Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard PLUS - supercharging speed/curve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been several videos already of new happy owners receiving their M3 SR+. We know for a fact (from this forum), that M3 MR can actually utilize current v2 supercharger and receive speeds up to ~120kW until ~50% SoC, then tapering starts to hit in, obviously. Everything identicall as M3 LR.

However, are there any owners of M3 SR+ that have tested supercharging at low SoC with properly heated battery ?
Would be just plain great to get some info about it :)

Reactions: fcharland
Picked up my SR+ yesterday. I went through multiple supercharging sessions on my way home.

Working from memory, my first charge started above 50% and did not get above 60kW.

The next two started from under 20% and did hit the 120 range early on. It then tapered off to around 45kW at 80 percent.

It is a mess trying to determine percent charge whime charging since it's not showing on the charging screen that shows the rate of charge. I kept flipping to the trip tab to see current percent charge.

I would be happy to share more details if anyone can suggest a way to pull the data from the car.

Working from memory, my first charge started above 50% and did not get above 60kW.

The next two started from under 20% and did hit the 120 range early on. It then tapered off to around 45kW at 80 percent.

It is a mess trying to determine percent charge whime charging since it's not showing on the charging screen that shows the rate of charge. I kept flipping to the trip tab to see current percent charge.
All these charging speeds match my estimate below. This is based on scaling down the LR packs that were charged at the V3 demo and detailed in this thread. The fact that your car got near 120kW on an original V2 SC is very encouraging. I expect it to be able to stay there until about 40%. (Note: the blue line below assumes a V2 Supercharger capable of 145kW.)

20190317, Mod3 SR+ Profile.png

You can change the setting to show battery level on the charge screen. It's the same setting that changes the main battery level display, on the top left of the display, from rated range to %.

First Tesla here! Just got my SR+ yesterday. I plugged in at a 120kw stall A and i had about 25% remaining. It spiked up to 75 for a few seconds ans then came down to 55kw and after passing 50% tapered down 45kw. Nowhere near 120 :/

Am i doing something wrong? Its 70 degrees here in the bay area.

First Tesla here! Just got my SR+ yesterday. I plugged in at a 120kw stall A and i had about 25% remaining. It spiked up to 75 for a few seconds ans then came down to 55kw and after passing 50% tapered down 45kw. Nowhere near 120 :/

Am i doing something wrong? Its 70 degrees here in the bay area.
No

Tesla battery packs are very sensitive to temperature. To get the best charging rates, the battery temps need to be higher than 70F. I heard it could take as much as 104F (40C) to get the fastest rates (second hand, per Tesla engineer at V3 demo). And remember, the SR+ battery is about 55 kWh usable. Charging at 120kW takes a more optimized temperature than it would for the larger battery cars. The On Route Battery Warmup, which is coming soon to the fleet, will greatly help your charge rates.

(I assume the "B stall" was not in use.)

BTW, welcome to TMC!

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
They *really* need to come out with a feature that explains to you as you are charging why you are not getting max rate.

Something like “battery cold” or “your battery is too full” or “your battery is too empty” or “this supercharger is sharing with another car” or “this supercharger is broken”.

More information would go a long way to avoiding tech support calls.

I agree. It would be very very handy to simply show another icon next to battery percentage one. That one would indicate battery temp as bar-icon and be colored apropriately (blue, black, red). In the middle, there'd me max kW that car can accept. Upon plugging into supercharger, notification could occur "you have plugged in with slightly cold battery, charging power limited", or similar.

There are tons of questions on forums, facebook groups, youtube comments etc from people not getting optimal charging speeds.

@momo3605: sometimes it helps to change stalls, the one you were using could have issues. And nearby stall has to be empty, obviously. And you should not charge on urban supercharger when you desire high speeds, as those are limited to 72kW. Should you be concerned about your charging speed, drive the car a bit, try to floor it 10+ times from 0 to 70+mph. That releases several tens of kW of heat and greatly helps to heat the battery.