Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range Plus or Long Range AWD in the Ottawa Area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I would like to get opinions on which model 3 would be better to own in the Ottawa area. The RWD Standard Range Plus or the AWD Long Range given what our winters are like here.

Your thoughts are welcome and appteciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello,

I would like to get opinions on which model 3 would be better to own in the Ottawa area. The RWD Standard Range Plus or the AWD Long Range given what our winters are like here.

Thanks,

Jeff

Both would work fine. Question is do you need the extra range and want the extra performance of the AWD for the price premium and losing the federal rebate....ie, how much of a financial stretch is the AWD? If it's a reasonable stretch and you are one that likes to punch it every now and then, go with AWD.

AWD will be better in the snow, but the traction control on SR+ with a good set of winter tires will be fine for an Ottawa winter IMHO.

I'm in Ottawa and have an SR+ and I'm fine with it. The AWD and extra range would be nice but I couldn't justify paying that much more for features wouldn't come into play for 99% of my driving. I do a few longer road trips a year and the SR+ adds one or two extra charging stops which is bearable. Performance of the RWD has been good so far this winter.

The two features of the LR AWD that I would use every day are the upgraded stereo and the heated rear seats.

Reactions: GarthG
After many years of driving AWD Subarus, it was natural for me to choose AWD Model 3. It's excellent in the slippery stuff (with appropriate tires), and the extra battery capacity is really nice especially in winter. If you want to go for a drive send me a pm.

Thanks liquidmetal101, currently I drive around 30,000km per year plus I have aging parents living near Collingwood and Sault Ste Marie so having more battery capacity might be better.
I also have aging parents-in-law in Sault Ste Marie and have done the trip with the SR+. In October I did it before that SuperChargers were open and it was a pain as I had to drive through Huntsville and Sudbury, using destination chargers and ChaDeMo along the way. Took 13 1/2 hours. I haven't tried it yet with the SuperChargers yet but I'd have to stop in Deep River, North Bay and either Espanola or Blind River. My calculation are that it would take about 10 hours with the SuperChargers.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I have SR+. It was basically $15k+ jump from SR+ to LR AWD for the cost and lack of federal rebate. 80-20 rule was our deciding factor as SR+ does the job for day to day and weekend. Winter tires on RWD is better than AWD with all seasons. Tires matter more. Recent road trip from Toronto to QC through winter reveals the short comings of less range requiring 1.5 to 2 more stops then needed if LR. However, winter is a range killer in general and charging took longer. With more chargers range isn’t factor. It’s just time. $15k+ is opportunity cost for other things.

I have an P3D- and live in Tahoe CA. The AWD is a deal breaker for me due to the winter - but as others have pointed out a 2WD with winters is better than AWD with summers. However for the slippery conditions I see the AWD and winter tires is a game changer and makes all the 2WD cars I see in the snow look nuts. The 2WD is a great car without a doubt but for my use it would be limiting. I am originally from Canada and know Ottawa well so my lean would be AWD - assuming affordability of course

LR RWD first production owner and previous Subaru owner (for 12 years). This is my second winter with the 3 in Ottawa (got it in June 2018 – my millage is about 50000 km).

SR+ range would have been fine for me if it had been available at the time. I leave home every morning with 90% and never get home below 50%. I have a 80 km total commute and not trying to save on preheating, heating or acceleration. I have fun. Second winter with my X-Ice and they are wearing well,and doing a good job with handling and breaking.

For acceleration, I actually enjoy my RWD with slip start – having AWD would not allow my car to dance in such a controller way (if I can compare with my experience with a Subaru).

Really don't miss AWD. You will likely have a blast in snowy days with the SR+, especially if you are interested in saving 16K$...

We have both the SR+ and the AWD (his and hers), and when it comes to winter handling (including today), I haven't seen enough of a difference to justify the premium for AWD. With winter tires and the car's traction control, I haven't had a single issue this winter. in hindsight, we could have saved ourselves a fair bit had we known that back in the spring, but coming from subaru's previously, we were worried about the RWD on the ugly days, so we opted for one of each. The increased range is a nice to have, but for us, it hasn't been necessary yet. In my opinion, unless you have a need for the extra range, the SR+ should be sufficient.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Don’t forget $1600 of extra hst on the price too! I was tempted by AWD but couldn’t justify over $16k extra so went with SR+.

Range hit on the cold days for short trips is high, but this would also cut into the extra km of the AWD.

Handling was very good in today’s snow in Ottawa. Have found the back end a bit slidy sometimes but usually when I forget how much power. Traction control always fixes it.

The only trip where range is annoying is Ottawa to Toronto. It’s challenging to avoid the Kingston charger which is always busy and it would be nice to get straight to Belleville. However either the scenic route or the upcoming Brockville charger will solve that.

Am happy overall I went with SR+

Hello,

Thanks,

Jeff
I live in Ottawa and have the LR AWD.
I would never go back to a front wheel drive and certainly not a RWD.I have had the Xdrive on my 535 and this is just as good, if not better. I also feel that when you go to resale, AWD is very sought after in this part of the country.
I have made two trips to GTA and sailed past Kingston to supercharge in Belleville which has triple the amount of Superchargers. I think with the 5 month plus winters we have here AWD is very very nice to have.
Hello,

Thanks,

Jeff

Reactions: bijan
Don’t forget $1600 of extra hst on the price too! I was tempted by AWD but couldn’t justify over $16k extra so went with SR+.

Range hit on the cold days for short trips is high, but this would also cut into the extra km of the AWD.

Handling was very good in today’s snow in Ottawa. Have found the back end a bit slidy sometimes but usually when I forget how much power. Traction control always fixes it.

The only trip where range is annoying is Ottawa to Toronto. It’s challenging to avoid the Kingston charger which is always busy and it would be nice to get straight to Belleville. However either the scenic route or the upcoming Brockville charger will solve that.

Am happy overall I went with SR+
Why is it difficult to avoid Kingston?

I just did the route math...Belleville is 268km from Ottawa. If you aren't getting 300+km on a single 100% charge you have big problems.

Why is it difficult to avoid Kingston?

I just did the route math...Belleville is 268km from Ottawa. If you aren't getting 300+km on a single 100% charge you have big problems.

I barely get 300km on my LR AWD.

Edit: really depends on speed and temperature

Edit 2: I'm actually driving Oakville to Ottawa tomorrow and with temperature down to -22C I'm taking the back route as @Mikeydeek said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeydeek