Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Plus Overnight Range Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've has my model 3 for 3 months. For daily use, I charge to 80%. As the weather has changed, range loss overnight is significant. Around 10%. External temperature approx 3 to 5 degrees celcius. I am confused as to why leaving it plugged in overnight and charged to 80%, the blue frost symbol is present the next day. The app wasn't set with a departure or charge time. When plugged in, doesn't the car draw power from the house power supply to keep battery warm to minimise loss? Maybe I am not doing it right. Hoping experienced Tesla owners can advise.

My M3P has started showing a consistent 4-5% battery loss overnight, but only if it’s been charging.

That is, if left unplugged it sleeps happily the whole night with zero loss.

If plugged in and set to charge from 0030am from say 40% to 65%, it‘ll charge accurately to 65% and then by morning will promptly have lost a few percent and be showing maybe 60/61%. Verified by TeslaFi.

It’s only started doing this after recently updating to 2021.36.5.8 so I just put it down to the not unusual vagaries that arise after each update and will wait to see what it does after the next one.

When plugged in, doesn't the car draw power from the house power supply to keep battery warm to minimise loss? Maybe I am not doing it right. Hoping experienced Tesla owners can advise.
No, it won't start warming the battery unless you start charging, turn the climate on to warm the cabin, or have the departure preconditoning set. Having the battery maintained at a "warm" temperature for no reason other than just to keep the battery warm is a waste of energy.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
My LFP SR+ only loses 1% if left overnight unplugged in these temperatures.

If your car is LFP why are you only charging to 80%? (I know there is different advice but Tesla seem to say charge to 100 to keep BMS accurate).

How often do you leave it plugged in/charging? I’m running mine from 100 down to 20/30 taking 3-5 days, then charging back to 100. I’m setting it to precondition for my departure time and if plugged in it’s still 100% when I leave. If it’s unplugged precondition uses 3-5%.

Mine must have heard me talking about it. Charged last night and, for the first time in quite a few charges, it subsequently held on to the same level of charge through the night.

A bit like the pilots who flew the early generations of fly by wire airliners, one of the joys of Tesla ownership is always wondering what it’s going to do next :)

Are you saying it loses 10% from a cold battery at night to a cold battery the next morning, or from a warm battery directly after charging/being used to a cold battery first thing? You’ll have 2 different types of loses, vampire drain which is usually under 1% unless sentry mode is in action, and a reduction in available battery because it’s got cold. If you ever stop the car with a low state of charge when it’s cold the car even warns you to charge the car as the available energy/miles will reduce as it cools down.

So, I've has my model 3 for 3 months. For daily use, I charge to 80%. As the weather has changed, range loss overnight is significant. Around 10%. External temperature approx 3 to 5 degrees celcius. I am confused as to why leaving it plugged in overnight and charged to 80%, the blue frost symbol is present the next day. The app wasn't set with a departure or charge time. When plugged in, doesn't the car draw power from the house power supply to keep battery warm to minimise loss? Maybe I am not doing it right. Hoping experienced Tesla owners can advise.
Its probably not real loss of charge. Charging warms the battery so it finishes at 80% based on that warmer temp. then if cools over night and that changes the BMS calculation. If you left it all day and it was a warm day you would probably see it come back you will also effectively get it back when you drive it but you wont be able to tell since the state of charge will be falling as you drive at the same time that the battery is warming.
As others have said no it wont warm the battery unless you have scheduled departure on.

OK thanks for the replies. I am just seeing loss of range when left overnight at home and not plugged in. I think the level of range loss when cold is unacceptable which leads to anxiety. ICE cars don't suffer from this side effect. I visited a friend in the cold today and returned to my car in 2 hrs to have found a 4% loss in range. Around 8 miles. Very difficult to plan a journey of this level of loss is experienced.

I visited a friend in the cold today and returned to my car in 2 hrs to have found a 4% loss in range. Around 8 miles. Very difficult to plan a journey of this level of loss is experienced.

As well as sentry mode (and or likes of not allowing the car to sleep otherwise such as constantly polling the app or leaving summon standby enabled), as Jason says above, the car will also on paper, 'lose' and 'gain' energy based upon a number of environmental fluctuations, especially temperature. Its not unheard of losing 4% or 5% battery (or even more), only to gain it later without plugging in. It will also come back during a drive as things warm up. The car (at least it use to) and app show usable energy which will fluctuate. If losses want to be checked to get a better idea what is in the battery but not necessarily available, try moving the charge limit slider in the app to 100%. In many situations it may be limited to say 98% rather than 100%, in which case the usable energy is less than rated but will return if given the chance. But the car does have the equivalent of a hole in the petrol tank which will be a constant loss, but only around 1% per day not several % over a few hours.

Reactions: Simonix