Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't state the kWh of the SR+, but if you do calculation:

150 km (SR-1) / 284 km (SR+) * 50 kWh (presumed SR+ capacity) = 19.6 kWh usable

That is just a bit more than the 17.6 kWh in my Smart ED !!

150/386 = 38.86%

386/7km/kW = ~55kW Pack. Add in regen and shoddy EPA ratings. 50kW sounds about right.

38.86% * 50kW(55)= ~19.43kW(21.37) usable.

First person to unlock the battery is going to get quite a few YouTube subs and Patreon donations.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
150/386 = 38.86%

386/7km/kW = ~55kW Pack. Add in regen and shoddy EPA ratings. 50kW sounds about right.

38.86% * 50kW(55)= ~19.43kW(21.37) usable.

First person to unlock the battery is going to get quite a few YouTube subs and Patreon donations.
Is a 'jailbreak unlock' really going to be a thing though? I mean aside from the fact that it would certainly void the warranty instantly, and the fact that Tesla could just undo it with an OTA update and/or blacklist the car from all superchargers is it even really possible?

By this I mean: did anyone ever successfully 3rd party unlock the 60kwh model s battery so you didn't have to go through Tesla to unlock it to 75kwh?

This isn't like adding an ECU or engine mod to an ICE car to unlock more horsepower. This can easily be detected by Tesla and some serious ramifications could ensue.

Is a 'jailbreak unlock' really going to be a thing though? I mean aside from the fact that it would certainly void the warranty instantly, and the fact that Tesla could just undo it with an OTA update and/or blacklist the car from all superchargers is it even really possible?

By this I mean: did anyone ever successfully 3rd party unlock the 60kwh model s battery so you didn't have to go through Tesla to unlock it to 75kwh?

This isn't like adding an ECU or engine mod to an ICE car to unlock more horsepower. This can easily be detected by Tesla and some serious ramifications could ensue.

People have rooted/jailbroken Teslas to unlock unreleased features and enable Spotify in North America etc. I believe Tesla now prevents you from upgrading automatically if it detects that. So should be doable if it's totally software minus software upgrades unless you can unroot/unjailbreak. Since we haven't heard about it it may be more complicated than that.

I bought the Tesla SR with 150 km a few weeks ago. At delivery it was a SR+ with the same range, I was able to charge the car again and again to the same rabge until I connected to car to Wifi and upgraded the software to the latest version. After the software update, the range was locked at 158km for a while and I was not able to charge anymore (it said that it was full) untill the range came under 158km.

Why did I chose this version?

1 - The range is sufficient for me (I drive no more than 30km a day) If I need to drive more (once or twice a year), I just stop at superchargers, there are many SC in the region and less than 100km one from the other.

2 - I don't need autopilot as I'm in the city and no highway on a daily basis

3 - It was 44,999$ + taxes minus the incentives compared to the SR+ which was 30% more expensive after taxes and incentives. I didn't want to pay $110 more every months for 8 years for a range I won't use

4 - Other brands are available for the same price with higher range but nothing comparable and range was not my focus.

5 - I love this car, I dreamed about it for years, I love its look and this version is answering all my needs

6 - 3 years ago, when I placed my deposit, Tesla promoted a car at $35k USD and I was expected a car with basic interior (fabric on the seats, limited sound system, no glass roof, etc...) instead I have the same interior as a premium and I love it.

7 - IF my situation change or IF I win the lotery, I will just purchase a new Tesla and I will give this car back to testa (they will sale it as a SR+ with a push on a button)

8 - I'm not expecting an upgrade for the range or any miracle, I love my car and I don't regret my choice. If you can afford the SR+ and/or if you have a need for it go for the SR+ it's the best choice for the majority of the buyers but for a minority like me, the SR- can be considered.

9 - I'm not sure why Tesla wouldn't offer an upgrade in range, as an upgrade in range still qualifies for the incentive (It's the SR+)

10 - I love my Tesla model 3 SR-
Congratz! Please let us know how you re doing in January when it's -35 C. I know very well what it was like in my 2017 Chevy Volt with resistance heater in Montreal. We will see with SR+. I'am guessing you will have 90-110 km range in deepest Montreal cold spells from full charge.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Well, I live in Montreal so I can tell you that -35c doesn't happen that often. I noticed the worst hit on range is on multiple short trips. And then you don't need much range for those. On road trips, the loss od range will be around 20% with temp around -20c. Of course don't crank the heat to 25...
With a good SC coverage, it should be manageable.
Also as a personal note, I remember when I bought my MR, it was the shortest range for the 3. A lot of folk on TMC would say that the range of the MR was unpractical for the winter...

Reactions: Vawlkus
I'm still road tripping with my S60, but I can't imagine even attempting a winter road trip with a 150km car.

There's a way to get the car to continue charging past your set point with TeslaFi. You set the setting to a percentage slightly lower than your current % (say 90) and do start charging. The car will charge past 90% until you unplug, I've often woken up to a car with the meter showing more than 90% even though it says its at 90.

Maybe you can trick the SR+ into doing this?

There's a way to get the car to continue charging past your set point with TeslaFi. You set the setting to a percentage slightly lower than your current % (say 90) and do start charging. The car will charge past 90% until you unplug, I've often woken up to a car with the meter showing more than 90% even though it says its at 90.

Interesting...
But even if it really works the question is can you rely on this "extra charge"?
Because you need to have a reliable way to verify if this extra charge has actually happened after a particular charging session...

interesting... how much extra does it charge?

If it's just for local use it's hard to argue the value at 45k less rebates.

Exactly and if my rough maths is correct $44,995 plus 12% Tax minus the $8K rebates leaves about an out the door price around $42,500 very roughly speaking.

Plus I'm prepared to take the risk of future upgrade paths, if appropriate and needed if they do become available, say 2-3 years down the line?

Exactly and if my rough maths is correct $44,995 plus 12% Tax minus the $8K rebates leaves about an out the door price around $42,500 very roughly speaking.

Plus I'm prepared to take the risk of future upgrade paths, if appropriate and needed if they do become available, say 2-3 years down the line?

I wouldn't count on an upgrade path at all. You gotta decide now, will you be satisfied if you can't realistically road trip in this car?

Is the battery capacity capped, or is it simply range that is capped at 150km? I presume the batteries will hold more than 20kw. If they cap the range, that's a good thing, especially for winter

and yes, there is no such thing as -35 in Montreal (or Ottawa), probably -28 is the lowest air temps we'll see, most usually really cold mornings are -20 to -25

Is the battery capacity capped, or is it simply range that is capped at 150km? I presume the batteries will hold more than 20kw. If they cap the range, that's a good thing, especially for winter

and yes, there is no such thing as -35 in Montreal (or Ottawa), probably -28 is the lowest air temps we'll see, most usually really cold mornings are -20 to -25

It's rated range so same as battery capacity. That is to say 150km in summer and less in winter.

I also believe that that the all time historical low in Montreal was -39 C.