TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 stuck on charge status screen while charging

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Cycle11111, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Cycle11111

Cycle11111 Member

Recently I noticed that if I am sitting in the car my model 3s MCU screen is locked on the charge status screen. Net net can’t access any media, map, app selector etc. However if I open the door the screen “releases” and allows me to access any of the functions or apps - close the door and it locks back to the charge screen. I am on 40.50.7 but this started around 40.40ish not sure exactly. Also I have noticed at the same time that when I first open the door the screen is illuminated, but once I get in and close the door it goes dark until I hot the break and that wakes up the screen again. Any ideas

2. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Press the brake pedal to see if you wake it up

3. Cycle11111

Cycle11111 Member

Tried that multiple times. It is sort of nuts - open the door and it gives you screen control but then close the door and screen shows only charge info. Only does this if car is plugged into to charge and behaved like this both at my home charger plus super charger.

4. kayaker

kayaker Member

mine does the same for the past month or so.currently on 40.50.1

5. Timbo2

Timbo2 Member

My guess is that it is the sensor that determines if someone is sitting in the driver's seat.

However, I've no idea if the problem is software or actually an issue with the hardware.

6. Letmee

Letmee Member

Mine has the same problem. I thought that after 2020.20.12 update the charging screen will go away but did not.

7. kayaker

kayaker Member

mine is getting parts ordered and repaired free of charge next week. schedule service.

8. Letmee

Letmee Member

I got the same issue, charging screen stuck and when you get in the car everything shuts down like air and screen goes blank. Scheduled service and they replaced the seat sensor and everything is back to normal.

9. openGlovebox

openGlovebox Member

10. openGlovebox

openGlovebox Member

I have this issue as well. Sometimes if I get lucky, I scroll the volume button up and down before shutting the door and it resolves it. I will definitely schedule service call.

11. DaveKman

DaveKman New Member

Stuck on the charge status screen while charging.

I have discovered if.., after plugging in the charging cable then triggering the door lock via the screen BEFORE closing the door the problem goes away. This has not always been the case for me. Normally, I was able to access all of the screen features regardless if the doors were locked or unlocked while charging.

Does this work for anyone else having this issue?

12. kgvickers

kgvickers Member

I'm having this exact problem. I scheduled a service and explained the problem and the forum advice about the seat sensor. Service replied with "this is normal operation". Huh? While I'm at a supercharger I'm supposed to be blinded by the bright charging status screen?

13. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

Hey, I've had this too... It can't be all of our seat sensors going kaput at the same time. Something else must not be right...

14. kgvickers

kgvickers Member

Update: After mild protest, Tesla service gave me an appointment to bring the car in. I'll update here after it's (hopefully) fixed.

The work-around mentioned earlier in this thread sorta works. I plug the charge cable in, then get in the car but before closing the driver's door I lock the doors. After I close the door the screen goes dark. Next, tap the brake pedal and the screen wakes back up and I have full access, but only for a few minutes. Rinse, repeat, then I have a few more minutes.

15. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

Please keep us informed. The sensor in my seat might be bad after all, sometimes I get out of the car and the lights and AC stay on... I was assuming a software glitch... Curious to see what response you get.

16. elptxjc

elptxjc Member

Shouldn't the car shut off when it doesn't detect the card/fob/phone anymore??? And does the driver seat have a sensor, like the airbag one on the passenger side? I want to know what's the most convenient way to walk out of the car when going to a supermarket or something. And also to charge it. Does the car have to be all closed, or also locked? Thx.

17. kgvickers

kgvickers Member

No luck with the service center. They said my seat sensor is good. They tried resetting everything and reloading all software and firmware but no improvement. They are passing the info up the chain and I’m scheduled for another appointment in a few weeks, hopefully with a fix in mind.

Don’t know if it’s related, but my phone no longer autoconnects the BT.

Arg.

• Love x 1