Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Staggered Tire Size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I've ran through all the thread on my tires and was told I need to change them out ASAP. I figured this was a good time to change my wheels too and decided to go with 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back.

The company recommendeds a 255/45R19 in the front and 275/45R19 in the back for Tires. The problem is I can't find any tires that are in stock that come in both those sizes in my price range. Are there any other options? I don't want to spend 1400 for SuperSports from TireRack, lol.

The second number is not a width number. It's a ratio that measures how tall of sidewalls you have.

My advice is if you do not know anything about tires/wheels, don't mess with it too much.

A 255/45/19 on a 19x8.5 looks ridiculous, that's pretty fat. Same with the 275/40/19 on a 19x9.5

Use Tire Size Calculator to make sure you're not changing your Rev/miles and overall circumference too much from stock 19"s.

Id stay away from the company that recommended you that tire size. LOL Stock tires on 19s are 235/40/19. 255/45/19 are way TOO tall. You're increasing your overall diameter by over 6%. Ideally, you want to stay as close to stock so at 19x8.5, I'd stick with 235/40/19 and for 19x9.5, you can go with 265/35/19. That will give you the same diameter.

Hey everyone,

I've ran through all the thread on my tires and was told I need to change them out ASAP. I figured this was a good time to change my wheels too and decided to go with 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the back.

The company recommendeds a 255/45R19 in the front and 275/45R19 in the back for Tires. The problem is I can't find any tires that are in stock that come in both those sizes in my price range. Are there any other options? I don't want to spend 1400 for SuperSports from TireRack, lol.

Whoever this company is recommending these tires for your car got it all wrong. There's no way 275/45/19 will work on our cars... that's almost 10% larger in diameter. Generally speaking you want to keep the overall circumference +/- no more than 2% difference from stock.

I recommend 19x8.5 with 245/40/19 tires and 19x.9.5 with 265/35/19 tires if you must run that setup.

OP should seek advice elsewhere then that vendor as others have mentioned.... many things to consider if really looking for aftermarket wheels and tires together.

What people have been referring is the diameter of the tire (aka height, and obviously proportional to rolling circumference) needs to be within expected specs of cars drivetrain / ECU within a range of error. This is more important with AWD vehicles that front and rear not so much different. Moreover, there is the appearance factor...like not having smaller looking tires (diameter or height) in the rear than in the front (unless that is intended to go with the mullet hairdo ;) ).

In general for the model 3 sizes...the same diameter size tire would occur with a 40mm difference (235---> 275) in width while downsizing the width ratio by 5% (40-->35) to hover around a diameter of 26.5in (standard for model 3) and otherwise not going much out of 26 to 27in diameter size and not above 0.5" difference b/w front vs rear for AWD.

BUT since you are looking for new wheel / tire combo... other than the look and cost of the wheels, you should also seriously take into consideration:
-appropriate wheel width size for tire sizes being considered
-appropriate offset of the wheels
-as well as considering changing wheel width size upsizing / downsizing wheel diameter to 20s or 18s...there may be more options for tire sizes and desired effect.

Not to forget the obvious... wheel width change per inch (8.5 --> 9.5) is equivalent to 25mm in change of tire width for the same look of how the tire bulges out from the wheel lip (bulge is not desirable nor is excessive wheel lip, although each has their place along with mullets).

In general, if you are sticking to these size 19in wheels, would agree with pg62's recs above as best compromise ...should be using 235/40 and going slightly smaller in rear with 265/35 (or maybe 245/40 and 275/35)... these are good but not great looking options when all things are considered (also no clue about the offset since you did not mention further wheel details). With these wheel/tire sizes, the tire placement on the wheel width will look similar and it will be within the error range in overall tire diameter between front and rear.

If you do 245/40/19 front and 265/35/19 rear, your rear tires will be about half inch smaller than the front... "mullet compatible" look will be more obvious.

There are many options for wheels/tires combos for the model 3 (just search forum here), and if really wanting nice combo then pay attention to the details above and pics in posts from your search...all your choice, but make sure you get out of it what you want. The tire/wheel salesperson is likely not very familiar with model 3 and just trying to close the sale if truly had recommended those sizes (ie 275/45/19).

Happy shopping...(sorry for long post, just a little OCD)

One last note - if you stagger the front/back sizes then you'll be unable to rotate your tires front-to-back, which helps equalize tread wear and get best life out of the tires.

If the tire's tread design is unidirectional (usually V-shaped), then you would also be unable to rotate your tires at all without removing the tires from the rims to reverse them, because you can't swap right-to-left without the tread pattern pointing the wrong direction.

If you use the same size tire front and back, you're free to rotate the tires front-to-back without removing them from the rims, like a sane person. Saves money, saves materials - less waste.

255/45-19 tires will not fit a Model 3 in the front. I have 255/45-18 and they barely fit so 255/40-19’s will fit. You can go wider but not taller and wider is going to gain you nothing but less range squeezed on an 8.5 inch wheel.

I running PS4S 245.35.20 on the front and 285.30.20 on the rear
Rims are 8.5x20 front and 10.20 rear

One day I decided to try something different.

There were made for me, forged with my specs and offsets

tire.jpg

Reactions: ODWms