Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 steering - not loving it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You steer your car??? Gosh. I just let mine steer itself.

Joking aside, I find the Sport mode to be very nice. I remember when I first got my old 1989 Honda Civic. The car had no power, but the handling felt to me like a sport car. Coming to the Model 3 from the Roadster (which does not have power steering at all) the Model 3 is not as sporty, but it's a lot easier.

But seriously, I don't steer it all that much any more. AP has gotten good enough that I mostly use it whenever I can.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I have only had the car 3 days but after 500 miles I find the comfort mode seems soft and just wrong, standard feels fine most of the time and sport is best when sticking it to a windy road. I do find the braking to be less than satisfactory at high speeds ~120mph in my non-p. Braking seemed jerky, maybe it was the road, I dunno... not really an issue for most day to day driving. Not something I have experienced in other high performance cars.

Have 400 mostly highway driving miles on our AWD with 18” wheels. To me standard steering feels great for highway and good for cornering. Very relaxing and stable. Coming from 2012 Mini, 2005 Mini, Porsche Boxster, and BMW 3 series. Have not experimented with the other two modes yet.

Yes I changed modes. I didn't like comfort at all. Standard seemed best.
Anything like this is a matter of getting used to. I had a car that had hydraulic brakes that weren’t better or worse, just different. The smaller radius is a nice feature for taking less room in the cabin. No need to see through it at gauges.

Have owned Toyota Supra, Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, BMW 330 is (E46), Audi S4 and S5, Tesla Model S, and now the Model P3D- 18”.

Model 3’s steering wheel and steering feel are my favorites of the bunch. For actual handling, the E46 is close, but I’d also give the nod to Model 3.

What small steering wheel? Did I get the optional large steering wheel without knowing it? Actually, I'm pretty sure it's bigger than my previous car. Yep. Just went out to the garage and checked. Definitely bigger.

I've test driven the Model 3 three times now, and I left loving everything except the steering.

It isn't terrible (like steering in newer BMWs, which is just an absolute disaster). There's no dead spot on center and it's a smooth consistent feel as your turn the wheel, which is great. But it isn't exactly relaxing like the rest of the Tesla driving experience. It's a small radius wheel, turning it requires a lot of effort, and it's so sensitive (almost twitchy?) so you need to pay attention to not to overreact and keep the car straight and smooth. Putting it on comfort it becomes too soft yet still twitchy. No no no.

Does this go away once you get used to it? Googling is turning up zero complaints about it so maybe it's just a matter of acclimating?

For reference, I'm used to hydraulic steering in my older E46 BMW and 987 Porsche Cayman. I know electric steering won't match cars like these. I just hope I do acclimate to the Tesla steering over time.
I thought the same thing when I first got the car, after 10,000 miles I don't even notice it anymore so yes you will get used to it, at first I did not like comfort at all, now its my favorite

Reactions: matto
I just test drove my first Model 3, albeit on very smooth roads. The resistance is nice, my favorite was sport setting, but absolutely no road feel, ie. feedback.
Coming from E46 M3 and more recently several rentals of 2018 Mustang GT's and Camaro SS's. Driving those cars I can tell what is happening with each front wheel, if one or both are in water and hydroplaning or starting in the gutter, or if I'm on ice, by the feedback through the steering wheel. This to me is part of being part of the car, and being connected to the road and the outside environment. The 3 feels disconnected, and to repeat another. is like "controlling" a Forza video game car. That and the removal of a screen directly in my front field of view takes me out of the model 3 markets. As much as I wanted to enjoy the car I dont think I will buy one, unless those features change. Maybe an aftermarket company will come up with a " road feel" accessory.

Steering feel is a personal preference. Usually determined by being used to what was in your previous car.

Model 3 is primarily tuned for a 4 door sedan. Mostly used for personal transportation. Many feel that it is perfect, giving good feel, quick response, good on center feel. It is electrically boosted, so will not give the same natural feedback you get from a direct or hydraulic booster.

Imagine you will get used to it pretty quickly.