Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes Sr+ is eligible. Sr- 150km costs less. Some people are willing to make that trade off.

Edit: as to why it exists in the first place the incentive program requires a model to be available under 45k for any other trim under 55k to also be eligible as long as the 45k version has at least 15kwh battery. So Tesla made this crippled version for the Sr+ to qualify.

Ahhhh. Okay. Thank you for the patience. I had no idea.

There’s nothing from the government saying the SR ain’t allowed to be upgraded. It’s to make the majority go for the SR+.
Yes there is. Some language about they can pull a mfg from the program if they don't adhere to the rules or something like that. It's been discussed extensively in earlier threads....

Think about it logically. Normal SR was ~47k and did not allow any model 3 to qualify when the program started. Then tesla makes SR- which is literally the same car, and this happened weeks after the program started.

If they were allowed to offer an upgrade to SR standard for 2-3k (original MSRP) that would be one giant loophole allowing the model 3 to qualify and the government would have a PR nightmare about how tesla 'millionares' were cheating the system to take taxpayer dollars.

Don't you think they would accept the extra revenue if they could? o_O the government ain't that dumb. As it is, the way tesla qualified the SR+ by making the SR- is a bit shady. Doubt they will press their luck at losing eligibility and tanking SR+ sales....now after the program ends? Maybe...

Best case scenario, they offer an upgrade to SR+ which would have to cost more than the original delta between SR- and SR+ or else every SR+ owner would have overpaid...

Edit: Here's another way to think about it: why can't tesla sell the SR normal for 47k still and have that qualify like the SR- and SR+? That would be the same effect as offering the upgrade...literally no one would buy the SR- in that case. But they removed SR normal completely, and anyone who had a normal SR on order (and had not accepted delivery) were told they had to either take an SR- or upgrade to SR+. I definitely recall seeing some posts about that....

Last edited:
Reactions: bijan and hingisfan
I would still buy the SR- and hope for a 3rd party hack/unlock in the future. Worse case scenario, you can learn to hack it yourself as a project ;)
But what about when tesla cancels both battery and bumper to bumper warranty for the hack, and/or overwrites the hack with a firmware upgrade? Worth the risk just to save a few $k? Even if this was possible, rather than spend time hacking (which I doubt many people here would even have the skill to do, if at all), buy the SR+ and enjoy it. If a 3rd party hack comes out and miraculously avoids tesla overwriting/detecting, how much would that cost? Add all this up and its still a bad idea imho.

Reactions: GSP
Best case scenario, they offer an upgrade to SR+ which would have to cost more than the original delta between SR- and SR+ or else every SR+ owner would have overpaid...

Why would they release this for like the 5-10 people who may have actually bought it? Not worth it from a risk perspective or even cash flow of $15k per car (and maybe only a couple of those would even consider it)

Why would they release this for like the 5-10 people who may have actually bought it? Not worth it from a risk perspective or even cash flow of $15k per car (and maybe only a couple of those would even consider it)

Good point, it could also work in reverse that so small is the market why not let them upgrade, as disruption to main target sales is negligable?

I potter about Vancouver/Deep Cove/Horseshoe Bay then occasionally Squamish and Whistler and Vancouver Island,150km is fine for me and gets me into a Model 3 at a good "in" price point, with all the Tesla tech (I owned an S75 AP1 previously) and I like their cars, for me it is an attractive proposition.

Yes there are other cars with higher range and possibly cheaper but the range is not any issue at all, no it really isn't, I am more interested in Tesla technology, AP and more.

With a set of new BC Superchargers being built, and the current placing of the active ones, I don't forsee any range issue for my type of use. Waiting for call back from Vancouver sales.

From this plus your profile pic it seems we both fell victim to the same gateway drug and went from gen1 volt -> gen2 volt -> model 3

Yes. The same pathway here. Planing for Model Y in the future ))

I should have asked: did you have the ERDTT mod on at this time? Wonder how many people on here will even know what that means. If they do, I give them extra double bonus points :cool:

By default, the engine was running with slightly below 0 degrees but I was setting the things for the engine to run if it was getting below -10 )

Yeah, good point. Its just people on here keep saying "I'll buy it and get an upgrade in the future", but I never thought about the fact that its a target market of maybe 20-30 across all of Canada which is the only place this model exists :)

Yes. The same pathway here. Planing for Model Y in the future ))

By default, the engine was running with slightly below 0 degrees but I was setting the things for the engine to run if it was getting below -10 )
Ah, so you didn't ever put the temperature sensor mod on your sensor to trick the car into thinking it never gets below -10? I had that on my both volts, mounted a switch in the car that would let me flip to a set offset resistor on cold days. Its getting way off topic from this post (and forum), but its super annoying (for me) when I got into my fully charged volt to grab milk 1 km away and have the engine run just because it was -11 outside....but I digress....

Yeah, good point. Its just people on here keep saying "I'll buy it and get an upgrade in the future", but I never thought about the fact that its a target market of maybe 20-30 across all of Canada which is the only place this model exists :)

Just from my perspective if there is any upgrades in the future it would be a pleasant surprise, but I'm not entirely sure the few that have gone for the 150kW version are buying hoping that will happen, as it probably just as likely won't.

Those that want the standard longer range are buying it, and in large numbers, so the few that are happy with the smaller capacity will I am sure be fine with it.

The numbers are so small as to be perhaps an insignificance the main car people are buying, and wouldn't present any worries.

All that is being asked is others experiences and their own personal reasoning for choosing it, for me it is the price and the range is fine for my needs. (I do not have PR yet so in that sense getting loans underwritten is hard, so the cheaper price allows for a higher deposit ratio to secure the finance, this is another element to my thinking)

Or I just forget it and stick to EVO & Car2Go :)

Ah, so you didn't ever put the temperature sensor mod on your sensor to trick the car into thinking it never gets below -10? I had that on my both volts, mounted a switch in the car that would let me flip to a set offset resistor on cold days. Its getting way off topic from this post (and forum), but its super annoying (for me) when I got into my fully charged volt to grab milk 1 km away and have the engine run just because it was -11 outside....but I digress....

No, I wasn't too active on Volt's form so I had no clue. Yes it is really annoying for short trips and for preconditioning the car, when it starting to run the engine so you can't do it in your garage )

Anyone with a SR- with the new update 2019.32.2.1 not getting regen when the car is at full charge? Regen used to work despite the battery was charged at 100%... as our models have limited capacity.

I have that model and software version, and still seem to get regen at 100%. I park in a garage so my battery is still at a good operating temperature despite the cooler temperatures now.

No, I wasn't too active on Volt's form so I had no clue. Yes it is really annoying for short trips and for preconditioning the car, when it starting to run the engine so you can't do it in your garage )
If you are interested PM me and I can help you set one up. I think I still have some resistors around to do the fixed offset mod. If you are somewhat handy it's pretty easy to add in/remove at the beginning/end of winter.

Reactions: Kappelan
Ahhhh. Okay. Thank you for the patience. I had no idea.

I’m a new owner of the sr- and want to point out a few things that I wanted to know but couldn’t find.....

The cell % is not locked it’s actual 150km. So regardless of climate it’s charging to 150km. You can charge it to 100%. There is no fog lights, no heated seats, and no AP. The cost was $41,279 After rebate (5k federal) before tax. It’s takes about 30 hours to charge with a 110v/ 15amp plug. 12 amp in the car. 4.3 hours on 30 amp. 3.1 on 40amp. The reason I chose this as it’s a second vehicle and I use it for small commutes around the city....such as kids to practice, grocery store etc. I charge it only on the 110 but plug it all the time when I’m not using it in my garage ...