Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Strange "helicopter" noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any suggestions? I plan to take it into the Rockville, MD SC again here soon for the same thing.
Please, post if you figure something out. I’m thinking of getting the wheels rebalanced and then maybe alignment... I’m not sure if that’s the issue. I guess only changing wheels or justtires will help to understand if they are the problematic part. But that’s too expensive for a try:)

What tires do you guys have? I had this issue on a previous car. It was somewhat minimized by switching to a tire with less stiff sidewalls and rotating every 5k. Made sure the alignment was done right when I got a new set of tires. Some tires on some cars are just prone to feathering/cupping even if there is nothing wrong with the car. See: Mid 2000s BMWs with Bridgestone run flat tires.

Just want to update on my case.
I’m in Miami and we have two SCs here. When I addressed the issue to the mobile tech, she advised to make an appointment. She heard it, but she wasn’t sure what it is. She said to try tire rotation , so I made an appointment to Dania Beach and did the tire rotation (for around $90) and it didn’t help at all. I realized it when already left.

By this time I also got a rattling noise in driver’s side front suspension. Something was making sounds when you stop with your wheel turned right. And sometimes on slow speeds on bumpy roads. Tech guy at Dania Beach didn’t hear anything, while it was quite obvious so I decided to show it at another location (Coral Gables). As well as the rotational sound.

By that time, I understood that most probably tires were not causing that rotational sound I have. Coral Gables insisted that I needed new tires because by 10000 miles two of them needed replacement. Besides that they swapped some parts in suspension (rattling issue) which didn’t help and let me go. They offered new MXM4, but I hated them and despite being surprised by how fast they were gone, I was happy to do that, but for something else. I drove another 2500 miles and called Michelin to ask if that kind of wear was okay. Long story short, they gave me 57% discount for new PS4 with the foam inside which are not only cheaper than MXM4 but also truly performance summer tires. Believe me, it’s night and day. They are just wonderful, love them! But, noise was still there.
I made a new appointment with the same two issues: rotational sound that they kind of heard on a video, but can not replicate (of course) and rattling suspension. I had a guy driving with me, but he could only hear the suspension. At least something. In a few days I got my car back with fixed suspension (they changed pretty much everything there on the driver’s side) but with that rotational sound still being there. I didn’t have much time to check the issue because they had to fix a few clips that appeared to be broken, it wasn’t convenient for me to get back to them at that time, but I still need to find a way.

This sound drives me crazy and I’m confused. I have to turn music on or do something else to avoid hearing it. My wife doesn’t hear it either and I’m jealous for those people who just can’t, but I do. I don’t enjoy my car because that sound irritates me. How can I find someone who would be able to help me? How can I make tesla dig into this? What should I ask them for? Please give me an advise, because I don’t know what to do.

Some additional thoughts.
I drove on N to exclude motors (mine is AWD LR). Whining disappears, but rotational sound is still there. So it’s not the front motor or tires. Then it’s either brakes ( brakes are rearly used and could catch something between pads and the rotor. But it’s been there for thousands!) or bearing.
Brakes would also change sound on braking, but they don’t. Sometimes I feel vibration on smooth roads that is very common to the sound of the rotation sound. Same tact, beat. So I lean towards bearing. How can I check that? Maybe someone knows a good third party SC in Miami that I can show it to?
Thank you for your help, guys.

@Arsikos -Trying feeling your tires. All four of them. Run your hands front to back and side to side. If they feel uneven, your tires are cupped and it's what making the sound. Once a tire is cupped, there's not much you can do other than replacement. Rotation, alignment, balance, nothing will fix it.

Sometimes, it is fairly obvious like this picture below. Other times, you have to feel for it.
1618399397328.png

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KenC and Phlier
I have exactly the same problem with a 2020 P3D stealth. The problem started around 16k and I figured it was tire noise so I waited until I put new tires on the car (and alignment) at 20k expecting the noise to go away which it did not. I now have 25k on the car and the helicopter noise is still there. (no clicking noise and the frequency changes with speed) It is most noticeable around 30-45 mph but it can still be heard slower/faster than that. I had the car into the SC around 22k miles and they said they could not replicate it on the lift with the suspension unloaded but figured it was a wheel bearing after driving it. SC stated that they changed all 4 wheel bearings as they could not locate the noisy one in the shop. The day I picked the car up from the SC the noise had not changed ... fast forward to today and the it is the same, maybe slightly louder.

At low speeds around 15-20 it sounds like almost a slight grinding. No wobble in the wheel or vibration when driving at any speeds.

I will say that when I go down a short steep hill, making the suspension "unloaded" and the noise briefly goes away until the suspension bears the full weight of the vehicle.

The noise drives me crazy. I feel like I am driving a dump truck with the wheel/rotational noise.

Anyone have any suggestions? I plan to take it into the Rockville, MD SC again here soon for the same thing.
you figure it out yet?????? Mines happens when i go over 100 MPH