Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range vs. Long Range acceleration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NOYB111

Mar 17, 2021
NY
I recently test drove a model 3 long range awd. It was awesome. What struck me most was the power when hitting the accelerator. It literally throws you back into the seat. I loved that. They did not have a rwd for me to test so I was disappointed. My question is, do you still feel the same extreme power of being thrown back into the seat in the standard rwd version when hitting the accelerator? I have searched the internet and cant find a clear answer. Thanks

This site has a comparison between the 0-60 times of the models which is the "push you back in your seat acceleration"
======================

(moderator note: edited thread title slightly)

Yeah I don’t really care which one is faster. That instant torque, feeling like a jet taking off, is what I was wondering. Wasn’t sure if the awd performed the same as the awd long range. Thanks for responding.

This site has a comparison between the 0-60 times of the models which is the "push you back in your seat acceleration"
======================

(moderator note: edited thread title slightly)
Thanks. I have read all kinds of stats. I was looking for some real world comments on how it feels from owners. Thanks for info.

The AWD and AWD long range are the same vehicle.

The SR+ is 0-60 in 5.3 seconds. the AWD is like 4.1. Its significantly faster. The SR+ does not have the same "press you back in your seat" sensation as the AWD. Whether its "enough" is up to the individual. What is without debate is it is noticeably slower off the line.

NOYB111, comparing with other cars you have owned or experienced may help. For example, I once had a 2002 (Australian) GM car with a 5.7 V8 and 320 HP. It could do 0-60 in about 6 secs. So the SR (RWD) at 5.3 secs is distinctly better than that. I would not call it "extreme", but still satisfying and still better than a pile of gas/diesel cars. It also depends when you want that g force experience. For example, the overtaking performance of the AWD versions is quite a lot better than the RWD version, because the power difference is significant, and the faster you go (Power/Velocity = Force; Force/mass approx = acceleration) that difference is more noticeable in the relative time you spend on the wrong side of the road.

You really need to find an SR+ to drive. Depending on where you live you might be able to rent one on Turo for about $100/day. The SR+ and LR drive quite differently from one another besides just 0-60 times. You have to remember that AWD and RWD cars are quite different from one another. The LR also has a curb weight that is almost 500lb more and you can definitely tell it's heavier when driving; the SR+ feels more nimble in and around town, but the LR feels more buttoned down on highways. I've always preferred the driving dynamics of RWD over AWD but that's a personal preference. The instantaneous torque is there in the SR+ and will still push you back into the seat...just not as much as the LR. I can't think of a single time where I needed more power/acceleration than what the SR+ delivers. If only the SR+ could be optioned with full premium audio :).

FWIW, the official 0-60 times of the SR+ are a bit conservative. You can find numerous tests of the SR+ that show it's closer to 5.1 seconds; not a huge difference by any means.

Reactions: brkaus
Yeah I don’t really care which one is faster. That instant torque, feeling like a jet taking off, is what I was wondering.

The two are directly related though.

The quicker your acceleration the more gs you pull (or fraction of 1g in this case- you'll need to order a Performance Model S to get above 1g) which is the push you into your seat feeling.