated seats, internet among the extra large battery
    5. Do you have chargers at home/nearby that you can charge everyday/night? If you don't LR should be your best choice.

8. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

I’d get the long range and basic autopilot. Both are very useful now.

9. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

The difference in batteries just means that you may have to stop a little bit more on trips. In CA, it shouldn't be a big deal for the trips that you mention.
    I've got a LR RWD and just got back from a 1,000 mile trip. I skipped over half of the Superchargers along the way and used FSD the entire way. Quite often I found myself startled as the car started turning off the Interstate because I wasn't even thinking about where I was, that was the car's job.

10. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

The LR RWD at $45,900 with AP is an amazing deal. Skip FSD. You can always get it later. It’s not that great in my opinion.

11. acpTLA

acpTLA Member

Just found out the FSD is the same price before and after your delivery - My account shows 6K , it was 8K. So, it is not rush to get FSD. there is not incentive.

• Helpful x 1
  12. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

LR. I find it interesting how somehow you can find more money after you've bought the Tesla for "upgrades" that you could never afford at the time of purchase....

• Like x 1
  13. Rojer Lockless

They changed it today without telling anyone.

• Like x 1
  14. acpTLA

acpTLA Member

doing extra job - or you save gas money after you have tesla. haha :)

• Like x 1
  15. Macabe13

Macabe13 Member

First off thank you everyone for the input... Super helpful.
    Yeah I did just notice that the price under the FSD tab no longer says $8K after delivery... Does this just mean you can upgrade whenever, or at least until they change price structuring, for $6K or might there be the chance that it's a one-time thing and if you dont do it now you either won't be able to or have to wait until they restructure prices (writing it out the latter sounds stupid bc why wouldn't they want to make more money, esp if the car is just software limited, but I'll just leave it up there anyway)?

16. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Get the LR since you can't easily update the battery. FSD isn't out; and who's to say in a year+ you can't afford the software? Get something that is real now; battery LR.

• Like x 1
  17. SigNC

SigNC Member

18. GenSao

GenSao Member

Get the LR-RWD off the menu (OTM) without FSD for $45,900. Add FSD later when/if there is a sale.

Tesla Model 3 Base Price History.png
    See chart info here. Chart shows trims available online. OTM availability and pricing in data for graph.

• Like x 1
  19. RamblinWrecked

I'll be the one with the unpopular opinion and suggest the SR+ w/ FSD.

I was in a similar place and decided to go this way and after 2 months and ~3,000 miles, including a 1,000+ mile road trip, I have no regrets. The smaller battery hasn't been an issue at all (daily driving or on the trip) and the FSD is what sets Tesla apart from other cars (in my opinion). Sure, it's not "feature complete" yet but I see NoA as worth the price of admission and the promise of more features is just a bonus. If the 6k upgrade price stays true then that's obviously something to consider - but I wouldn't count on that being there in a few weeks and months, especially when more features start rolling out. I'd lock in the FSD at the lowest price.

That was my rationale at least...honestly can't go wrong either way. Good luck!

• Helpful x 1
  20. AltLogic

AltLogic Member

Any vehicle purchase is a compromise. I have purchased vehicles using my 90% rule. Get a vehicle that works best 90% of the time. Deal with the shortcomings or rent for the other 10%. It seems like you will use the features currently available with FSD much more than extra range.