Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SRP on order over 1 month, would like to start a sticky thread for "needed accessories"

Do you recommend a protective coating to be applied to the paint? If so which one?

• Yes

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Depends on paint color

• Depends on geographical location

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

While anxiously waiting for my Model 3 SRP, I'm scouring forums looking for accessories that help to enhance the ownership experience.

Ideally, if existing owners would post their thoughts on the Top 5 "needed" accessories, as well as the top 3 "nice to have accessories", perhaps these could get added as sticky threads to the forum.

I've been hearing a lot about ceramic coatings (and similar) for the exterior, but don't know how much of that is snake oil vs a reliable product. I wouldn't be surprised if there are companies targeting Tesla owners with BS products.

Do any of you have a protective paint coating applied? Would you recommend it?

What about tinted windows? This is something I would seriously consider since I've had skin cancer on my ear.

Thanks

My car is 1.5yrs old with 15k miles. Never had any coatings, just a wash monthly or so and about 3 waxes so far with $4 walmart turtle wax. I have a few tiny rock chips on the bumper, but the car has held up just fine. That said, if you live in an area with a lot of dirt roads, etc, some type of wrap for the front of the car may be worth considering if it's not super expensive.

On the other hand I would definitely invest in window tint. Makes the car so much more comfortable to drive, and also protects the seats from UV. I paid around $320 for ceramic tint all around. Decided not to do the windshield since I just throw up a visor when I park outside anyway.

Attachments

• 20200203_133026.jpg
    20200203_133026.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 55
The list of things I did immediately for my SR+:

Floor mats -- it doesn't come with them
Wireless charger for phones - I went with Taptes as it was affordable and works great
Tire center cap kit -- removed the aero covers - buy a cap kit on Amazon for $15 vs. $50 at Tesla
Tinted windows

I did some other stuff that was less essential:

RPMTesla covers for the piano black bits on the center console
Abstract Ocean puddle lights with projector "3"
Tempered glass screen protector

The list of things I did immediately for my SR+:

Floor mats -- it doesn't come with them
Wireless charger for phones - I went with Taptes as it was affordable and works great
Tire center cap kit -- removed the aero covers - buy a cap kit on Amazon for $15 vs. $50 at Tesla
Tinted windows

I did some other stuff that was less essential:

RPMTesla covers for the piano black bits on the center console
Abstract Ocean puddle lights with projector "3"
Tempered glass screen protector

Thanks

Why did you remove the aero covers, they help reduce wind resistance. Cosmetics?
Where did you have your windows tinted?

The one thing I don't like about the wireless chargers is if your phone is laying on them it is always charging.
I only charge up to 80-90%, as much as possible. Can the wireless charger be disabled even when the phone
is laying on it?

Thanks

Why did you remove the aero covers, they help reduce wind resistance. Cosmetics?
Where did you have your windows tinted?

The one thing I don't like about the wireless chargers is if your phone is laying on them it is always charging.
I only charge up to 80-90%, as much as possible. Can the wireless charger be disabled even when the phone
is laying on it?
I removed the caps for aesthetic purposes. The wheels underneath are pretty nice looking. The wireless charger doesn't have that function. I usually replace my phone every 1-2 years so I'm not too concerned about the battery lasting. I went to a local tint shop near my house that I've been going to for years

How much did that run you? I'm interested.
They are pricey but well worth it - they build audiophile class systems. If you are ever in the Orange County area, plan on talking to Rick or Cliff - just give them a call and they will give you a demo. Or if in Irvine (not far from the airport) during the day (or Brea on the weekends), hit me up and I will give you a listen.