Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 suddenly lost EAP Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone else said up thread, this is something people who buy these cars have to accept. The car as its delivered WILL change, it will NOT remain static

One of my favorite things about Tesla. The vehicle transmogrifies over time.

In tesla's case its normally ineptitude, and not malfeasance / outright fraud, but its not surprising. OP likely knew they didnt pay for it, but expected to have it "because its there now".

Malfeasance? Not at all. Possibly sales rep that thought they were getting one over on the company? Sure. "Hey I'll just hit the button - nobody will ever figure it out....."

I am still unclear on how a NEW car purchased FROM TESLA itself would have EAP on it and not have it on the invoice, but this is not the first person to report this "error" has been corrected.

End-of-quarter "deal sweetener"? I can see that.

BTW - I know exactly the Little Mermaid cover you're talking about, and probably have one around here somewhere too. One of the most infamous "easter eggs" of all time.

And yes we really are two peas in a pod - which NAS do you use? I've got a Synology RackStation RS2818RP+ humming away in the basement 24x7. Massive overkill, but that's kinda my signature move... LOL. Dang thing runs like a top, and replicates to another Synology parked at a family member's place.

One of my favorite things about Tesla. The vehicle transmogrifies over time.

Malfeasance? Not at all. Possibly sales rep that thought they were getting one over on the company? Sure. "Hey I'll just hit the button - nobody will ever figure it out....."

End-of-quarter "deal sweetener"? I can see that.

BTW - I know exactly the Little Mermaid cover you're talking about, and probably have one around here somewhere too. One of the most infamous "easter eggs" of all time.

And yes we really are two peas in a pod - which NAS do you use? I've got a Synology RackStation RS2818RP+ humming away in the basement 24x7. Massive overkill, but that's kinda my signature move... LOL. Dang thing runs like a top, and replicates to another Synology parked at a family member's place.

Totally off topic but I have a QNAP brand NAS that is several years old and almost full (6 2TB drives in it in a raid 5 config).

Yes it was purchased new from tesla. I was told by my salesperson that my car had EAP because it was already on the lot. I didn't order through the website.
Thing 1: SR+ was never offered with EAP at all. EAP was discontinued at the time the SR+ was introduced. So, it was not possible to order/have an SR+ with EAP. The two options are Autopilot and Full Self Driving.

Thing 2: The only thing that matter is what is printed on the MVPA (purchase agreement) you signed.

As it was a demo car, it probably had FSD active so it could be demonstrated and they finally got around to auditing (there are other reports of this happening as well).

My March 2019 SR+ build did not come with AP, they did send me a free trial which I opted out. Shortly after, I believe the following month April because I missed it with in 3 weeks they did the AP as a standard feature but they added it to the price increase.

Check and see what your Build date is, should be on the driver side door jam sticker upper left corner. Unfortunately it all comes down with paperwork, your order form agreement.

Fred

Thing 1: SR+ was never offered with EAP at all. EAP was discontinued at the time the SR+ was introduced. So, it was not possible to order/have an SR+ with EAP. The two options are Autopilot and Full Self Driving.

Thing 2: The only thing that matter is what is printed on the MVPA (purchase agreement) you signed.

As it was a demo car, it probably had FSD active so it could be demonstrated and they finally got around to auditing (there are other reports of this happening as well).

My SR+ was given EAP. There was even a change order put in the day I purchased and took delivery. Tesla dealer has acknowledged this.The day after I took it home I had EAP. I didn't know that was what it was called till a few weeks later.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don't care what My purchase agreement shows. I was told it was part of my purchase and I had it up until Feb 23rd.

If you paid for it, then it will show that on your purchase agreement, and Tesla should (and must) restore it for you. If you didn't pay for it, well, you got a freebie for 10 months, which doesnt sound so bad to me.

(I once moved into an apartment and found I had "free" cable by mistake .. after 8 months the cable company noticed and it was stopped. I didn't feel I had any right to demand it be restored.)

If you paid for it, then it will show that on your purchase agreement, and Tesla should (and must) restore it for you. If you didn't pay for it, well, you got a freebie for 10 months, which doesnt sound so bad to me.

(I once moved into an apartment and found I had "free" cable by mistake .. after 8 months the cable company noticed and it was stopped. I didn't feel I had any right to demand it be restored.)

From this OPs point of view though, in your situation it would be like the apartment manager told you that the apartment CAME with free cable to get you to sign the lease, then 8 months later the cable company turned off the cable. Then, you went and looked at your lease agreement and there was no mention of the free cable anywhere in the contract.

Its not like I dont understand why this OP would be frustrated with this, but going with the above example, the cable company says "sorry we dont have any documentation this is included anywhere, and the conversation you had with someone does not matter. Please provide some documentation, or pay for the cable if you want it".

Unless there is some documentation of the "free cable" offer (EAP), this OP is SOL... but I understand the frustration. Saying that, car deals specifically, people should know that the only thing that matters is whats in the purchase agreement..... but buying a connected car is a situation where things there can actually be taken away, so "there is no free lunch". Even if something is there, there is no guarentee it will stay there, unless its "supposed" to be there.

Reactions: rdskill
EAP wasn't available for purchase in April of 2019. Gotta pay to play.
Not as such, but there have been so many permutations since I bought my car in June 2018 that I can't keep track. All I know I purchased whatever AP was available (not FSD), and I have EAP. I've never upgraded. The kicker is that I have all the functions of current FSD except ability to see the traffic cones, etc., but if I want to pay to upgrade to FSD, Tesla wants to charge me 4K to buy all the stuff I already have.

From this OPs point of view though, in your situation it would be like the apartment manager told you that the apartment CAME with free cable to get you to sign the lease, then 8 months later the cable company turned off the cable. Then, you went and looked at your lease agreement and there was no mention of the free cable anywhere in the contract.

Its not like I dont understand why this OP would be frustrated with this, but going with the above example, the cable company says "sorry we dont have any documentation this is included anywhere, and the conversation you had with someone does not matter. Please provide some documentation, or pay for the cable if you want it".

Unless there is some documentation of the "free cable" offer (EAP), this OP is SOL... but I understand the frustration. Saying that, car deals specifically, people should know that the only thing that matters is whats in the purchase agreement..... but buying a connected car is a situation where things there can actually be taken away, so "there is no free lunch". Even if something is there, there is no guarentee it will stay there, unless its "supposed" to be there.

To be fair to the OP, your analogy is almost spot on, except that the apartment manager also works for the cable company.

It’s shady folks like this salesperson who Tesla needs to drop a hammer on. They make the whole thing a mess.

Not as such, but there have been so many permutations since I bought my car in June 2018 that I can't keep track. All I know I purchased whatever AP was available (not FSD), and I have EAP. I've never upgraded. The kicker is that I have all the functions of current FSD except ability to see the traffic cones, etc., but if I want to pay to upgrade to FSD, Tesla wants to charge me 4K to buy all the stuff I already have.

*except that you have the HW2.5 Computer instead of HW3.0, and we have zero idea if tesla will continue to develop features for HW2.5 cars. My bet is "no" they wont (I bet with my money, by purchasing FSD during the March 2019 fire sale at 2k for those of us who had EAP).

I dont even really use NOA, etc... I just wanted to ensure I had "the latest hardware" because I plan on having this car for a long time, and am a person who suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out) greatly, with tech. 2k was a palatable price for me for the new hardware.... I just looked at it as pre purchasing HW3.0. If it was still 2k for those who have EAP, a lot more would buy it.

I would not have bought it for 4k right now, myself, but then would be annoyed with whatever new features come out my "car cant do because it has old hardware".

Should we change the title to "My Model 3 suddenly lost my free trial of EAP" now?

Yep.

It’s shady folks like this salesperson who Tesla needs to drop a hammer on. They make the whole thing a mess.

Also yep. Iterating on my post from above, and to the OP, I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. It sucks to have anything taken away that was intended. But seriously, anyone who is old enough to buy a car (contracts!) had better know the difference between a promise and a contract. The problem here isn't Tesla though, it's the human element who promised it -- and to a lesser degree, the acceptance of the OP as some sort of permanent purchase. Lessons to be learned all around...

Not as such, but there have been so many permutations since I bought my car in June 2018 that I can't keep track.

There really haven't though.

There's been one.

Pre ~March 2019 the options were:

EAP (which includes all features up through enhanced summon- but is now feature complete and is not promised to get anything new in the future)

FSD (an add-on if you already had EAP- and which provides a free HW3 upgrade and all future additional features up to and including features that largely get you to level 4 or 5 self driving)

Post 3/19 the options are:

Basic AP (which is only TACC and single-lane auto-steer- and initially was a paid option on all versions- and a month or so later became a forced non-option on everything except the base SR)

FSD (an add-on on top of basic AP- which adds all the exists-right-now features beyond basic AP that EAP used to have- plus the HW3 upgrade if you need it- plus TWO specific future features- reacting to stop lights/signs, and a city version of NoA...so much narrower in promise than the earlier FSD)

That's it.

The pricing has changed a little a couple times, but the actual options just once.

*except that you have the HW2.5 Computer instead of HW3.0, and we have zero idea if tesla will continue to develop features for HW2.5 cars. My bet is "no" they wont (I bet with my money, by purchasing FSD during the March 2019 fire sale at 2k for those of us who had EAP).

I dont even really use NOA, etc... I just wanted to ensure I had "the latest hardware" because I plan on having this car for a long time, and am a person who suffers from FOMO (fear of missing out) greatly, with tech. 2k was a palatable price for me for the new hardware.... I just looked at it as pre purchasing HW3.0. If it was still 2k for those who have EAP, a lot more would buy it.

I would not have bought it for 4k right now, myself, but then would be annoyed with whatever new features come out my "car cant do because it has old hardware".
Dude your on every single post allday long. Don’t u have a job or something?

• Funny
Reactions: ord3r
My SR+ was given EAP. There was even a change order put in the day I purchased and took delivery. Tesla dealer has acknowledged this.The day after I took it home I had EAP. I didn't know that was what it was called till a few weeks later.
What does it say in your Tesla account? Are you sure it wasn't "Autopilot"?

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.17.33 AM.png

A friend of mine took delivery a week after I did back in June 2018. We both ordered identical cars. His came with EAP activated and mine didn’t. He’s had a free trial for the entire time. I think some of these people, once Tesla catches up and removes it try to say oh it was promised to me by a sales person when they know full well they got lucky and enjoyed a feature they otherwise should have had to pay for. My buddy still has it and knows it’s all borrowed time. If I were told that by a salesperson I would have known or suspected it was bs and asked for it writing.

Seriously, where’s the limit on ‘oh ok’? The salesman promised me a new car after I hit 50k miles? The salesman said he’d extend my warranty by 100k miles and two years?