Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Stock Aero Whees in Snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I got my model 3 a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, so I’m starting to think about winter driving. Does anyone have experience using the stock aero wheels in the snow? I would really prefer to not get another set of wheels if my current ones will be fine. Thanks for the help!

Minnesota driver. I went all last winter with stock Aeros on mine (RWD). Got around fine, no worse than all seasons on any other car. The only thing to watch out for is that if you take off on snow/ice the rear end will slide out a it before the traction control pops it back to straight. A little worrisome the first time it happens but you quickly learn the car still has things under control.

I did also try the suggested putting the car in chill and decided I could just control my acceleration fine in standard mode. Also the suggested putting regen in low, but in cold weather you have very restricted regen so that setting really made no difference.

I'm planning on getting winter tires this year just for the added stability. While I've had enough winter driving experience to do fine with all seasons, I'd like the better traction for the unexpected.

I had the stock 19s for the end of last winter with my AWD. The day I brought the car home it snowed 2-3 inches and I was very worried. Made it up hilly rural roads without slipping AT ALL. I now have stock 18s and I plan on sticking with them throughout the winter, although if I had the disposable income I'd get winter tires. Nothing compares. Winter tires are amazing.

Hey everyone, I got my model 3 a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it! I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, so I’m starting to think about winter driving. Does anyone have experience using the stock aero wheels in the snow? I would really prefer to not get another set of wheels if my current ones will be fine. Thanks for the help!
M3 with stock 18 inch rims handles quite well in the snow with snow tires on all four wheels. This is how I ran my car last year and I live in Tahoe CA and we had huge snow falls last year. Note with the stock tires like ANY car it is ok for occasional light snow but like any all season tires they suffer big time as the tread wears down so if you expect significant driving in the snow I recommend getting snows on the same 18 inch rims.

I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, so I’m starting to think about winter driving. Does anyone have experience using the stock aero wheels in the snow?

I live outside Traverse City, MI. Green Bay Is only 60 miles away over the Lake. Last winter I used the std Tesla all season 18 tires. They were nice, but required caution. I had to set the driving to “chill” and regeneration to low. Try it for a winter and see how you drive.

Last winter we stopped using the SUV and the Tesla was our first choice. So to improve driving safety in the winter, I bought Michelin XIce at Costco for this winter.

Note I have AWD which helps.