Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range+ owners... how is it in New England?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m very close on pulling the trigger on a Standard Range Plus. I wanted to see how everyone’s experience is owning it in New England.

• Range loss in the winter?
  • Driving on the “great” roads of New England (I live in Western Massachusetts)
  • How’s your paint holding up?
  • Do you have snow tires?
  • How’s heating the Tesla?
  • Knowing what you know about owning a Standard Range, would you still buy one?
  • Full Self Driving? Did you get it? Why or why not?
  • Any other experience you have.

Some more info on my decision:

• Mass has a $2500 rebate. Getting the long range would mean I lose out on this.
  • Ill be getting a Nema 14-50 outlet installed
  • Driving to work is about 16 miles away
  • We don’t road trip often but I do see driving a lot more with this car

Clarification:

the difference between the SR+ and LR is $9000. Losing out on the $2500 Mass rebate would mean the difference would be $11500.

I don’t think the range difference and premium package is worth that difference. Or am I wrong?

Just get the car, the sooner the better and you will not be disappointed. Get a second set of wheels with snows, it is basically free considering you use up x% of a tire in y miles driven.

As for the battery and driving, the magic of Tesla (and what I didn't realize when I bought mine) is a full battery in the morning and more importantly the Supercharger network. The ability to seamlessly and quickly charge on basically any major thoroughfare in the US (and Canada) is the game changer. It is something no other electric vehicle has, and in fact makes them unusable for me. the car is the single best thing I have ever purchased.

Just get the car, the sooner the better and you will not be disappointed. Get a second set of wheels with snows, it is basically free considering you use up x% of a tire in y miles driven.

As for the battery and driving, the magic of Tesla (and what I didn't realize when I bought mine) is a full battery in the morning and more importantly the Supercharger network. The ability to seamlessly and quickly charge on basically any major thoroughfare in the US (and Canada) is the game changer. It is something no other electric vehicle has, and in fact makes them unusable for me. the car is the single best thing I have ever purchased.

Are you driving an SR+ up in VT? Sounds like the snow isn't an issue for you?

This is based on S and X but probably comparable for these questions:

It is a thing, but nothing that gets in the way. Just stop for charge a little more on long trips. Daily, no big deal at all when you have 200+ miles and need to only drive around 30 for example.
Fine. Been up to white mountains multiple times.
Don't notice any change.
Nope, I get by fine without them, but many like to put on.
Great, in morning, turn it on from app, get into warm car. On drives in super cold temp, no difference from any other car.
If you can afford longer range, that is best if you want to do long trips. If no long trips, standard is fine. If long trips with standard, there are enough super chargers around so in the end, even with standard range, no big.
I love it. Once you get started with autopilot you don't want to drive with out on long trips.

All in all, great car. No regrets. Will never buy gas again.

• Mass has a $2500 rebate. Getting the long range would mean I lose out on this.
This one up to you how much it matters.
Getting Tesla plug or extra cable is great so you just have to plug in one spot.
You'll definitely be fine for daily use with standard if you plug in at night at home.
That is a true thing. You'll want to drive. It is so much easier than lugging around gas engine everywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: venezing
This is based on S and X but probably comparable for these questions:

It is a thing, but nothing that gets in the way. Just stop for charge a little more on long trips. Daily, no big deal at all when you have 200+ miles and need to only drive around 30 for example.
Fine. Been up to white mountains multiple times.
Don't notice any change.
Nope, I get by fine without them, but many like to put on.
Great, in morning, turn it on from app, get into warm car. On drives in super cold temp, no difference from any other car.
If you can afford longer range, that is best if you want to do long trips. If no long trips, standard is fine. If long trips with standard, there are enough super chargers around so in the end, even with standard range, no big.
I love it. Once you get started with autopilot you don't want to drive with out on long trips.

All in all, great car. No regrets. Will never buy gas again.

This one up to you how much it matters.
Getting Tesla plug or extra cable is great so you just have to plug in one spot.
You'll definitely be fine for daily use with standard if you plug in at night at home.
That is a true thing. You'll want to drive. It is so much easier than lugging around gas engine everywhere.

Thank you so much! This is such good information.

Do you keep your Teslas in the garage? How would you feel if you had to leave your cars outside all year round? Assuming of course your charger was still outside too.

Anyone else reading this, please feel free to share your thoughts as well!

I had an AWD with Snows in New England, with a semi heated garage. I wouldn't even think of doing anything less.

Start with 250 miles.

You don't charge to 100% Daily. At most 90% on a regular basis.

Now you are down to 225 miles.

You don't run your battery down to 0%. No lower than 10% to be safe.

Now you are down to 200 miles. Personally I would never go below 20% when it's really cold out. In case you hit a detour or something.

Now comes the cold weather hit. When it's below 20F, which can be pretty often in New England, you are talking a minimum of a 20% hit. Mainly due to the heater.

Now you are down to 150 miles.

That assume ZERO degradation, PERFECT weather, near PERFECT driving and not driving too fast.

In my opinion you can't have enough range on any EV yet until they reach 600 miles.

It's not even the best AWD car with snows, let along 2WD.

• Helpful
Thank you so much! This is such good information.

Do you keep your Teslas in the garage? How would you feel if you had to leave your cars outside all year round? Assuming of course your charger was still outside too.

Anyone else reading this, please feel free to share your thoughts as well!

>Do you keep your Teslas in the garage? How would you feel if you had to leave your cars outside all year round? Assuming of course your charger was still outside too.

Yep, in a garage.

Outside if being charged is ok, just dealing with usual car outside year around issues. Also when heating up car in morning will take more energy going from outdoor temps vs. garage temps.

I wouldn't not get a Tesla if I had to keep it outside. If hooked up to charger you are good.

• Informative
Are you driving an SR+ up in VT? Sounds like the snow isn't an issue for you?
No I have a dual motor, but I live at 2150' at the end of a super steep mile long unpaved road. (and I have a dedicated set of aero's w/snows.) My point is, if your commute is that short, range wont be a daily concern.And when road tripping, you have superchargers. Before I bought the car I was teetering on the range question. Now that I own it, it really isn't an issue for me. But the reason it isn't, wasn't the battery. The Superchargers are what makes it all work. Yes I stop longer and more often in the winter, and I love it when the dotted regen goes away for good in the spring, and I even would advocate for the dual motor as it is just better. A close friend has the SR+, lives in Boston, parks outside, and loves it.

Last edited:
Reactions: venezing and EdA