Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 sunshades to black out the whole car (for sleeping)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm interested in the Evannex heat shield sunshades because they cover all the windows in the car (instead of half the front windows and half the rear window like so many sunshades on Amazon do). Bjorn Nyland uses them in his videos and they seem to the best on the market. The problem is, Evannex only deliver to the US and Canada.

Short of asking an American to take delivery and then send it across to me, does anyone know of a UK or EU based supplier of something like these? I've looked around on Amazon and none of them seem to cover every window - there's plenty that only cover half the front windows, and half the rear screen, which is useless for me.

I need:
  • Full coverage of every window of the Model 3
  • Black out, as opposed to the film-like material that still lets light through - I intend to use them for sleeping in the car
I'm sure there's at least a few other people here who have slept in the Model 3 and use sunshades for it!

Cardboard cut to size and suction cups from Amazon. A full windscreen impermeable sunshade about £25 so homemade cardboard only needed for the windows ... would I do that myself ... probably not ... I can afford the odd night of paid for accommodation!

81-EYEjPoWL._AC_SY450_[1].jpg

• Funny
Reactions: M3noob and Sparkeur
Some info here that may be useful:

The side window covers weren't really good enough so I ended up making my own from lycra and a cardboard template:

1629909711744.png

1629909734300.png

1629909767557.png

The screen cover doubles as a bag to store the window blinds in.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matt125
I'm sure there's at least a few other people here who have slept in the Model 3 and use sunshades for it!
Last year when temperatures reached 40c here and 30c+ at night, we slept in the car in camping mode. If you are trying to stop people looking in, then I understand about the full car blinds. If it's to 'sleep-in' in the morning, then simple 5€ eyeshades might be more economic...

Reactions: M3noob
Some info here that may be useful:

The side window covers weren't really good enough so I ended up making my own from lycra and a cardboard template:

View attachment 701187

View attachment 701188

View attachment 701189

The screen cover doubles as a bag to store the window blinds in.

Thank you - the link in your signature is a real treasure trove too, when I get my new Model 3 I'll move over some of the things I bought for this one, but I think I'll use your list for the things I don't have. I'm also going to go for an alcantara dashboard trim given that the new MIC Model 3s have wood going into the doors as well as the dash (overkill), but I don't know what I'm doing so will get R Symons to do it.

Reactions: Medved_77
Thank you - the link in your signature is a real treasure trove too, when I get my new Model 3 I'll move over some of the things I bought for this one, but I think I'll use your list for the things I don't have. I'm also going to go for an alcantara dashboard trim given that the new MIC Model 3s have wood going into the doors as well as the dash (overkill), but I don't know what I'm doing so will get R Symons to do it.
Not sure if RSymons offer the door inserts in Alcantara?

If not an option is DAJ AUTOMOTIVE

You can fit yourself (really easily) or if you're anywhere near Manchester you can pop in.

Hi, I'm interested in the Evannex heat shield sunshades because they cover all the windows in the car (instead of half the front windows and half the rear window like so many sunshades on Amazon do). Bjorn Nyland uses them in his videos and they seem to the best on the market. The problem is, Evannex only deliver to the US and Canada.

Short of asking an American to take delivery and then send it across to me, does anyone know of a UK or EU based supplier of something like these? I've looked around on Amazon and none of them seem to cover every window - there's plenty that only cover half the front windows, and half the rear screen, which is useless for me.

I need:
  • Full coverage of every window of the Model 3
  • Black out, as opposed to the film-like material that still lets light through - I intend to use them for sleeping in the car

I've got the full Evannex set here in Beds. PM me if you want to come trace them.

I’ve got these.
SunShades
I’ve also got another version of this
Mattress

Not sure if they ship to UK. But you might be able to get something similar elsewhere.

I was able to input my address, credit card information, even selected my country as Storbrittania!

Then I got this right as I tried to finalise the payment:

"Ingen fraktalternativer tilgjengelig for ditt land eller postnummer. Vennligst ta kontakt med oss."

Translates as "No shipping options available for your country or zip code. Please contact us."

:(

This looked exactly like what I wanted. I think I'll try to email them and see if they will do it if I pay extra for the shipping.

The pre-cut ones are extortionate. If you're crafty (with scissors!) and have a 1-2 hours free, I recommend having a go yourself and saving £200+

For the Windscreen, Roof and Rear I purchased this 3 set off Aliexpress for £23 which fits great (It's a little short on the rear, but if you put some clothes or a blanket up there on the parcel shelf and it's just fine) 12.84US $ 25% OFF|Sunshade for Tesla Model 3 Front Rear Window Windshield Skylight Aluminum foil EVA Sun Shade Anti UV Protected Model3 2017 2021|Windshield Sunshades| - AliExpress

Then for the windows, I went down to Wickes and brought a roll of radiator foil (Similar to this one, but they had a shorter and cheaper size in store) Wickes Thermal Foil Insulation Roll 600mm x 8m | Wickes.co.uk

And then got 3x2 meters of Black cloth for £3 from Ikea in the curtain section.

I cut a rough 1x1.5m section for each window from the foil. Then got in the car, and pushed it into the window cracks and used the back end of a sharpie to push it in as far as I could before tracing the window outline with the other end.

I took this inside and cut along the line (a little bigger) than the line for all 4 windows (or two if you just flip it).

Went back into the car, and trimmed each to size with scissors (make sure to go bigger than the window, you want to be able to slip it down behind the trim, so you don't need suction cups!

Then with the final finish, I placed them on the black cloth, cut the cloth roughly to size, neatened up the edges with black 3m tape, and used regular PVA glue to hold the cloth on! Compared to the alternative, I was very happy to save several £££

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Adopado