Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 suddenly decided my phone was no longer my key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
I had a weird experience yesterday. My wife (she of the always-winning-phone-key) and I were out and about, and after parking the car we got out simultaneously, and the car locked upon walk-away.

When I returned to the car alone, my phone key was no longer recognised. Pulling on the handle did nothing and the car screen exhorted me to tap a key card. I always carry it with me, of course, so it was a minor annoyance, but my phone was still listed as a key under the Locks menu.

After getting home, walking away did not automatically lock the car (I did not manually lock with the card). Later when my wife got home, the car locked itself when she walked past!

My phone could still not unlock it, so I had to manually remove it as a key and re-add it.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

Assume you have an iPhone and running CovidSafe app.
Happens to me all the time since I installed the app.
CovidSafe stuffs the iPhones Bluetooth stack up regularly with is constant polling of Bluetooth.
Just turn the iPhones Bluetooth off and on and it all works again.

Reactions: FlyingReindeer
If you are using an Android phone, it can happen if your phone has crashed after your car has automatically locked.

Android will automatically restart after the crash without you knowing. However, the car will not automatically unlock when you walk to it.

It has happened to me a few times. You can test it out by restarting your phone after locking your car. Do not unlock your Android phone after the restart and check if the car unlock when you walk to it.

this happens with tesla and bluetooth every so often.

I have no apps (essentially) on my phone, I keep it (android) 99% clean of stuff that isn't 100% needed. I'm pretty security aware (part of my day job).

and yet, with my nearly 'empty' phone, I still get the 'you must keycard in' message about 1 in 50 times. not often at all, but usually after a major software upgrade.

stopping bt on your phone and restarting it, anyway you way, often re-binds things and its usually on the tesla side, from my experience (phones suck, but tesla's BT is still beta-quality imho)

Perhaps I should have added in my OP that I have an iPhone. And yes, running CovidSafe since it was released, but this was the first time this has happened. Looks like the consensus is BT off then on again! Thanks.

Not that you want to carry something around always, but the Model 3 key fob is quite handy and works quite well. Only issue is you have to import one from the USA.
I always have my wallet with me when I drive, because my license is in my wallet, as is the Tesla keycard. I did once think I would definitely want a fob and would hate using my phone as my key, but I changed my mind once I got the car. If my phone keeps playing up though I might not remain so happy.

I had a weird experience yesterday. My wife (she of the always-winning-phone-key) and I were out and about, and after parking the car we got out simultaneously, and the car locked upon walk-away.

When I returned to the car alone, my phone key was no longer recognised. Pulling on the handle did nothing and the car screen exhorted me to tap a key card. I always carry it with me, of course, so it was a minor annoyance, but my phone was still listed as a key under the Locks menu.

After getting home, walking away did not automatically lock the car (I did not manually lock with the card). Later when my wife got home, the car locked itself when she walked past!

My phone could still not unlock it, so I had to manually remove it as a key and re-add it.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?
It also happens when you get signed out of the Tesla app - unknowingly. Has happened to me twice.

It happened again today. Turning Bluetooth off and back on again did the trick.

If you aren’t leaving the house for awhile and feel comfortable about disabling CovidSafe app, just turn off the apps access to Bluetooth. When I have Bluetooth disabled for the CovidSafe app, I don’t have problems.
Once I turn Bluetooth back on for it, I have problems within 24 hours. It screws my Bluetooth stack up big time.
I know when my Bluetooth headphones and Apple Watch don’t work that it’s time to restart Bluetooth.
Wish the government would consider the Apple/Google API for the CovidSafe app.

If you aren’t leaving the house for awhile and feel comfortable about disabling CovidSafe app, just turn off the apps access to Bluetooth. When I have Bluetooth disabled for the CovidSafe app, I don’t have problems.
Once I turn Bluetooth back on for it, I have problems within 24 hours. It screws my Bluetooth stack up big time.
I know when my Bluetooth headphones and Apple Watch don’t work that it’s time to restart Bluetooth.
Wish the government would consider the Apple/Google API for the CovidSafe app.
The weird thing is, I've had CovidSafe on my phone since it was launched, but Saturday was the first time this has happened. I can't remember when I updated to the most recent CovidSafe App (I only update apps manually), but it's been a couple of weeks since the last iOS update, that can't be the cause.

The weird thing is, I've had CovidSafe on my phone since it was launched, but Saturday was the first time this has happened. I can't remember when I updated to the most recent CovidSafe App (I only update apps manually), but it's been a couple of weeks since the last iOS update, that can't be the cause.
This has also happened to me from time to time. I found that if i manually open the boot, all is normal again. Don't know how that works but.....