Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 standard range postponed until Early 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone seems to forget Tesla is a publicly traded company. It would be a violation of SEC rules for them to "leak" a significant delay in Model 3 production to just the reservation holders. As a shareholder myself, I think it was reasonable for them to wait until after today's earnings call (where they were able to provide a lot of detail and context about the delays and production plans) to officially update the customer estimates.
I'm a shareholder but who would expect a leak to only reservation holders which would never be kept to just reservation holders? Can't believe I'm arguing such a silly point.

I got the email too, but immediately had a less dastardly reason that they did this after listening to the conference call today...

They said the major hurdle on M3 is battery production. They have a few automated lines and a semi automated line that got them to their capacity, and a new automated high capacity line about to be shipped to them for installation. The auto factory is doing fine.

Knowing that, I think the reason for this is simply that they can add AWD capacity after the large battery is properly automated while they bring up the short range battery production.

It doesn't make sense for them to build a different battery line until they confirm the first one works, when that happens they can bring up the second battery line a lot cheaper.

I totally get the disappointment, I'm planning on LR personally and my delivery window got pushed back four months. I'm not taking my crappy ICE car on another trip, so I guess no driving trip this summer, and pushing SR back will push more to purchase LR and put me further back still i figure. But, unless another company releases a relatively affordable long range car with a charging infrastructure, i will just wait.

There's an assumption that the order in line has some meaning. Reserving two years ago should count for something.

Yet any owner gets absolute priority over non-owners, even if they reserve much more recently (today?).

Any non-base model that Tesla comes up with get absolute priority over any base model reservation.

There is no point in having made a reservation with an expectation of the promised base model vehicle ever being available.

The AWD didn't exist and still doesn't, yet it manages to push any base model reservations out of the way.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and juanmedina
Everyone seems to forget Tesla is a publicly traded company. It would be a violation of SEC rules for them to "leak" a significant delay in Model 3 production to just the reservation holders. As a shareholder myself, I think it was reasonable for them to wait until after today's earnings call (where they were able to provide a lot of detail and context about the delays and production plans) to officially update the customer estimates.
Thats just it. They did NOT change their production estimates for Q1 or Q2 from their earlier delay. They reaffirmed the production targets they had announced earlier. The new news is prioritization by how much money you throw at them. Pure class society. Place in line makes no difference. If you have more money to spend, cut in line, welcome to the party. Otherwise, give us your $1000 and we'll call you only when no one else on earth is willing to buy our vehicles.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet OJ and mjp462
Tesla announced the new 5k/week goal when they announced the Q4 '17 delivery numbers in early January. The Model 3 SR delivery estimate just changed to "Mid 2018" for Day 1 reservation holders a few hours ago.

I'm a day one in person reservation holder. 7th in line at the Grand Ave store in Chicago. Also a current model s owner. Mine says late 2018 for SD and AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
if the shares do not maintain the high valuations, Tesla suffers financially
I'm not so sure about this. They don't get capital influx from shares sold long ago. Will it shake investor confidence and prevent them from getting new loans? Not sure it is critical at this point, as they stated they'll have positive cash flow at 5k/week production, which they'll reach in 5 months and they have enough cash to last until then. Of course, they may have a preference of having the extra cash to invest into Y, Semi, roadster. But it seems they did deviate from the mass market plan, again focusing on people who can afford S/X (or used version).
This may make a perfect business sense, but the "mass market" people are basically screwed until other competitors have similar offerings, at which point Tesla will not be remembered as a company that allowed a treat of a cool car to mass market before its time. They will be remembered as a company that accelerated EV development (not necessarily adoption)

Reactions: mjp462
Tesla website, can't login any more. Currently displays an error message.
Is the website overwhelmed with the number of cancellation requests or are they making some other change to the website?
Is it common for the website to disallow login? I've never seen this happen in the last 2 years.

Is the website overwhelmed with the number of cancellation requests or are they making some other change to the website?
Is it common for the website to disallow login? I've never seen this happen in the last 2 years.[/QUOTE
Is it common for the website to disallow login? I've never seen this happen in the last 2 years.

Elon Madoff is making off with our deposits....

I got the email too, but immediately had a less dastardly reason that they did this after listening to the conference call today...

They said the major hurdle on M3 is battery production. They have a few automated lines and a semi automated line that got them to their capacity, and a new automated high capacity line about to be shipped to them for installation. The auto factory is doing fine.

Knowing that, I think the reason for this is simply that they can add AWD capacity after the large battery is properly automated while they bring up the short range battery production.

It doesn't make sense for them to build a different battery line until they confirm the first one works, when that happens they can bring up the second battery line a lot cheaper.

I totally get the disappointment, I'm planning on LR personally and my delivery window got pushed back four months. I'm not taking my crappy ICE car on another trip, so I guess no driving trip this summer, and pushing SR back will push more to purchase LR and put me further back still i figure. But, unless another company releases a relatively affordable long range car with a charging infrastructure, i will just wait.
Welcome to the forum - great second post.

Just got this email
Was Dec 17 - Feb 18
Now March - May
View attachment 278751
Screenshot from Estimator Page
View attachment 278750
Interesting, I'm 1st day online reservation in San Francisco Bay Area. My 1st production estimate is now Apr-Jun, 1 month behind yours, but my SR estimate is late 2018, ahead of yours. I wonder how that happened.
upload_2018-2-8_0-31-1.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Does the 35k USD Model 3 actually exist?
It will happen when Tesla finishes the battery module/pack production automation, and production volume ramp up, so they can get high enough margin building the smaller battery pack for the SR. Per their quarterly earnings call, the automated battery module production line will arrive from Germany in March, so I expect Tesla to focus on getting the automated battery module line up and cranking in Q2, and then get around to SR and AWD in 2nd half of 2018. Given the delay of 5k/wk production target from Dec 2017 to Jun 2018, I never thought the "Early 2018" target for SR and AWD were even realistic, 2nd half of 2018 or even late 2018 seem much more realistic.

I got the email. Was kinda pissed at the length of the delay when I went and checked.

Full disclosure - I was at the Natick MA store, in line before it opened, reserved at around 10:30AM Eastern time on 3/31/2016 and I've never owned a Tesla.

My "First Production" timeframe is now "Mar-May 2018" from "Dec-Feb".
The "Dual Motor All Wheel Drive" reservation is now "Late 2018" versus "Aug-Oct 2018"

Looks like I still have plenty of oil and gas to buy for my Camry and lots of "hide and seek" when my temporary emissions sticker expires.

Or they will make PUP etc standard and justify price hike by that and never deliver 35 kUSD model..
^This^. I said this a year ago, and was excoriated for it. So, I’ll say it again. A $35K M3 will never be delivered. EM has known this for a long time.

Need to go back and reread all those posts about “Elon obviously doing the right thing”. What a joke.

Last edited:
Elon Musk is just a serial liar. I'm not buying a model 3, I am requesting a refund and filing complaints against Tesla. He had no way to deliver the car at $35,000 when he presented it. NO WAY.
Lutz is correct.
*** Tesla, I will never buy another one of their cars.
Don’t forget to short TSLA before any of those steps. You are not buying another Tesla? How did the previous one(s) work out?

It will arrive, just very very late. Delaying is one thing, backing out of something that's been said and promised multiple times is another thing. It wasn't a remark made on a tweeter or a random interview. It was in official press releases, presentations and what not. I'd expect it in 2019, once the full production line is in place and they've made enough money with LR sales. When you got tens of thousands of people willing to pay for LR right away, why would you prioritize lower margin version.