Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SRP 2020 hit in a parking lot

Do I file a claim?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two nights ago one guy hit my front bumper while taking his car out from his spot. I was inside a grocery store while this happened. He waited for me until I came out and shared all the insurance details but I am still not sure whether to file a claim or no. Please post your suggestions. I have upload a pic to see the damage. No issues observed so far with the autopilot, sensors. I can see light scratches, a dent.

Attachments

• 6864792B-D618-46BC-AC12-AF545607F5BA.jpeg
    6864792B-D618-46BC-AC12-AF545607F5BA.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 83
As long as you are not at fault, why not file a claim? That way, you are protected just in case there is more damage than meets the eye.

Alternatively, you could stop by a Tesla certified body shop and get a written estimate to have the damage fixed. If it is a relatively minor repair, you could give the other guy the option of paying out of pocket. But that would really be for his benefit, not yours. Keep in mind some damage is not detected until the repair is underway and they are working on the car.

He gave you his insurance which is awesome. But will he change his story when. The claim comes through. Who knows. You don’t mention having Sentry of his car causing the damage or video of him admitting fault so it’s his word against yours. He was honest enough to stick around, amazing, but when a $2-3000 claim come through who knows.

I also wouldn’t bother with the pain and wasted time on a repair. Tesla mobile service will come out and swap pre painted panels at your home or work. More expensive but way more convenient and insurance. Not yours, should be paying for it.

Except for the dent, the rest should buff out but your call.

Report to your insurance ASAP. The longer it takes for you to submit a claim, the higher the chances it will go against you, regardless if you are not at fault even in this situation.

Make sure to save a copy of the video from sentry mode, if you haven't done so yet.

Two nights ago one guy hit my front bumper while taking his car out from his spot. I was inside a grocery store while this happened. He waited for me until I came out and shared all the insurance details but I am still not sure whether to file a claim or no. Please post your suggestions. I have upload a pic to see the damage. No issues observed so far with the autopilot, sensors. I can see light scratches, a dent.

Props to the guy for waiting for you and exchanging insurance details. many low-life types would have just have left and denyed it. Unfortunately that it probably going to need a pair repair and removal/refitting of the front fender PU. I would have it repaired properly - no reason not to and your insurer would pursue a claim against the at-fault party (at least in the UK).

Regards,
Alex