Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard or Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am thinking of selling either my Mustang or Porche Macan base for model 3 or Y. If i sell Macan, I will go for model Y, if mustang than model 3. Model Y is my preferance. Not sure whether i have to go with Model 3 standerd or Model Y.
I am getting 5k rebate from state for Model 3 standerd and 2k for Long range 3 or Y. But long rage Y has long wait time till december as of now.
Note: I dont own a house, I live in an apartment for now atleast for 6 more months.
Any suggestions, thoughts or someone in same boat helps me to decide.
Thanks

If you don't own a house you lose one of the biggest benefits of owning an EV, home charging. With home charging you spend essentially zero time fueling your car, without it you have to go to a Supercharger on a frequent basis. On road trips Supercharging is a non-issue, you need to do bathroom breaks at about the same rate as the car needs to be topped up so a 10 or 15 minute stop every couple of hours is fine. If Superchargers are your only means of charging then the stops will be longer because you have to charge to a higher level, it could be 30 minutes. If the Supercharger is next to a supermarket then you can combine the charging stop with your weekly shopping trip but if it's not then that's 30 minutes out of your life each week. Another thing to take into account is how conveniently located the Superchargers are in your area. Do you have one near you or on your way to work? If you've determined that stopping at a Supercharger isn't out of your way then the next thing to consider is your battery size. I would not get an SR+, it has a smaller battery necessitating more frequent charging stops and it also charges more slowly. You should be choosing between the Model 3 AWD and the Model Y AWD, test drive both and see which one you like best. The 3 is sportier, has longer range, better rear visibility and it looks better. The Y has a lot more cargo space, sits higher and it might be quieter.

Hi,

I am thinking of selling either my Mustang or Porche Macan base for model 3 or Y. If i sell Macan, I will go for model Y, if mustang than model 3. Model Y is my preferance. Not sure whether i have to go with Model 3 standerd or Model Y.
I am getting 5k rebate from state for Model 3 standerd and 2k for Long range 3 or Y. But long rage Y has long wait time till december as of now.
Note: I dont own a house, I live in an apartment for now atleast for 6 more months.
Any suggestions, thoughts or someone in same boat helps me to decide.
Thanks

I am not a fan at all of owning one of these cars without home charging. I used to say "charging at home or at work" but with the new ways many of us all work now (from home), the best ownership experience of an EV comes with having charging at home, if one is concerned at all about convenience.

if you are a "save the environment" type person (or have some other reason to want an EV other than convenience) then maybe consider it, but its unlikely that someone with both a mustang and a porsche macan is also a "save the environment" type person.

TL ; DR - Dont do either until you know what your home charging situation will be long term. Owning these cars without access to home charging requires some additional committment. you WILL NOT, EVER get what the rated range on the vehicle, so if you are thinking "oh the car gets 260 miles, I only drive 10 miles a day to work, so thats only 20 miles round trip, I can charge every 9-10 days or so and still be ok" it WILL NOT work like that.

Reactions: El joe
One more thing, this about range. If you have home charging range is a complete non-issue because the car starts every day fully charged. If you are charging at Superchargers you should assume that you won't be charging past 80% because the charging rate depends on your battery level, after 80% the rate is pretty poor, not nearly as bad as the Mustang Mach-E which hits a wall at 80% but bad enough that you won't want to wait around to get another 10% (as a rule you should never charge a Tesla above 90% unless you really have to, i.e. you can't get to the next Supercharger without starting out with a full battery).

Just to agree with the above, home charging is kind of a must, it was the big game changer for us, even for a PHEV. If you had a decent charger solution at an office you went to 5 days a week, it's not bad, but you're having to plan things around work hours, so that leaves you hanging on the weekends, holidays, etc.

Coming from ICE, you have to reset your thinking about how you "fuel", it's not "use most of it then gas up", it's more about maintaining levels, which with a home charger, is convenient, simple (and vs. ICE, especially a performance car, can be a good bit cheaper).

FWIW, I sold a '19 GT convertible (PP, MR, AR, with the A10), fun car, haven't looked back :)

Thank you all for you valid suggestions, Yes, I don’t own a home charger for now, but in 6 months or so i will. The main reason that i want to sell my cars and buy an EV is the value that i am getting for my cars, I can literally exchange my mustang for Tesla Model 3 SR+ with 5k rebate from New jersey and Model Y performance with Macan.
Now herr in US the used car values are sky high which is the reason why i want to sell one of my car and go for EV (instant torque) and mostly i drive in city as commutor and local needs, I will keep other gas car for long drives for now.
Some of the things that stopping me from buying a Model 3 SR+ Is some what ok ish Audio compres to AWD audio. How bad is SR+ audio compres to AWD’s audio?
FYI, I only drove 2018 Mustang just over 7800 miles in 3+ years. 2020 Macan around 5k in over year.

One more thing, this about range. If you have home charging range is a complete non-issue because the car starts every day fully charged. If you are charging at Superchargers you should assume that you won't be charging past 80% because the charging rate depends on your battery level, after 80% the rate is pretty poor, not nearly as bad as the Mustang Mach-E which hits a wall at 80% but bad enough that you won't want to wait around to get another 10% (as a rule you should never charge a Tesla above 90% unless you really have to, i.e. you can't get to the next Supercharger without starting out with a full battery).
Is the Mustang your selling a Mach E? I assume not but you mentioned Mach E charging.

Ski

Just to agree with the above, home charging is kind of a must, it was the big game changer for us, even for a PHEV. If you had a decent charger solution at an office you went to 5 days a week, it's not bad, but you're having to plan things around work hours, so that leaves you hanging on the weekends, holidays, etc.

Coming from ICE, you have to reset your thinking about how you "fuel", it's not "use most of it then gas up", it's more about maintaining levels, which with a home charger, is convenient, simple (and vs. ICE, especially a performance car, can be a good bit cheaper).

FWIW, I sold a '19 GT convertible (PP, MR, AR, with the A10), fun car, haven't looked back :)

Thank you all for you valid suggestions, Yes, I don’t own a home charger for now, but in 6 months or so i will. The main reason that i want to sell my cars and buy an EV is the value that i am getting for my cars, I can literally exchange my mustang for Tesla Model 3 SR+ with 5k rebate from New jersey and Model Y performance with Macan.
Now herr in US the used car values are sky high which is the reason why i want to sell one of my car and go for EV (instant torque) and mostly i drive in city as commutor and local needs, I will keep other gas car for long drives for now.
Some of the things that stopping me from buying a Model 3 SR+ Is some what ok ish Audio compres to AWD audio. How bad is SR+ audio compres to AWD’s audio?
FYI, I only drove 2018 Mustang just over 7800 miles in 3+ years. 2020 Macan around 5k in over year.
If you'll have home charging in 6 months then I'll change my advice. The waiting time for a Tesla is several months so you'll only have to use Superchargers for three months or so. I'd trade the Macan for a Model Y, personally I'd get the LR instead of the Performance but that's up to you. I'd certainly test drive both so see if the extra performance is worth the money. With a LR or Performacne Tesla you won't need an ICE car for road trips, the range is more than sufficient and Superchargers are everywhere. Unless you live some place like Idaho where the Superchargers are only on Interstates you won't have any problem doing road trips. When road tripping you stop every couple of hours to charge and go to the bathroom, it's not like a gas car where you fill the tank, instead you charge for 10 or 15 minutes to add 150 miles of range which will get you to the next stop.