Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Summon In and Out of a Tight Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is nice to finally have summon. I only got it with 2018.26.3 a week ago. I’ve noticed that sometimes when pulling into my garage summon will stop a few inches before my garage like it detected an obstacle when there was nothing in the way. I then have to start summon again and then it will pull forward into the garage. It’s a minor annoyance, hopefully it will become more reliable with future updates.

Reactions: Superskillz
Congrats! This is actually really helpful for me. I have an old house with a tight, detached garage. My current car (2012 Volt) doesn’t have folding mirrors and I have whacked them a few times while backing out. The only thing we are all really missing is automatic charging. Then we can really take advantage of summon + homelink.

Just got the summon update and it is awesome. I used to sweat pulling the car out, but the Model 3 can now do it by itself!

That swerve at about 0:15s as you were also moving the camera right? LOL, that was a suspense builder. ;) Not ashamed to say I flinched.

"Dad, you know how the garage is a tight fit and they've got this sweet Summon thing but it's all in beta and everything, I'm pretty sure?"

"Uhhh..."

"Well, thing is the front passenger quarter-panel might need a little buffing out at a detailer."

"....."

"Oh, and on the way we definitely should stop by Home Dept to order a sheet of plywood. Maybe a couple wall studs."

Last edited:
I have a wide garage, but I do have the garage full of schite. So I have enough space to get in and out myself but wanted to see Summon work. I was told before summon was released for the M3, so not surprised but disappointed to confirm that it will not go up even the tiniest bump, so if you have weather stripping across the entrance of the garage, it will not cross that line.

The car comes in and instead of staying in line with the one side of the garage, it steers towards the center of the free space which gets wider, and it keeps stopping. If I start summoning it back in it moves forward a little more. At best I still have about 6" to go before the door will close w/o hitting the car. What are the dimensions of garage that it supports?

I can then summon it back out, but it adds to the angle so it is stopped diagonally across my drive when it has pulled out.

When I go to try and back it out after pulling it in myself I get the message Summon canceled because the proximity sensors on my phone are covered. What???

-Randy

Does anyone know if Summon can work with garage in a city alley? With current vehicle I have to start turning as soon as I have clearance from door, wasn’t sure if Summon feature could take that into account or “learn” the best path/angle to take out.

I have a wide garage, but I do have the garage full of schite. So I have enough space to get in and out myself but wanted to see Summon work. I was told before summon was released for the M3, so not surprised but disappointed to confirm that it will not go up even the tiniest bump, so if you have weather stripping across the entrance of the garage, it will not cross that line.
Oh. Well that hoops me. :( Here they builders tend to put a fairly substantial lip right in the concrete, raising the garage floor up about 2cm from the driveway to keep rain from flooding back into the garage.

Well at least you saved me from the disappointment by warning ahead, thanks.

Last edited:
Just got the summon update and it is awesome. I used to sweat pulling the car out, but the Model 3 can now do it by itself!

That's "awesome" and doesn't make you sweat? When it jerked for no reason (or was there one?) it looked like it didn't have much room to make that dance and made me sweat just watching it -- and it's not even my car.

But good on your attitude. If someone posted that video with the title "Summons almost crashed my car" -- then bitched at it -- I would buy into that too. Yet that guy goes to bed upset with it and you go to bed happy with it. So I'll take your "cup half full" attitude any day.

I just hope it never crashes on you and bursts that bubble of awesomeness. With that tight garage (never seen one like that) summons is going to have to earn its keep.

Summon has been a complete failure for me.

I have a 2 car wide garage but Summon will pull in using all the space available for it even though I have set it to "tight". Summon will park like my 2 car garage is a 1 car garage. It doesn't hug the walls at all. I'm too scared to try with a car already in the garage. Used some cones and buckets but the sensors doesn't see them since they are only 2 feet tall.

Summon also doesn't work if I backed into my garage since using Summon forward will take the car all the way into the street no matter if I set it 10,20, 30 feet, etc. It just keep going off my driveway and past the sidewalk unless I stop it. I think it'll go into the street and only stops if it senses an object (never tried one because I manually stop summon when my tires rolled onto the street. The distance seems to only work when Summon is moving backwards. Works fine when I pull head in and use summon to back out of the garage at the set distance.

Summon also doesn't work if I backed into my garage since using Summon forward will take the car all the way into the street no matter if I set it 10,20, 30 feet, etc. It just keep going off my driveway and past the sidewalk unless I stop it. I think it'll go into the street and only stops if it senses an object (never tried one because I manually stop summon when my tires rolled onto the street. The distance seems to only work when Summon is moving backwards. Works fine when I pull head in and use summon to back out of the garage at the set distance.

If you set it so that you need to continuously hold down the button on your phone it will stop as soon as you let go of the button. I would never trust mine enough to just press the forward or reverse button once and have it figure out where to stop on it’s own.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
That's "awesome" and doesn't make you sweat? When it jerked for no reason (or was there one?) it looked like it didn't have much room to make that dance and made me sweat just watching it -- and it's not even my car.

But good on your attitude. If someone posted that video with the title "Summons almost crashed my car" -- then bitched at it -- I would buy into that too. Yet that guy goes to bed upset with it and you go to bed happy with it. So I'll take your "cup half full" attitude any day.

I just hope it never crashes on you and bursts that bubble of awesomeness. With that tight garage (never seen one like that) summons is going to have to earn its keep.

I think the jerking was overemphasized by my simultaneous camera move as it felt very minimal when it was happening. Also it's hard to see in the video but not only is the garage itself narrow, but there are two coils that are even narrower that the car has to avoid right on the exit.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
If you set it so that you need to continuously hold down the button on your phone it will stop as soon as you let go of the button. I would never trust mine enough to just press the forward or reverse button once and have it figure out where to stop on it’s own.

I live on a mountain where LTE is spotty due to it higher than cell towers and my WiFi is very weak by the driveway. I'm afraid the phone will lose connection, but as I type this, I think summon is using bluetooth. I will do more testing and maybe extend my Wifi if it's not on BT.

Might I ask about the width of that garage door?
Am trying to figure out if it will fit a San Francisco Victorian's garage...

Full width: 92 inches (7.67ft or 233.7cm)
Actual width due to metal coils: 90 inches (7.5ft or 228.6cm)
Car width with mirrors closed: ~76 inches (6.33ft or 193cm)
Clearance on each side: ~7 inches (.58ft or 17.8cm)

tesla-clearance.png

-Randy

I think it actually will go across a line if you turn off the constant press option as I experienced this testing on the street. That way you can press 'forward' twice allowing it to roll ahead. I'll have to give it another try to confirm this though.

Summon has been a complete failure for me.

I have a 2 car wide garage but Summon will pull in using all the space available for it even though I have set it to "tight". Summon will park like my 2 car garage is a 1 car garage. It doesn't hug the walls at all. I'm too scared to try with a car already in the garage. Used some cones and buckets but the sensors doesn't see them since they are only 2 feet tall.

Interesting. Maybe try laying a strip of white duct tape down in the middle of the garage and see if it maneuvers more appropriately.