Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 standard range postponed until Early 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to think those of us who lined up to reserve a $35k Tesla were just free promotional props for Elon.

I honestly believe that they’re just adjusting to reality as it is presented to them. The company must make money (or break even) at some point and someone had a spreadsheet that says they need to prioritize the car that they’ll be delivering until volume or materials costs or whatever allow the base car to be profitable.

Honestly if they had launched the base car with mandatory PUP and EAP to drive up margins enough to make it worthwhile I would have been okay with that. I’ve worked for two major automakers and building cars is really really hard. I get it.

I just feel duped. The glitter around the Tesla concept has faded for me.

Reactions: 206er
The car that they took orders for on stage said “215 miles of range, $35k base.”
So they did, I stand corrected on that! ((Mea culpa: I didn't initially watch the video at the time, I really was putting down money on 200+ miles...and the assumption there'd be better options because it was Tesla. Looking closer, it was the battery and the actual mileage still up in the air.....they weren't firm on 215 as the final number, just as a minimum.))
There was zero mention of a long range model.
Ummm, well.....there was mention of higher performance models, right? I'm not sure how you could follow Tesla even casually and not realize that mean bigger battery and more $.

Last edited:
Anything over $40K and I'm out. I'm just looking at a BEV for local runs upto 100 miles per day. For longer runs, I usually tow my family along and go with my gas guzzling 6-seater Ram 1500.

As to the production rates, I don't feel 10K is a reasonable number in the short term. It might become a reality if they don 't run out of cash.

And no, I'm not short TSLA.

Check out the Bolt. I never worry about not having enough range, 230+ is way more than I need.

Check out the Bolt. I never worry about not having enough range, 230+ is way more than I need.

I rented a Bolt on Maven and the car’s seats were painfully uncomfortable for me (I understand this doesn’t apply to everyone). The Bolt, even with all options, is dramatically under-equipped compared to the competition. No ACC is a big issue for me even if I could stand the seats.

Looks like I’ll be driving another stupid nerd Nissan. Care for a ride?

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I honestly believe that they’re just adjusting to reality as it is presented to them. The company must make money (or break even) at some point and someone had a spreadsheet that says they need to prioritize the car that they’ll be delivering until volume or materials costs or whatever allow the base car to be profitable.

Bingo. Tesla is finding it much much harder to manufacture Model 3s than they had anticipated. Tesla had originally forecast a 25% gross margin on Model 3, but have been unable to reach that margin and would not be able to reach that margin if they introduced a lower price point at this time. Therefore Tesla will continue producing higher priced models until, if ever, they can produce a lower priced model that still achieves 25% gross margin.

It’s entirely possible that the standard range non-premium Model 3 may never be released.

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865 and dm33
I edited in some extra stuff while you posted. Sorry about that.

Musk on stage mentioned better performance stuff would be there, in the video "...there will be versions of the Model 3 that go much faster...".

Oh, yeah, but I don’t think anyone would have bet that the “much faster” one would be the only one you could buy for 18 months! I recall seeing the debut and being fully convinced that it was reasonable to expect a 35k + mandatory options car in early/mid 2018. That’s not what we got at all.

I sincerely hope Tesla succeeds but they’ve priced themselves out of my garage for now. At least the ‘18 Leaf is less mediocre than the previous model. I’m hoping for a nondescript color and tinted windows so as not to be noticed or identified driving one.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
Then we SR reservation holders are just publicity for financing and tech bytes. Perhaps they are looking for us to eventually cancel anyway. What a bait and switch scam! I'm so frustrated.
That's why I expect it won't happen, if at all possible. At the end of the day they'll roll out at least some $35K base cars even if it's at cost, to satisfy that commitment. They'll have the factory to build them (that the LR/AWD buyers paid for) and this bottom end is really towards their longterm goal that they've been building towards the last decade plus. EVs for the masses.

That $35K car represents the rationale for Tesla's very existence.

Oh, yeah, but I don’t think anyone would have bet that the “much faster” one would be the only one you could buy for 18 months! I recall seeing the debut and being fully convinced that it was reasonable to expect a 35k + mandatory options car in early/mid 2018. That’s not what we got at all.
18 months from "the end of 2017" stated? Remember, the beginning of production was ahead of that. If the SR start selling at their current estimated time, it'll be about 1 year past that.

Given that a lot of this delay (that you even expected some of, and I was of that mind, too btw) is scaled up more that one might expect because Tesla working so hard to get cars of any sort to the 1/4 million that signed up out of the gate in some sort of reasonable time frame (like 2020), if that doesn't count as a good faith effort and overall at least moderate competency then I'm not sure what does.

I sincerely hope Tesla succeeds but they’ve priced themselves out of my garage for now.

That's going to happen at the edges, people's lives interfere and they can't wait or they were on the bubble and missing a portion of this large tax credit will put them over. Especially considering just how many garages they are building themselves into, and the way the tax credit was worked. It's still going to get 10's of thousands of SR into early reserve folks at just about $31K pre-sales tax (and less in some states). Maybe a few below $30K, we'll see how that pans out.

But crying "bait and switch" (and I don't think I'm talking about you specifically here) is emotional ranting that's just not in line with reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmartElectric
Keep in mind that when we all stood in line and lent Elon $1,000 interest free the specs were “215 miles of range, $35k base.”

I expected them to launch with the high margin stuff as they always have but took that to mean $35k + PUP. I can swing that price point though it’s more than I’ve spent on a car in the past. After renting a Model 3 last weekend there was no question that it was worth stretching a bit to get such a dynamic car for ~$40k.

The extra $9k long range car didn’t exist publicly until July of 2017. It was a “one more thing” kind of deal.

Had Tesla stated on 3/31/16 that the only car available for 18 months after launch would cost a minimum of $50,000 I wouldn’t have taken a day off of work to stand in line and would have had an extra grand in the bank.

I expected delays, I expected mandatory upcharges for extra features at launch, I expected some Tesla shenanigans similar to past performance.

What actually transpired feels a bit like a bait and switch. I’m going car shopping this weekend and I’ll revisit Tesla in three years. So crestfallen.
That’s exactly me.
If they had said they’re introducing a $49,000 car that would have been fine. But Elon said $35,000. Now it’s two years later and he’s letting everyone jump the two year old line if they cough up any more dough.
I do wonder if this was Elon’s plan all along. Get the hype and interest but sell a much more expensive car.

Elon has lost credibility. Betrayed trust of those who reserved early. Why believe him now that the SR will be available in 2019 or ever. What if they really plan to string people along, never produce the base model or raise the price.
It’s not the delay it’s letting others cut the line that is so bothersome.
The website still says 12-18 months for a brand new reservation. Is that true? My two year old reservation has a minimum of 12 months to go. Seems little advantage to have $1000 tied up to hold a place in line if I keep getting moved to the back of the line. I might as well reserve if or when they actually make a $35,000 model 3.

I went shopping this week. Looked at Honda clarity, 2018 leaf, bolt. There are some good choices. If I get a decent 2-3 year lease I can come back and see what Tesla is promising then. Model Y. FSD by then?

• Disagree
Reactions: cdub
18 months from "the end of 2017" stated? Remember, the beginning of production was ahead of that. If the SR start selling at their current estimated time, it'll be about 1 year past that.

Given that a lot of this delay (that you even expected some of) is scaled up more that one might expect because Tesla working so hard to get cars of any sort to the 1/4 million that signed up out of the gate in some sort of reasonable time frame (like 2020), if that doesn't count as a good faith effort and overall at least moderate competency then I'm not sure what does.

That's going to happen at the edges, people's lives interfere and they can't wait or they were on the bubble. Especially considering just how many garages they are building themselves into, and the way the tax credit was worked. It's still going to get 10's of thousands of SR into early reserve folks at just about $31K pre-sales tax (and less in some states).

But crying "bait and switch" (and I don't think I'm talking about you specifically here) is emotional ranting that's just not in line with reality.

Fair point. I should revise it to be “$50,000 minimum for the first 12 months of production.” Even so it would have prevented me from making a deposit, which is sort of my litmus test for whether or not this was handled professionally with the information they had on hand.

I am indeed emotional to a degree. Monday I was genuinely excited to hear the Q4 conference call to get some color on the ramp. My internal target was to get a car by June so I could drive it to Arizona for an annual gathering, which included my buffer against the mytesla account page showing a delivery of standard range by February of 2018.

To be honest 2017 was a very difficult year for me and regardless of how silly it is, the Model 3 was what I was keeping as a positive turn for 2018. That rug was just pulled out from under me. It stings.